Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2015/16 Stuff it in here.

It's a win-win situation for any manager in my opinion. If McClaren does well (top 10) then the Newcastle fans love him and his reputation is enhanced for doing well working under Ashley. If he does badly he won't take any of the blame as the fans are more bothered about Ashley than they are about McClaren nowadays and the media will comment how he was working under a poor ownership. 

Fair enough. I know Carver was not the most popular choice but everyone including Newcastle fans could see he was inept long before his meltdown- the same can happen with McClaren. 

Andre Ayew signs for Swansea.

Think that's a cracking signing on a free.

Spot on. Very, very good player. Should do well in the Premier League. Think he could – if he adjusts – do a job for a top five club, never mind Swansea. 

I do not really understand managers who take jobs at unstable clubs with crazy chairmen such as Blackpool, Cardiff and Newcastle. I understand some needed money or to get their foot on the first rung of the ladder but I thought McClaren is capable of waiting for a better job.

I've often thought this but then I guess that the type of manager who gets these kinds of jobs tend to be guys who've been sacked from another club, not up and coming coaches. As such they're probably well aware that they've got a very limited shelf life so it's probably a case of take a job working for a nutter and get paid for a year maybe two or sit at home and get paid diddly squat whilst gambling that a better job comes up.

At £93,000 a week for four years it's hardly free.

Swansea have invested £20,000,000 in him.

Well obviously. But I imagine he'd command a fee of £10m plus if he was under contract and he'd still be on big wages.

If he does well, as I think he will, as he's only 25, Swansea can command a good selling on fee.

I'd rather that deal than pay £10m for Robin van Persie as has been rumoured.

At £93,000 a week for four years it's hardly free.

Swansea have invested £20,000,000 in him.

If that's the case then its a massive gamble in my opinion. For saying he was 'free' and apparently top drawer why didn't an Arsenal or a Chelsea go in for him?

Rubbish. Despite what many will think Steve McLaren is a good manager and Derby were daft to get rid of him.

I agree. But for some odd reason I wonder why he struggles to take most clubs over that final hurdle. Always seems to put clubs in good positions then gets laid off. Can see a same sort of situation going to happen at Newcastle to whats just happened at West Ham, getting rid off the manager who's laid down the foundations then bringing in a big name manager!

Middlesbrough:success, England:major flop considering the players, twente:success, wolfsburg:sacked, forest:sacked, twente: sacked, Derby:left/sacked. Not a great record, but if Ashley backs him with money, he could be alright. Still miles better than carver though.

Rubbish. Despite what many will think Steve McLaren is a good manager and Derby were daft to get rid of him.

Not criticising him as a coach as he's obviously very capable. Merely saying the way he conducted himself at the end of his tenure at England, Forest and Derby was embarrassing. I suspect, and hope, that he won't survive long. There's clearly something toxic about him as chairman after chairman are keen to get rid of him after relatively short stints.

The Wally with the Brolly has gone to Geordieland then..

Can't make up my mind whether he will bring them much needed stability or relegation.

Jury is out on that one.

I think he is a good coach - but as a top rugby coach said to me recently: the coach's options are often limited by the ability of the squad to implement the game plans... unless he gets new blood in they are doomed.

I think he is a good coach - but as a top rugby coach said to me recently: the coach's options are often limited by the ability of the squad to implement the game plans... unless he gets new blood in they are doomed.

Mataphorically speaking..you can't polish a turd.

You could be right.

I have a sneaky feeling though that some of their players ain't bad.

We'll see.

Mataphorically speaking..you can't polish a turd.

You could be right.

I have a sneaky feeling though that some of their players ain't bad.

We'll see.

For me they definitely have a fair few players there that aren't the steaming pile of shite they seemingly try so hard to be, but the attitude at the end of season run was god awful. Maybe some of it was down to coaching but then even so some seemed like they couldn't give less of a shite, so there may be a few 'bad eggs' to throw out before they can build a decent team.

Archived