Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ramboacdc

Martin O'Neill

This clearly wasn't the plan of the owners. It's surely just saving face because we ****ed up getting rid of Nigel, then everyone we wanted rejected us and now we're trying to get the fans back on side.

Well we'll all be on side until we're bottom after 10 games with barely a point.

I'm old enough to of enjoyed the Martin O'Neill years and old enough for my boyhood years to of been the dreaded David Pleat! Those O'Neill years were amazing and to be honest we always had plenty of positive years through Bryan Little ect.

I for one would welcome him back. The mans aged 15 years and footballs changed a fair bit in that time, however something don't change and that the players desire to play for their manager. He has charisma and charm and understanding and was a top player in his day. Players thrive on when they feel welcomed and a manager that looks after them. Pearson had a special bond with his players and I'm sure if Martin was to return then it would be no different.

Several "special" managers have returned and faired ok, the most recent being Mourinho with Chelsea, Pulis with Stoke, Mancinis now back at Inter, Capello went back to AC Milan and Madrid. He legacy will not be tarnished, those days are set in history. He might not be as successful as he was but we are very different beast these days.

Don't get the negative stuff really about MON.

Yes, he might not be the guy to really take us forward but after sacking Pearson, what are the owners intentions really for the coming season?  Surely again, more than ever its "just" to finish 17th or above.  Under Pearson, I think we might have had our ambitions in the coming season a touch higher, but thats gone now.

With sacking Pearson, they more than ever need someone who will keep the fans onside as it was largely an unpopular decision to sack him.  So for that reason, MON is a good fit.  Its easier to stay up when everyone, including the fans are pulling in the same direction.  This works from that perspective.

And with regards to people worried about MON ruining his reputation with us if it doesn't go all rosy, so what?  Will it automatically wipe the mid 90s and two cups from your memory?  Of course it won't.  So why care about it?

The ultimate cost is disappointing. Plenty of people will be expecting him to work the same miracles he did dirst time. If he doesn't people will be disappointed and that's all he'll be remembered for.

I am sure that is not true, but the opportunity for him to make us a perennial Premier League team is worth the risk.  If he wants it and is the best candidate then he should do it.  Even if things don't work out this time, no one can take the 90's results away from him. 

I'd have him back in a heartbeat. He sold Gary Cahill and bought Curtis Davies. Some of his Villa signings were truely awful. Ask some Villa fans what they think of him.

Yet he brought in Carew who finished as top scorer for three seasons in a row.

Also brought in Petrov, Young, Friedel, Milner, Downing & Delph.

Villa gained £65 million with the sales of Milner, Downing & Young, while Delph is still there & is currently there best player.

Plus he gained 6th place three campaigns in a row.

What concerns me most is that he has a very questionable transfer record at Villa and Sunderland, spending huge wages and fees on bang average players, and we know what our owners can be like. HOWEVER as long as we keep hold of Steve Walsh then I think we'll be fine on that front. The bloke is a genius.

I don't know how I feel about this, but there's always been that lingering what if... since he left. The appointment will certainly appease the fans anyway.

The ultimate cost is disappointing. Plenty of people will be expecting him to work the same miracles he did dirst time. If he doesn't people will be disappointed and that's all he'll be remembered for.

I think you're underestimating people's ability to differentiate between one managerial reign and another.

Yet he brought in Carew who finished as top scorer for three seasons in a row.

Also brought in Petrov, Young, Friedel, Milner, Downing & Delph.

Villa gained £65 million with the sales of Milner, Downing & Young, while Delph is still there & is currently there best player.

Plus he gained 6th place three campaigns in a row.

Now look at who else he brought in that wasn't a success. Delph isn't their best player, Benteke is, try again.

Archived