Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ramboacdc

Martin O'Neill

It was 2 European adventures, albeit very short ones, we had with O'Neill - Athletico Madrid & Red Star Belgrade.

For me, this would be a real 'meh' appointment as I just can't see him living up to the past successes and it would be really sad to see his previous reputation shattered by too high expectations.

I am partly excited by it as I was 11 or 12 when we first went up under O'Neill and they were by far my best supporting Leicester years, last year was good but we had more success under O'Neill but I just really don't want him to come here and fail.

If he does come back and gets us in Europe again in his first season then I certainly won't be complaining, just can't see it happening but it is what people will expect.

Seriously wtf?

Some of the bloody idiots on this forum slagging off a Leicester great and a true Leicester City legend in Mon.

Most on here were probably kids when we had our great era under him. We played great football with a team that most of the bookies and so called pundits wrote us off time and time again.

Three top ten finishes in the premiership, three cup final appearances at Wembley and two trophies won. A trip to Europe too, what's not to like our most successful manager ever.

Damn site better than most of the names being bandied about.

Welcome home Martin.

Four top ten finishes.

Why? Just because someone is a legend it doesn't mean they perform to that standard forever. Pretty simple.

Personally I'm optimistic but not thrilled with how this has gone. Obviously he was a legend for us but people can still have doubts about his current ability, it's not that tricky to grasp.

But has his ability really dropped that much? It seems like people are judging him mainly on the Sunderland job, but they've gone from bad to worse since he left. Difficult to tell much from his time with Ireland.

Don't want Roy Keane anywhere near this great club of ours, he would wreck the togetherness we have. If Martin gets the job I look forward to him working with our first class coaching and backroom staff.....

Up the City....

For those saying he is a dinosaur or too old, 3 seasons ago he had Sunderland finish 13th with 45 points prior to this he had successive 6th place finished with Aston Villa - have a look at what a string of managers have done with those two clubs since... None have bettered what O'Neill did.

Not setting the world on fire with Ireland? The thing with international football is you can only pick from a certain number of players

When John O'Shea is the best defender available to you and you have a bunch of championship players in your squad and you can get a draw away to the world champions you're not doing to bad are you?

Add this to a draw with a decent polish outfit he isn't doing a terrible job - compare this with Hiddinks squad and results with the Dutch.

marry me!

Don't want Roy Keane anywhere near this great club of ours, he would wreck the togetherness we have. If Martin gets the job I look forward to him working with our first class coaching and backroom staff.....

Up the City....

i think roy will take over ireland to be quite honest. 

We can say bye to Mahrez then, flair doesn't fit into an O'Neill side.

Absolute tosh. He's know different to Pearson, providing they also put in the hard yards he'll have anyone in the team. He won't accept passengers or liabilities though.

I'd have him back in a heartbeat. He sold Gary Cahill and bought Curtis Davies. Some of his Villa signings were truely awful. Ask some Villa fans what they think of him.

Okay, they were finishing sixth with O'Neill, since he left they have been fighting relegation

Unfortunately jobs like villa and Sunderland no manager can be a success unless they are getting champions league, they think that is their level lol

Am I right in thinking that O'Neill has been at the KP to watch us a few times this season? If so that gives me a bit more confidence, we need someone who already knows a bit about the players and can pick up where Nige left off

Tbf he's always attended certain games. He was at the Leeds game when we won 1-0, for example.

I'd have him back in a heartbeat. He sold Gary Cahill and bought Curtis Davies. Some of his Villa signings were truely awful. Ask some Villa fans what they think of him.

Villa fans didn't seem content with a top 6 finish each season. Look at them since he left...

My only problem with this is that we'll have high expectations after his first reign and he loses the legacy he created. Also when he left he said that he'd took us as far as he could. What's the difference now?

Am I right in thinking that O'Neill has been at the KP to watch us a few times this season? If so that gives me a bit more confidence, we need someone who already knows a bit about the players and can pick up where Nige left off

yes twice, around the time of Pearsons first sacking.

My only problem with this is that we'll have high expectations after his first reign and he loses the legacy he created. Also when he left he said that he'd took us as far as he could. What's the difference now?

Maybe he believes with the ground and the owners backing which he never had he could achieve more...

Its a different time though. In many ways he will be hoping to do exactly what he did back then, consolidate as a top 10 team.

Archived