Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

34 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Are @Zingari, @lavrentis, @YearOfTheFox, amongst other former popular members that haven't been heard in a while still alive? :unsure:

Clicking on their profiles it looks like @lavrentis still lurks, he logged in on Sunday, but hasn't posted since September 2016.

On 20/03/2017 at 19:53, separator said:

What's the best when it comes to replacing a fence. Fence spikes or just concrete the posts in a hole? I'll be using wooden posts. It will just be a 6 ft fence in my back garden, nothing fancy.

Generally a 6ft fence requires an 8ft post for good strength. So 2ft in the ground concreted all around. Is it panel fencing or a close board fence you're putting up?

id steer clear of the spikes if the fence is liable to crosswinds. 

I was a fencer many many moons ago until  the weather became constantly shit!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, stix said:

Generally a 6ft fence requires an 8ft post for good strength. So 2ft in the ground concreted all around. Is it panel fencing or a close board fence you're putting up?

id steer clear of the spikes if the fence is liable to crosswinds. 

I was a fencer many many moons ago until  the weather became constantly shit!

Close board fence, reckon I'll go the concrete route. Heard a few bad things about those fence spikes

Edited by separator

5 minutes ago, separator said:

Close board fence, reckon I'll go the concrete route. Heard a few bad this be about those fence spikes

For the best results you want to give the posts a day to set properly. Then rail & board it the following day. If that's an option for you. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

What do coach drivers do when not coaching people bout?

Nothing much,  I saw a documentary about a coach driver and he just said he reads newspapers or do some admin work during his breaks. 

Edited by The Blur

On 22/03/2017 at 20:51, Sharpe's Fox said:

What do coach drivers do when not coaching people bout?

I've been on a coach where the driver stopped and put a hammock up across the steps / drivers seat area and had a kip. This was in Asia admittedly though

Work-related question.

What's the estimated norm period in which a new employee should be settled in a job?

Basically I've had a new role since start of month now but still trying to get to grips with various documentations (both relating to the job, and external things like Timesheets etc, work email addresses and the like), the work process, and not being completely comfortable in doing the every aspect of the role unsupervised (got a line manager and contact details if need him).

Feel quite overwhelmed with everything above coming at once but think can get on top of it eventually and slowly starting to understand bits and pieces along the way.

Probationary period is 6 months at my company on the initial contract, but have that feeling like they want me to get stuck in with no issues straightaway..

2 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Work-related question.

What's the estimated norm period in which a new employee should be settled in a job?

Basically I've had a new role since start of month now but still trying to get to grips with various documentations (both relating to the job, and external things like Timesheets etc, work email addresses and the like), the work process, and not being completely comfortable in doing the every aspect of the role unsupervised (got a line manager and contact details if need him).

Feel quite overwhelmed with everything above coming at once but think can get on top of it eventually and slowly starting to understand bits and pieces along the way.

Probationary period is 6 months at my company on the initial contract, but have that feeling like they want me to get stuck in with no issues straightaway..

Kin el mate, give yourself a break! You've only been in the role for a few weeks FFS.

In my experience it takes at least 3 months for new employees to familiarise themselves with new processes, culture and ways of working.

Any employer worth their salt will acknowledge this and give you the time and space to find your feet.

Just be curious and ask ask plenty of 'What? and How?' open questions as you learn the ropes.

It's a six month probationary period for a reason so don't expect too much too soon of yourself.

If you're willing, committed and hard working it will all work itself out anyway.

Be patient, keep learning, and believe in your skills and competency - that's why they employed you in the first place...

• Like 3

On 24/03/2017 at 22:27, Wymeswold fox said:

Work-related question.

Just try focusing on the areas you struggle with most and keep asking questions. I've always found it best to ask people on similar levels, rather than superiors for the stuff that would be considered more basic. Blow smoke up their arse if necessary to keep it low key. Don't beat yourself up, I've moved jobs twice recently, doing the same thing and it's amazing how differently things are done :thumbup:

On 24/03/2017 at 22:27, Wymeswold fox said:

Work-related question.

When you get taught how to do things make sure you write them down, your employer won't mind you asking them lots of questions as long as you're not constantly asking them the same thing over and over.

• 3 weeks later...