Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Guus Hiddink

Having been against it at first, I was beginning to come round to the idea of Neil Lennon getting the job.

But Guus Hiddink. Wow. We all know how the Sven experiment turned out but Hiddink is a totally different proposition. Yes, there are similarities but Hiddink has a lot more experience at the top level with bigger clubs and, yes, a better national team in the Netherlands.

His career may appear to be taking a bit of a downward turn but I reckon we could provide him with a last hurrah. Cambiasso would re-sign, I'm sure of it.

And, yes, we might just end up spending a substantial amount of money, but considering the potential rewards (another season of Premier League football, a decent cup run, maybe even Europa League qualification, not to mention the financial benefits and the further widening of the fanbase and strengthening of the brand), it has to be an exciting appointment. Just think of the contacts he has in the game and the players who would want to play in the Premier League under him as manager.

Come on Guus, get us into Europe me old son!

Good post, got me excited

Not keen on this at all. He's just a journeyman manager with nothing to prove and a lost motivation who's goes around the world looking for any idiot (*ahem* Vichai) who will pay him. What does he know about this football club? Squat. What does he know about the players we have? Zilch. At least with Lennon or Allardyce you get someone who knows how we have been successful over the last 3 seasons.

Bit confused by all the pessimism to be honest. I'd love Hiddink here! 

We basically need stability for a season and to continue to build on the base we have in place already so we can kick on in 1-2 seasons time. I'd love us to be able to copy Southampton's climb but I don't think there is another Koeman available. Hiddink for 1/2 seasons while we look at other options fits nicely for me. He's got something to prove after he failed at Holland and will have a wealth of contacts in the game that we can draw on. 

All of the young centre backs I hoped we'd be in for - Rekik, Van Beek, Kongolo, Van Dijk and Veltman - are Dutch and most were given caps by Hiddink. Would hope that might give us an edge there.

My dicks half mast!

Not keen on this at all. He's just a journeyman manager with nothing to prove and a lost motivation who's goes around the world looking for any idiot (*ahem* Vichai) who will pay him. What does he know about this football club? Squat. What does he know about the players we have? Zilch. At least with Lennon or Allardyce you get someone who knows how we have been successful over the last 3 seasons.

Surely, like everyone, before you go to a job interview you do research and find out about the firm. No reason why Hiddink won't do that. So I think his previous knowledge about the club or lack of it is not an argument to consider

Bit confused by all the pessimism to be honest. I'd love Hiddink here! 

We basically need stability for a season and to continue to build on the base we have in place already so we can kick on in 1-2 seasons time. I'd love us to be able to copy Southampton's climb but I don't think there is another Koeman available. Hiddink for 1/2 seasons while we look at other options fits nicely for me. He's got something to prove after he failed at Holland and will have a wealth of contacts in the game that we can draw on. 

All of the young centre backs I hoped we'd be in for - Rekik, Van Beek, Kongolo, Van Dijk and Veltman - are Dutch and most were given caps by Hiddink. Would hope that might give us an edge there.

My dicks half mast!

lol

Surely, like everyone, before you go to a job interview you do research and find out about the firm. No reason why Hiddink won't do that. So I think his previous knowledge about the club or lack of it is not an argument to consider

i think it will be him interviewing us not us him  :)

Huth

De Laet

Mahrez

Schlupp

Kramaric

Ulloa

Cambiasso

Fuchs

Okazaki

Wasilewski

Knockaert (prior to departure)

Schmeichel

Morgan

We kinda had loads of foreign players before now. And of the British players, 3 spring to mind that we can hardly be proud of.

Take your point but Think your comment is a good few years too late. We've been foreign owned for years and our previous manager was also foreign

Was not really referring to the fact that individuals weren't British. I am more referring to the fact that under Pearson we still had that good old British club approach to things and beliefs. We had a heart of a British team with players that are here to prove themselves. Success stories like king, schlupp, Moore(although filtered off a little), vardy, drinky, james British at the heart of the team with foreign players to add to the technicality of our approach.

Just hope we don't lose that and become like some other teams where we buy loads of players for a quick success and lose that spirit.

Was not really referring to the fact that individuals weren't British. I am more referring to the fact that under Pearson we still had that good old British club approach to things and beliefs. We had a heart of a British team with players that are here to prove themselves. Success stories like king, schlupp, Moore(although filtered off a little), vardy, drinky, james British at the heart of the team with foreign players to add to the technicality of our approach.

Just hope we don't lose that and become like some other teams where we buy loads of players for a quick success and lose that spirit.

i know mate and I know ehere you are coming from. I think those these days you need to move with the times to survive 

I completely agree with your last line - Pearson built success in a methodical and gradual manner - very rare these days. We will always be left wondering how things might have turned out even if we do have success from this point forwards

524 on-line!!

I'd definitely prefer him to Lennon - carries an international appeal and tries to get teams playing football the right way.

I do understand the Sven 2.0 concerns though. Hopefully we can keep hold of Walsh and the two can work together. Imagine Walsh's scouting system and knowledge and Hiddink's pull?! Could be a great partnership.

I'd definitely prefer him to Lennon - carries an international appeal and tries to get teams playing football the right way.

I do understand the Sven 2.0 concerns though. Hopefully we can keep hold of Walsh and the two can work together. Imagine Walsh's scouting system and knowledge and Hiddink's pull?! Could be a great partnership.

Throw in the 'Cambiasso for No2' theory and we've traded in the Mondeo for a Bugatti Veyron..............(possibly).

Archived