Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Horse's Mouth

Pearson Sacked

How is the timing bizarre? If you're going to sack a manager, the close season is the perfect time to do it.

Just signed 3 players, in negotiations for others, the players report back on Monday.

Should have been done 5 weeks ago. There is apparently no replacement lined up, so we're talking another two weeks of missing out on players because we dont know who the new manager would want.

It's awful timing.

Just signed 3 players, in negotiations for others, the players report back on Monday.

Should have been done 5 weeks ago. There is apparently no replacement lined up, so we're talking another two weeks of missing out on players because we dont know who the new manager would want.

It's awful timing.

A lot of assumptions there, how do you know they don't have a replacement already... meaning they have pre-season and the transfer window to get things going and moving forward again..

How is the timing bizarre? If you're going to sack a manager, the close season is the perfect time to do it.

The close season is the right time to do it, not when three signings are sorted and the players are back for pre-season hours before the transfer window opens. It's a terrible decision and awful timing.

It's awful timing.

It's awful timing.

Agreed.  I cant believe that they only decided to sack him "today".  If its to do with the Thailand incident then they would have considered this a couple of weeks ago.  If so, sack him then.  Seems to me like they wanted the deals of Huth, Fuchs, Okazaki etc to go through before pulling the trigger to make sure they got the players in first.  

It's awful timing.

Hopefully the replacement will come in this week, then we start afresh with a new manager on the first day of pre-season. Ideal. A couple of weeks ago would have been slightly better but any time during the close season is much better than any other time in the year.

Just after you've lost one of your last nine games, that's bad timing. In fact I'm finding it difficult to come up with many examples of worse timing.

The close season is the right time to do it, not when three signings are sorted and the players are back for pre-season hours before the transfer window opens. It's a terrible decision and awful timing.

Owners obviously aren't bothered by the signings. If the new manager wants even more players signed he'll get them. Having too many good players is a problem I'll take on the chin.

If you look at at it in terms of individual seasons then yes you might say it's a good time but that's not how I see it.

The club is currently in the best state it's been for fifteen years(ish). 'Bizarre' isn't really the right word to describe how appallingly bad this current moment is to decide to ditch the manager.

A week off the start of pre-season, a month and a half off play, smack bam at the end of the month, some signings made(dont know if they were debriefed on arrival / not) - I'd say the about perfect timing for circumstances

Things have changed significantly over the years and theyve been in the game and seen how its dealt with inside during that time, hopefully theyve learned and/or have good advisers . We shouldnt jump on their backs for this yet, only if we go down yes, but seeing people jumping up comparing them to Cardiff or Hulls owner is very disrespectful to where they have got us under their wing.

It seemed in those Nige out months there was a campaign from people who were generally drifters on the forum and complete newbies to get behind the Nigel out effort, the boys turned it around on the pitch and the sh1t sunk back into the ground. Now we have a new crisis situation and some of these boys are popping up again to only to what I can assume to be to confuse and get people wound up for whatever reason, not everyone involved obviously.

This isnt personal and we shouldnt be looking for people to blame right now. I'm gonna leave this for the night and see if the shock settles with people and if I'm reading people wrong, I still stand by my comments though

Really? When you consider only eight managers in our entire 120 year history have kept this club in the top flight (Hodge, Orr, Womack, Halliday, Gillies, Bloomfield, Milne, O'Neill, Pearson), six of which won promotions, one of which won two (Pearson), and only two managerial spells have been successful in over a decade (both Pearson); that we're currently in our best position since 2000 after being dragged up through two divisions (by Pearson), and in the best top flight form we've been in since the 1960s (under Pearson), I'd hardly say that summer 2015 was, in the context of our club's history - and recent history - the right time to fire Pearson.

Even if you wish to ignore the previous decade-and-a-half (the bits where one of the other ten, unanimously unsuccessful managers was in charge of the club), and wish to look at a shorter-term timeframe, is the start of July really the time to sack the manager? Why not mid-May? Why allow three players to come in (you say they might have been briefed, but Fuchs clearly hadn't been briefed when he was 'persuaded by a phonecall with Nigel Pearson', according to the Mercury), spending ten million in the process to bring in players who the next manager might not want? Why wait until just a week or so before pre-season training begins, meaning we are unlikely to have a manager who knows the first thing about our squad in charge by the time he arrives at Belvoir Drive?

As for people who wanted Nigel Pearson out in February and March on the grounds that we were relegated, I think the fact that it turned out we weren't actually relegated after all was what nullified their objections to the manager. The same, presumably, should have gone for the board.

Pearson was not exactly media friendly washe?  He refused to talk to local media (well mainly Stringer)  and did  not  like  his players being in the limelight. Maybe the owners want our players headlining the sport pages  obviously for good reasons and with a couple of higher priced players they may see that. Perhaps they have their eye  on even bigger names and Pearson did not think they would fit in with his dressing room camaradie wishes.

There will be a new generation of players. Less friendship between them but better results and fishing place.

Maybe.

Just after you've lost one of your last nine games, that's bad timing. In fact I'm finding it difficult to come up with many examples of worse timing.

Any time during the proper pre-season or season is worse because the new manager has to hit the ground running, usually with no ability to buy players. Having a new manager installed for the first day of pre-season is about as perfect as it gets. Disagree with the sacking if you like (not sure how you can given we don't know why he was sacked) but the timing is fine.

Chairman of the Leicester City Supporters Club Cliff Ginetta said: “It was a strained relationship last season.

“His attitude is sometimes dogmatic and that is his downfall. It annoyed me. I’ve met him a few times and don’t particular get on with him.

“But that’s who he is and he’s been very successful. He’s been the most successful manager we’ve ever had and in that sense I’m disappointed.

“Perhaps it is the time to move on to even greater things.”

just seen this on the mail site. I wish cliff would **** off.

Having worked at relatively top level in business, everybody tends to despise / underrate / undermine each other and fundamentally disagree on most things. Backstabbing is rife, but at the end of the day, most differences are put aside to get the desired end result.

Can't understand why Nigel has been sacked for not agreeing with the board on fundamental issues. The only fundamental issue in football is winning. I know Nigel likes winning. Which suggests the owners may think otherwise?

Clearly the owners have no respect for the fans, making decisions not based on footballing reasons. When they sell us I won't be unhappy. I thought they had class, I was wrong.

FFS, all season everyone has been banging on about what amazing owners we have, now suddenly they are the shit on our shoes. Get a grip people, I know this is hard news to take, I'm currently as gutted as the next man but this is football and football is business. The owners are not going to want to be relegated for obvious financial reasons, I'm pretty sure being the astute businessmen they are that they have probably got a plan of action which doesn't involve them losing a shit load of money and publicity.

Managers come and go, the club stays. We have had bright days and dark days, it's the infinite story of football. Things can change in a split second. Imagine if we landed Klopp? The owners would be heros again and so on and so forth.

We are LCFC so lets ****ing ave it.

Lots of sensational businessmen turn out to be appallingly bad football club owners, of course.

Yes, it might work out for us. But today the board have made a decision which makes our future look a lot more precarious than it looked yesterday.

It's a fact that Pearson took us up two divisions, kept us in the top flight, ended the season in our best PL form ever, forged the squad and continued to add to it until very recently. Anything else, including hoping that one day we'll continue to be successful with someone else, is guesswork. Based on what little we've got to go on, and in the context of our recent and longer-term history, this appears to be a dreadful day for the club. Especially when you look at what happened the last time these guys helped to edge Pearson out.

This has just added to what has already been a crap birthday for me.  Got up at 5am to work, still got bollocked by the partner for not sending it last night (yeah, he was going to read it at 1am when the rest of the team had done their work), still working til 8pm tonight, missing my birthday dinner with the fiancee and now this... Out of all the stuff that was going on, at least there was the optimism of a proper pre-season, players coming in and a chance to look forward to making a go of it next season.  Unless someone mind blowing comes in, this is crappy.

Ah well, least I get cake later...  :vardy:

Any time during the proper pre-season or season is worse because the new manager has to hit the ground running, usually with no ability to buy players. Having a new manager installed for the first day of pre-season is about as perfect as it gets. Disagree with the sacking if you like (not sure how you can given we don't know why he was sacked) but the timing is fine.

It isn't, though.

Owners obviously aren't bothered by the signings. If the new manager wants even more players signed he'll get them. Having too many good players is a problem I'll take on the chin.

And he'll have less time to get them in or bed them in. If you're going to sack your manager, do it at the start of June where there's time to find a replacement without making preseason a catchup game.

Archived