Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Horse's Mouth

Pearson Sacked

They've done a lot wrong. Appointing Sven and the entire approach under him was awful. God knows what happened when Pearson was sacked during the season but that was shambolic and their fault. And this is wrong. Whereas almost every brilliant decision made by the club in recent years can be attributed to Nigel Pearson and his team. The owners have done very little to earn the inexplicable levels of faith most people seem to have in them.

They bankrolled him and stuck by him until the appropriate time. Dont let your Nige obsession (nothing else to call it) get in the way of supporting Leicester; that chapter closes and we move on, hopefully for the best.

I'm finding it interesting alot of people are jumping up from the Jan-March range who went missing for the winning spree coming out with stuff like 'doom' and 'gloom', just looking to blame and hate all over again - **** off

They bankrolled him and stuck by him until the appropriate time. Dont let your Nige obsession (nothing else to call it) get in the way of supporting Leicester; that chapter closes and we move on, hopefully for the best.

I'm finding it interesting alot of people are jumping up from the Jan-March range who went missing for the winning spree coming out with stuff like 'doom' and 'gloom', just looking to blame and hate all over again - **** off

I still support the club, just not the owners.

I really think we have to hold fire before blaming James Pearson. And, of course, it's worth remembering that his son was basically fired for having sex in the same room as an idiot. Even after the nonsense in Thailand, the slightest bit of diplomacy and consideration from the board could have avoided any fall-out with the manager, and that includes if they'd decided it was time for him to move on.

So if it's connected to what happened in Thailand (when they manager's son was recorded having sex with someone while someone else made a load of dumb comments, in a hotel which belongs to our owners, after our owners had instructed their staff to 'get the players whatever they want') then the board have still managed to handle the matter poorly, regardless of how much Pearson wanted to defend his boy.

But it's a massive assumption to say Thailand was the deciding factor. And even if it was, the board would have a great deal more challenging questions to answer than James or Nigel Pearson. I mean, what would they say? Do you really think Nige is in favour of calling Thai girls 'slit eyes'? If his position was 'it was wrong, but my son shouldn't be sacked', then would that be a just cause for getting rid of one of your most successful ever managers?

The answer to this is entirely dependent on what happened after.  If it was a continual blowup and conflict after that point, then your question should be "is keeping hold of him worth potentially poisoning the atmosphere around the club?"

If you recall, Pearson said the new owners were being shown around at the same time as Sousa, during the PO first leg. The widely held opinion, until they went begging back to Pearson, was that our new owners wanted a 'continental name'. It was even printed as fact in the Mercury, for what it's worth.

I though the new owners were shown round the stadium and not introduced to Pearson, Sousa was a guest of Manderic at Cardiff in the second leg. Whether the two are linked is guess work.

So this is the appropriate time? After signing three players, forging an entire squad, taking us up and securing a mid-table finish with league-winning end-of-season form?

And they did bankroll him, yes. But they bought a club which had just finished 5th with Pearson in charge, and it took them three more years to get back to the play-offs after they allowed Mandaric to usher him out, then Sousa and Sven in, as they prepared their takeover. We ended up being promoted 4 years after the play-offs in 2010. Back in 2010, the idea of four more years in the second tier would have been a disappointment. So do we credit the board, who endured plenty of misery and financial loss under their other two managers, or the single manager of theirs who was successful, and was also successful with very little money under totally different owners?

Back in January, February, March lots of people wondered whether Pearson should go, because it looked like that might be our best way to stay in the PL. This turned out to be not just wrong, but dramatically wrong. Nobody has any good, sensible reason to want Pearson out now, and especially not with the limited information given to us.

Having read alot of the points on this thread a few I really take issue with.

Firstly people saying the owners have been brilliant and haven't made a bad decision yet. 

1. Getting rid of Pearson for a stylish big name in Sousa

2. Getting Sven in and allowing him to spunk money up the wall

3. Trying to get Martin O'Neill back and having to settle for Pearson as about the 5th choice when their other candidates rejected them.

4. Tapping up 'Arry when Pearson was struggling in the Championship.

5. Sacking Pearson in February before embarrassingly having to reinstate him.

6. Sacking Pearson now.
Sure they have thrown alot of moeny about in terms of giving us free Tshirts and beer, improved the training facilities. But their managerial decision have been absolutely shocking, and the only success they had was stumbling upon Pearson as a last resort. I have absolute zero faith they actually understand how to identify and recruit managers and this appointment at this stage in the clubs development could break us.

Secondly people saying Pearson isn't bigger than the club. Well actually he is the club from top to bottom. The desire that the players showed were not because they care for Leicester City but because they played for their manager. Just look in the last month of the statements of Huth, Fuchs, Schlupp, Schmeichel, Berner, Vardy saying how much they respected him they played for him. Without that togetherness we just become another souless club bringing in players who are here for the pay packet.

Thirdly people saying we have to support the new manager whoever it is. Well no we don't. We can show our disapproval as fans both in our voice and in attendance if the appointment is someone of the Redknapp/Dyche ilk. I can guarantee that the atmosphere generated in the 2nd half of last season will be lost,again something that took over 10 years at the stadium to find. Why should we blindly support something that we believe is completely wrong without any sort of explanation?

Generally gutted and was even talking about giving city in earlier with my dad. Obviously too extreme but I'm still dissapointed. Why now? A banner is needed for the first game. "Thanks for everything Nige" will do. I just hope we get some foreign gem as a manager and we follow Southampton.

The only part I dont understand is, is that if they have sacked him due to differences of opinion on the way forwards for the club, why did they not sack him for the same reason with 28 games gone when we were dead and buried by all accounts?

The answer to this is entirely dependent on what happened after.  If it was a continual blowup and conflict after that point, then your question should be "is keeping hold of him worth potentially poisoning the atmosphere around the club?"

Do you not think it's a massive assumption to imagine that Pearson's professional conduct had slipped to such an unmanageable level that he could have destroyed everything he'd erstwhile created? There's plenty of evidence (e.g. three new signings) to the contrary.

Even if the club wanted to fire James (and there's a big question mark as to whether having sex with an idiot in the room is a sackable offence), there was a way of doing it which could easily have avoided isolating the manager. JP's contract renewal could have been conveniently forgotten, he could have been given the chance to 'honourably resign' by mutual consent, with a neat little statement released to this effect.

Ultimately if the board and the manager don't especially get on, then so long as the manager is doing his job that shouldn't be a problem. And all evidence to date suggests that Pearson was doing a very good job.

Personally don't think it's about Nigel's son.

I wonder if the owners were fed up with Nigel's antics and want someone to carry the club to the next level, both football and brand wise. Do they view the club like an ongoing project to move into a top six winning team, not just a surviving team. Nigel comes across as a typical english blood and guts manager, gives you everything, but never going to be a consistent top level manager.

Being an old fashioned english git, I am gutted Nigel has gone. But football has moved on and I think our owners look at football totally different to supporters. Not sure if this is good or bad, but I am not looking forward to the first few games next season.

Lost some respect for Top and his dad.

Archived