Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
EnderbyFox

Terrorist Attacks

• 4 weeks later...

17th anniversary of 9/11..

Just about to watch a programme of the then-live footage of how it unfolded at the time. Still feel a strong negative shock about it.

Must've watched at least several programmes about how it unfolded etc, yet still stunned something like that happened.

Edited by Wymeswold fox
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Just about to watch a programme of the then-live footage of how it unfolded at the time. Still feel a strong negative shock about it.

Must've watched at least several programmes about how it unfolded etc, yet still stunned something like that happened.

We watched one the other night about the plane that crashed into the Pentagon and it was quite chilling ..

46 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

A nice respectful bump this Wymesy :thumbup:

Can't believe it's 17 years. I can remember exactly where I was and who I was with.

The most emotional documentary I ever saw on it was called "The falling man" about the famous picture and other images from that day. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

A nice respectful bump this Wymesy :thumbup:

Can't believe it's 17 years. I can remember exactly where I was and who I was with.

The most emotional documentary I ever saw on it was called "The falling man" about the famous picture and other images from that day. 

Bathroom and palmela handerson? Lol

On a serious note i was getting up to go uni classes, switched on the tele and saw it all unfold. Unreal. I had been visiting my then girlfriend in chicago and flew home the day before. Had i stayed 1 more day i would have been stranded in some farm university town in the middle of Illinois.

Ive watched some of those documentaries and listened to 911 calls when the buildings collapsed l. Horrible.  

I remember visiting nyc in my teens and going to the top of the towers seeing the cabs look like little sweet peas from so far up.

It was one of utterly horrifying days where you just couldn't quite believe what you were watching. Literally unbelievable. But also weirdly fascinating watching the events unfold. I seem to remember the news interrupting Diagnosis Murder on BBC1, I was supposed to be getting ready for work but just couldn't move from the TV.

First they think it's an accident then the second building was hit live on TV worldwide, Dubya's waiting for the end of a children's story while another plane hits the actual pentagon, and reports of another one crashed. Then people are falling from the towers and fire crews are running in as the first building collapses and dust covers everything. 

Still hard to believe it really happened. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Frightening, been twice at this time of the year, stunning around the Christmas market area....remember it being absolutely packed aswell so praying whoever was responsible was dealt with swiftly.

The fvck is this world nowadays...cant even have a lovely memorable night at a christmas market.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/12/12/strasbourg-shooting-christmas-market-terror-suspect-run-killing/

France says it cannot "rule out" that a suspected terrorist has fled to neighbouring Germany after killing at least three people and injuring 13 in the eastern French city of Strasbourg. 

Border controls have been strengthened and more than 600 people, including police, troops and helicopters were on the heels of the attacker who had "sowed terror" in the city, interior minister Christophe Castaner said.

Asked whether he may have left France, deputy interior minister Laurent Nunez said: "That cannot be ruled out."

According to Der Spiegel, the assailant had been in prison in Germany until 2017 on a sentence for “serious” theft handed out by Singen district  court in Bade-Wurtemberg next to the Alsace border. after which he was expelled to France.

The gunman, Strasbourg-born Cherif Chekatt, 29 was on a “S” security and terror watch list. Anti-terrorist prosecutors have opened an investigation.

However, Mr Nunez said: "The terrorist motive has not yet been established".

Questions were being raised over how the assailant had managed to evade capture on Tuesday morning. Police were due to arrest him for attempted murder after a botched armed robbery but he had escaped and a long rifle and stun grenade were found at his home.

Five of his suspected accomplices were arrested shortly before the attack, said Mr Nunez.

Shortly before 8pm last night, the assailant went on the rampage in Strasbourg’s city centre in the bustling rue des Ofrèvres armed with an automatic pistol and knife.

Police reported the attacker was shot and wounded by patrolling soldiers before he fled the scene. According to France Info, the suspect took a taxi driver hostage to escape soldiers. The driver reportedly escaped unharmed and said the gunman had a wounded arm.

The mayor of Strasbourg, Roland Ries, said the gunman got inside a security zone of the Christmas market to stage the attack.

He said police had narrowly missed catching the suspect last night at around 10pm. "There was an exchange of fire. Police told me that they were waiting for him on a cycle path.

"And when he approached them in the dark, they shone a torch in his face, which blinded him, but he immediately opened fire. They riposted and it may have been at this time that he was wounded," he told France Info.

"The government has raised its security threat to the highest level and is bolstering border controls," Mr Castaner told a late-night news conference. "We will also reinforce security at all Christmas markets to prevent copycat attacks."

Mr Castaner said the suspect has an existing criminal record. According to Le Figaro, he has 20 previous convictions.

More than 12 hours after the bloodshed, the regional prefect said that 13 other people had been injured, eight in a critical condition.

Theresa May said she was "shocked and saddened" by the "terrible" attack in Strasbourg. She tweeted: "My thoughts are with all of those affected and with the French people."

Terrified residents and tourists sought cover in bars and restaurants and footage on social media showed at least one victim lying on the ground as others screamed.

The gunman was wounded by soldiers on patrol as part of France’s Sentinelle anti-terror operation but managed to flee, said police. One of the soldiers was wounded in the hand in the exchange.

A local man named Philippe told Europe 1 radio: “I saw a person on the ground, unconscious and bleeding. There was another person on the ground just behind, and one or two more a bit further along the street.”

One eyewitness, who tried unsuccessfully to resuscitate a Thai tourist shot by the gunman, said: “I though it was just firecrackers but it turned out to be actual gunshots.

“I saw one person lying there, a tourist from Thailand accompanied by his wife or girlfriend was unhurt. We tried resuscitation efforts for 45 minutes. We dragged him into a restaurant close by and we tried our best to bring him back to life with CPR but it seemed that that was futile.”

The European Parliament was in lockdown, with MEPs, staff and journalists unable to leave the building, a few kilometres from the square.

Caught in drama was Sajjad Karim, the British MEP who survived the 2008 Mumbai terror attack in which 174 died by hiding in the basement. He said: “I am in the EP completely safe and unable to leave at present. It’s an unfolding situation: and my thoughts are with the victims.”

Richard Corbett, a Labour MEP, tweeted that he was in a restaurant in the centre of Strasbourg, adding: “Restaurant locked and not letting anyone in or out.”

Jean-Claude Juncker, president of the European Commission, said: “Our thoughts are with the victims of the Strasbourg shooting which I condemn with great firmness. Strasbourg is par excellence a town that symbolises peace and European democracy.”

Across the city centre people were ordered to stay put, with some 5000 spectators still being held at a basketball game at 1am local time.

Spectators who were trapped at the SIG Strasbourg basketball game reportedly began singing  the French national anthem "to pay homage to the victims of the shootings". 

They eventually were allowed to leave, with those with nowhere to go housed at a gymnasium, the prefect tweeted.

The Interior Minister announced that protests would be banned on Wednesday in order for police to be "mobilised completely".

French MPs at the National Assembly expressed their solidarity and the Senate held a minute’s silence. President Emmanuel Macron held a crisis meeting with cabinet officials in Paris shortly after midnight.

Francois de Rugy, the French ecology minister, tweeted: “Solidarity and support for the people of Strasbourg. Our support too for the security forces. We are united and determined to protect the French people.”

But some already started criticising Mr Macron’s security credentials.

“How many terror attacks by those on “S” watchlist do we have to suffer before adapting our law to the fight against terrorism. What are we waiting for to finally wage war to eradicate Islamic fundamentalism that has declared war on us?”, asked Laurent Wauquiez, the Right-wing Republicans party leader.

Far-Right leader Marine Le Pen said: “A radical change must happen as terrorism policy is clearly failing.”

France remained on high alert after a wave of attacks commissioned or inspired by Islamic State militants since early 2015, in which about 240 people have been killed.

Fears of terror strikes had waned in recent months. Instead, the country has been more concerned about an ongoing nationwide“yellow vest” revolt as protesters call for lower taxes and higher wages.

However, four “radicalised” men were arrested at the start of the revolt in early November and charged with plotting to carry out a terror attack during the first “yellow vest” protest. A hunting rifle was found and police said there was evidence they were trying to acquire a Kalashnikov.

Christmas markets have been considered a terror target ever since the foiled terror attack in December 2000. The al-Qaeda plot, in which a truck bomb was due to be detonated beneath the steps of Strasbourg cathedral, next to the market, has been described as blueprint for would-be attackers. The plot failed when British intelligence tipped off the French and German authorities after intercepting a call to the suspected paymaster in London.

Raids in France, Germany and Britain followed and the ring leaders were arrested in Frankfurt, where bomb making materials were found.

Security was stepped up at Christmas markets across Europe two years ago when a stolen lorry was driven into pedestrians in Berlin, killing 11 pedestrians and injuring 56.      

Some two million people attend the Strasbourg Christmas market every year.

Roland Ries, the mayor of Strasbourg, said the Christmas market will be closed on Wednesday and flags will be lowered to half-mast.

He tweeted: "A book of condolences will be opened at the Town Hall from today.

"I want to thank the people of Strasbourg and visitors to the city for their patience and understanding.

"A discussion is under way with the education authorities about possible closures to schools on Wednesday."

9 minutes ago, MikeyT said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/12/12/strasbourg-shooting-christmas-market-terror-suspect-run-killing/

France says it cannot "rule out" that a suspected terrorist has fled to neighbouring Germany after killing at least three people and injuring 13 in the eastern French city of Strasbourg. 

Border controls have been strengthened and more than 600 people, including police, troops and helicopters were on the heels of the attacker who had "sowed terror" in the city, interior minister Christophe Castaner said.

Asked whether he may have left France, deputy interior minister Laurent Nunez said: "That cannot be ruled out."

According to Der Spiegel, the assailant had been in prison in Germany until 2017 on a sentence for “serious” theft handed out by Singen district  court in Bade-Wurtemberg next to the Alsace border. after which he was expelled to France.

The gunman, Strasbourg-born Cherif Chekatt, 29 was on a “S” security and terror watch list. Anti-terrorist prosecutors have opened an investigation.

However, Mr Nunez said: "The terrorist motive has not yet been established".

Questions were being raised over how the assailant had managed to evade capture on Tuesday morning. Police were due to arrest him for attempted murder after a botched armed robbery but he had escaped and a long rifle and stun grenade were found at his home.

Five of his suspected accomplices were arrested shortly before the attack, said Mr Nunez.

Shortly before 8pm last night, the assailant went on the rampage in Strasbourg’s city centre in the bustling rue des Ofrèvres armed with an automatic pistol and knife.

Police reported the attacker was shot and wounded by patrolling soldiers before he fled the scene. According to France Info, the suspect took a taxi driver hostage to escape soldiers. The driver reportedly escaped unharmed and said the gunman had a wounded arm.

The mayor of Strasbourg, Roland Ries, said the gunman got inside a security zone of the Christmas market to stage the attack.

He said police had narrowly missed catching the suspect last night at around 10pm. "There was an exchange of fire. Police told me that they were waiting for him on a cycle path.

"And when he approached them in the dark, they shone a torch in his face, which blinded him, but he immediately opened fire. They riposted and it may have been at this time that he was wounded," he told France Info.

"The government has raised its security threat to the highest level and is bolstering border controls," Mr Castaner told a late-night news conference. "We will also reinforce security at all Christmas markets to prevent copycat attacks."

Mr Castaner said the suspect has an existing criminal record. According to Le Figaro, he has 20 previous convictions.

More than 12 hours after the bloodshed, the regional prefect said that 13 other people had been injured, eight in a critical condition.

Theresa May said she was "shocked and saddened" by the "terrible" attack in Strasbourg. She tweeted: "My thoughts are with all of those affected and with the French people."

Terrified residents and tourists sought cover in bars and restaurants and footage on social media showed at least one victim lying on the ground as others screamed.

The gunman was wounded by soldiers on patrol as part of France’s Sentinelle anti-terror operation but managed to flee, said police. One of the soldiers was wounded in the hand in the exchange.

A local man named Philippe told Europe 1 radio: “I saw a person on the ground, unconscious and bleeding. There was another person on the ground just behind, and one or two more a bit further along the street.”

One eyewitness, who tried unsuccessfully to resuscitate a Thai tourist shot by the gunman, said: “I though it was just firecrackers but it turned out to be actual gunshots.

“I saw one person lying there, a tourist from Thailand accompanied by his wife or girlfriend was unhurt. We tried resuscitation efforts for 45 minutes. We dragged him into a restaurant close by and we tried our best to bring him back to life with CPR but it seemed that that was futile.”

The European Parliament was in lockdown, with MEPs, staff and journalists unable to leave the building, a few kilometres from the square.

Caught in drama was Sajjad Karim, the British MEP who survived the 2008 Mumbai terror attack in which 174 died by hiding in the basement. He said: “I am in the EP completely safe and unable to leave at present. It’s an unfolding situation: and my thoughts are with the victims.”

Richard Corbett, a Labour MEP, tweeted that he was in a restaurant in the centre of Strasbourg, adding: “Restaurant locked and not letting anyone in or out.”

Jean-Claude Juncker, president of the European Commission, said: “Our thoughts are with the victims of the Strasbourg shooting which I condemn with great firmness. Strasbourg is par excellence a town that symbolises peace and European democracy.”

Across the city centre people were ordered to stay put, with some 5000 spectators still being held at a basketball game at 1am local time.

Spectators who were trapped at the SIG Strasbourg basketball game reportedly began singing  the French national anthem "to pay homage to the victims of the shootings". 

They eventually were allowed to leave, with those with nowhere to go housed at a gymnasium, the prefect tweeted.

The Interior Minister announced that protests would be banned on Wednesday in order for police to be "mobilised completely".

French MPs at the National Assembly expressed their solidarity and the Senate held a minute’s silence. President Emmanuel Macron held a crisis meeting with cabinet officials in Paris shortly after midnight.

Francois de Rugy, the French ecology minister, tweeted: “Solidarity and support for the people of Strasbourg. Our support too for the security forces. We are united and determined to protect the French people.”

But some already started criticising Mr Macron’s security credentials.

“How many terror attacks by those on “S” watchlist do we have to suffer before adapting our law to the fight against terrorism. What are we waiting for to finally wage war to eradicate Islamic fundamentalism that has declared war on us?”, asked Laurent Wauquiez, the Right-wing Republicans party leader.

Far-Right leader Marine Le Pen said: “A radical change must happen as terrorism policy is clearly failing.”

France remained on high alert after a wave of attacks commissioned or inspired by Islamic State militants since early 2015, in which about 240 people have been killed.

Fears of terror strikes had waned in recent months. Instead, the country has been more concerned about an ongoing nationwide“yellow vest” revolt as protesters call for lower taxes and higher wages.

However, four “radicalised” men were arrested at the start of the revolt in early November and charged with plotting to carry out a terror attack during the first “yellow vest” protest. A hunting rifle was found and police said there was evidence they were trying to acquire a Kalashnikov.

Christmas markets have been considered a terror target ever since the foiled terror attack in December 2000. The al-Qaeda plot, in which a truck bomb was due to be detonated beneath the steps of Strasbourg cathedral, next to the market, has been described as blueprint for would-be attackers. The plot failed when British intelligence tipped off the French and German authorities after intercepting a call to the suspected paymaster in London.

Raids in France, Germany and Britain followed and the ring leaders were arrested in Frankfurt, where bomb making materials were found.

Security was stepped up at Christmas markets across Europe two years ago when a stolen lorry was driven into pedestrians in Berlin, killing 11 pedestrians and injuring 56.      

Some two million people attend the Strasbourg Christmas market every year.

Roland Ries, the mayor of Strasbourg, said the Christmas market will be closed on Wednesday and flags will be lowered to half-mast.

He tweeted: "A book of condolences will be opened at the Town Hall from today.

"I want to thank the people of Strasbourg and visitors to the city for their patience and understanding.

"A discussion is under way with the education authorities about possible closures to schools on Wednesday."

Such a soft target.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest MattP
9 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Stabbing in Manchester. Man arrested while shouting about the caliphate, something about bombing these countries, and Allahu Ackba

That's prime evidence for a "nothing to do with Islam" angle on the crime lol

In France every Christmas market had to have large concrete blocks installed to prevent the possibility of someone driving into them. I can tell you that nearly EVERY single village through to large cities in France has a christmas market. The Concrete block suppliers must have made amazing profits this year.

Of course the yellow jackets stopped anybody bothering to leave their houses in the run up to Christmas and all the shops announced a very large drop in pre-christmas business (25% to 30%) so probably the terrorists were deterred by the yellow jackets anyway - didn't want to sit for hours at roundabouts and then have to sign a petition to move on whilst covering their suicide jackets with high vis vests.

Maybe it's time to stop focussing on the idiots and get on with our lives.

On ‎01‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 10:45, FIF said:

Maybe it's time to stop focussing on the idiots and get on with our lives.

I think if the powers that be took this approach, you might change your mind.

Certainly though its best to get on with our own lives and enjoy doing what we all doing. Business as usual as far as possible.

On 01/01/2019 at 10:31, MattP said:

That's prime evidence for a "nothing to do with Islam" angle on the crime lol

Well, the suspect has been detained under the Mental Health Act: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/01/01/manchester-terror-suspect-detained-mental-health-act/

Obviously, I'm not suggesting that Islamist terrorism is not a concern. It clearly is, as multiple attacks have shown.

I also presume that this bloke is a Muslim - but, if so, they seem to be assuming that he's a Muslim with a serious mental health problem, not even a "lone wolf" terrorist.

This compares with the bloke who killed Jo Cox. He had suffered mental health problems previously but was declared to have been sane at the time of the attack.

So, at this stage, there seems to be a stronger case for describing him as a  "white supremacist extremist" or "Far Right terrorist" than for seeing this as an "Islamist terror attack" or similar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Jo_Cox#Perpetrator

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

Well, the suspect has been detained under the Mental Health Act: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/01/01/manchester-terror-suspect-detained-mental-health-act/

Obviously, I'm not suggesting that Islamist terrorism is not a concern. It clearly is, as multiple attacks have shown.

I also presume that this bloke is a Muslim - but, if so, they seem to be assuming that he's a Muslim with a serious mental health problem, not even a "lone wolf" terrorist.

This compares with the bloke who killed Jo Cox. He had suffered mental health problems previously but was declared to have been sane at the time of the attack.

So, at this stage, there seems to be a stronger case for describing him as a  "white supremacist extremist" or "Far Right terrorist" than for seeing this as an "Islamist terror attack" or similar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Jo_Cox#Perpetrator

Don’t go spoiling Matt’s agenda with facts, Alf. 

• Haha 1

Guest MattP
1 hour ago, Buce said:

Don’t go spoiling Matt’s agenda with facts, Alf. 

It was supposed to be a joke actually but hey-ho.

If you've read my posts I often acknowledge these lone attackers who turn up with a kitchen knife are very rarely ever connected to any serious religious thought. Very similar to the nutter at Leytonstone who genuinely believed his guardian angel was Tony Blair.

The two things they almost all have in common are a history of petty crime and/or drug use (anything from cannabis to steroids) rather than religion.

Edited by MattP