Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Babylon

Confirmed: Ranieri new manager

To be fair to Nick, I'm pretty sure he meant it. He's having a great season! Just look at Scouse's tipping thread...

I have the utmost respect for Swan Lesta's sincerity, good judgment and mischievous sense of humour now, just as I had on 13th July.  :D

If we finish 7th or 8th this season Ranieri will have had a huge, huge role in moving the club forward, but the progress has been under way since 2008. There are clubs who go from the third tier to PL safety in the space of seven years, obviously, but for every one that does there's two more that don't. Forest, Leeds, Wednesday, Portsmouth, Cov, Sheffield United and so on... we could have easily gone their way.

Lots of people have played their part. Mandaric may have been a one-step-forward-one-step-back owner, but it's hard to imagine we'd have been 5th in the Championship in 2010, and such an attractive prospect for the new owners, without his intervention and his appointment of Pearson. Similarly, even Sven played a part through bringing in Schmeichel, Konchesky, Nugent, giving a debut to Schlupp and so on.

I just hope we don't get hysterical about it. It's early days and the way we look back on Ranieri is almost certainly going to depend - to a large extent - on how he develops the squad over the next year or so. We don't know how that will pan out. And, barring a Taylor-esque collapse, I hope fans don't over-react if we struggle in the next six games, or end up a fair few places below where we are now.

ive got to be honest and say this is a terrible appointment.

We will finish 20th.

Pearson was, by an absolute country mile, better than this guy.

I really wish I felt otherwise.

Ive followed European football very closely over last few years due to work.

I am not saying he is a bad manager - but our squad and its strengths is a complete mismatch for CR.

I pray I am wrong.

Lets see what happens then.

It shouldnt - I am just trying to understand your perspective if youve seen a rarity as NP come along way more than I have? 

Poor logic. If Sven had kept his job whos to say whether he wouldnt have achieved the same things as Pearson? Quite simply nobody knows. Pearson was in the job a lot longer and also had some woeful streaks.

It didnt work with Sven. So why does it automatically mean it wont work with Ranieri? Give the bloke a chance ffs.

The fact you have branded Ranieri as a failure before he has even begun is quite sad.

Dont get me wrong im not delighted with the appointment but he is certainly alot better than some of the tripe linked with the job.

Lets just get behind Ranieri from the start rather than him having to win us over first. We need to create a good positive atmosphere at the KP to replicate our end of season form. That wont happen if people (from the sounds of it) are going to be calling for Ranieri to be sacked after one defeat.

Oh Countesthorpe. Dont you feel a little silly now. Spouting out that Pearson was 'a country mile' better than Ranieri. You had already made your mind up about Ranieri before he even had his first game in charge. Shame on you. I think a letter of apology is in order

Really not sure about this at all. I'm sure we'll be spending big now. Will it pay off? Doubt it, to be honest.

Good luck, Claudio. You will need it.

This is nowhere near as bad as I thought it was.

I was pretty sure we'd be in for a grim season. So glad to be proved wrong. This might well be the best Leicester side of all time.

I was in Portugal when we appointed Ranieri so there's no evidence on here, but I actually said "I reckon we'll have 28 points after 13 games in 1st position, and will beat Man Utd 2-1 with a Vardy winner in our 14th" and so far, so good.

Claudio has begun to make some statements re the future. Having said nothing apart from '40 points is our target', he now adds that he will look at the situation once we have achieved that goal. He says that we cannot compete at the top this season but next season and thereafter we can begin to. He says that this is all part of the project.

Am I the only one thinking that this could really be the beginning of a crazy number of seasons?

No idea how long he'll be here. He tends to get sacked after two or three seasons but that's often been a consequence of the expectations at the elite clubs he has managed rather than particularly poor performance. His record suggests he's not a long term manager but who knows, maybe with more patient owners he'll stick around a bit. Ain't worth worrying while we top of the damn premia league.

Claudio has begun to make some statements re the future. Having said nothing apart from '40 points is our target', he now adds that he will look at the situation once we have achieved that goal. He says that we cannot compete at the top this season but next season and thereafter we can begin to. He says that this is all part of the project.

Am I the only one thinking that this could really be the beginning of a crazy number of seasons?

He's playing mind games.. We're top after a third of the season gone. Let's face it, we're not getting relegated are we!?..

If we don't achieve a top half finish from where we are now it'll be a huge disappointment for everyone concerned.

The next few seasons could be amazing, but we'll never have a better chance to perhaps achieve a top six finish then THIS SEASON!

I always thought he would be a success here simply because he was a success at Chelsea. They were just too impatient with him.

He also has the experience of handling big named players. It sounds simple but you have to know how far to let players go before exerting authority. It's this balance so many managers get wrong.

He's also a top Coach as well as a top Manager and we're benefiting from both. 

No idea how long he'll be here. He tends to get sacked after two or three seasons but that's often been a consequence of the expectations at the elite clubs he has managed rather than particularly poor performance. His record suggests he's not a long term manager but who knows, maybe with more patient owners he'll stick around a bit. Ain't worth worrying while we top of the damn premia league.

He has bought a house rather than rent, suggests he wants to stick around 

bye bye shakey, walsh, cambiasso, shrewd spending, sports science.

I bet you a tenner he isnt our manager 2 years from now.

hope its a good ride though :nigel:

i was right about cambiasso and 2 years aint up yet.

wrong about good ride though - its fookin brilliant!!! :appl:

In all honesty, I can't really tell how Ranieri has been the key to the success so far - as it seems to have 'spilled over' from our late surge last season.

Don't get me wrong, he's a great PR man (unlike Pearson, yes), seems caring to the players and doing fantastically - but are his tactics really different from Pearson's towards the end of last season? It's Pearson's players he's putting in the line-up, and the style of play doesn't seem much different now compared to that of late last season.

Totally agree with this.

Coming here with the foundations that had already been put in place made it one of the easiest jobs in top flight football

We have been mocked along the way. One of the owner's spoke a year or so ago ago about the aim of European football..

Claudio was widely mocked on his appointment.He talks of the project which is clearly the owner's project.So far so good.

Archived