Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Rachik

Is Slimani good for the team ?

Why every time someone talk about Slimani, they need to specify that Leicester spent 30M to buy him. Yes, everyone know that.

The guy scored 31 Goal/44 apps in the last season. The market is going crazy last two years, and the move was done on the last moment.

If 30M is not good, then blame the staff that made the transaction.

Please, stop comparing 30M to what is the price of Ulloa or another player, they are all in the same boat now.

If we put all those Millions aside, and lets say every player worth 1£.

The important thing to discuss is :

---> Is Slimani good for the team ?

It's amazing when you see Peter crouch play game in and game out and he didn't score since May 2015 till last weekend, yet Stoke still have faith in him and plays him.

I think, for 30M Slimani will pay LCFC dividends this year, next year and the year after and even more. He's just been here for 4 months only.

Well, we wanted the top star strikers off TWO of our fellow CL group stage participants (Sporting CP and CSKA Moscow), so of course we had to throw lots of money at them. At least we have the funds to simply toss around whereas those clubs didn't have much say in the matter.

We lost Kanté, arguably the best player in the league last season, for around the same amount that Slimani cost. Of course people will make comparisons between deals.

It's a bit pointless, in a sense, as it's not our money, but everyone likes a good deal and hates being mugged off.

Expectations will always be there for expensive signings so it's futile to try to tell people not to pay attention to the price tag.

Look at Pogba, he's not exactly been shit either, but people expect him to be on a Messi/Ronaldo level straight away.

He has to constantly be in the same form that he's been in for the last few weeks to just appease the fans' and media's hunger.

It comes with the territory.

Guest CityFan 06

For me the formation on Saturday worked well for Slimani because he played as a virtually lone striker, which I believe he used to do at Sporting. If Albrighton and others can produce crosses like they did vs West Ham he will score goals. He's the type of player who needs service, like Benteke and Lukaku.

I think he's going to get better and despite the price tag he's still adjusting. I get the impression his movement in the box will be good if we play to his strengths.

In a 4231 or 433 with Gray and Mahrez either side of him then yes he will be good for the team. In a 442 where he's asked to do the Okazaki role then no he's not good.

Albrighton playing on the right also showed that benefits Slimani. He put in some fantastic first time crosses in. 

He has a work ethic but his ability is inconsistent in his time here so far, one game he is every bit a premier league player, another match and it can be painful to watch.

Is he important? obviously as he is a first team striker, will he avoid getting slated? nope, because when you are in the limelight you take the bad with the good, just like Vardy, Mahrez etc.,

Just because players get roasted on this forum for bad displays does not mean they are hated, mostlylol, it just means they have to stay above a certain level of performance.

6 minutes ago, CityFan 06 said:

He's the type of player who needs service, like Benteke and Lukaku.

True, but he's infinitely more intelligent on and off the ball than Benteke which is why I was astonished by those that were suggesting last summer that the latter would have been a good signing for the club. Slimani's work rate is also vastly superior.

4 hours ago, Fennec-Fox said:

It's amazing when you see Peter crouch play game in and game out and he didn't score since May 2015 till last weekend, yet Stoke still have faith in him and plays him.

I think, for 30M Slimani will pay LCFC dividends this year, next year and the year after and even more. He's just been here for 4 months only.

I bet Crouch barely made 20 appearances for Stoke last season, and most of his games this year have been 10 minute cameos.

Guest CityFan 06
Just now, Line-X said:

True, but he's infinitely more intelligent on and off the ball than Benteke which is why I was astonished by those that were suggesting last summer that the latter would have been a good signing for the club. Slimani's work rate is also vastly superior.

Yep, fair comment, I was suggesting that in terms of all three forwards (Lukaku maybe has more) base their games on aerial prowess. But for sure Slimani's work rate is good.

I really want to see Slimani get some 1 on 1 chances and/or general shooting opportunities. He's obviously very good with his head, but I'd like to see what else he can do.

I was impressed with him against West Ham but, as many have said already, we played to his strengths. Something we haven't been able to do with Vardy in the team - which is a worry!

1 hour ago, Benno_Levin said:

I really want to see Slimani get some 1 on 1 chances and/or general shooting opportunities. He's obviously very good with his head, but I'd like to see what else he can do.

I was impressed with him against West Ham but, as many have said already, we played to his strengths. Something we haven't been able to do with Vardy in the team - which is a worry!

I might have to stop you here. Pace in easy to nullify. Aerial ability and box movement is very hard. For pace you can just close the space between the keeper and the defensive line. But, as shown in the Porto match. No matter how much you prepare for an aerial player. If he is that good he will become unplayable. They know he was great with his head (skinned them more then once) but he is just that dominant. I said it before, pace is  the easiest ability to stop for a striker.

Unconvinced as yet, shows little ability in movement with the ball or finding another player. Was utter pants against Everton, but put in a reasonable shift against WHU, iof he's been playing whilst sick, need to take another look after next couple of games he plays for us...we don't know whether or not he's sent in the same sick note for the AFCON tournament.

at CF yes. Rotating Vardy/Slimani at CF will give us a different way to play. If teams sit deep, play Slimani, if we want to play on the counter, play Vardy. I think at number 10, we have better options than him (Okazaki, Ulloa, Mahrez).

Anyone slagging Slimani off needs to take a good luck at those 97 minutes from negredo.

Now that's what a donkey really looks like. I know to people who don't really understand football skills like positioning, movment, timing your runs and timing your jump come really easy to center forwards but trust me they don't. Islam is a serious footballer.

8 hours ago, Monsell1976 said:

Yes, wish people would give the bloke a break, his record this season is as good as any of our players, and has proved, play to his strengths, he has plenty of goals in him

Missed him today I feel.

Ulloa didn't play badly actually. He held the ball up ok and was working his socks off. Again, he got zero supply apart from a couple of average crosses.

But Slimani is a better finisher. 

He's technically very limited but he's proven that with a team that suits him, he can score a hatful. I know it's against Portuguese teams but would you have backed him to score many playing for Leicester against those teams? I wouldn't. He's proven that when he does get the service, he generally delivers.

You're always on a hiding to nothing once you start playing players outside of their capabilities.

Archived