Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Year Of The Fox

Vardy and England

Thing that annoys me about this is Gary Neville on MNF saying that Vardy's attitude and playing style could improve most teams in the Premier League, get them playing the kind of football that made it famous again, and yet basically laughs off the suggestion of him playing up front for England because we have Rooney and Kane (and clearly Carragher and him had been talking about it beforehand as well), so why the **** not? 

A telling comment was his justification for including Dier. Nothing about his performances per se, but all about the fact that he has cemented his place in a side which, because it is Spurs, means that he has had to fight off players of good quality (i.e. better than at the likes of Leicester, where you can just walk into the team). Pathetic. It confirms the "big" club syndrome in selection for England.

Yeah, I saw that too. Dier is in because “He deserves his chance. He is in a very good Tottenham team and has been a key figure. The same applies to Dele Alli. He has continued to impress since going back to Spurs.”

We are third in the league, we are a very good Leicester team. Vardy deserves his chance too.

I'm not sure what Vardy has said if aything at all, however I do wonder if the comments from pundits and journalist stating Vardy should be played down the middle in his proper position might have irritated Roy.

Looking past that from Roy its a huge opportunity for Vards. A probable start against Spain and France and although he'll likely play on the wing he will run all day so tactically he could shift up front for another player. Hes still a newcomer to the squad, the manager isnt going to give him priority over other players in his system, he has to earn that through determination and endeavour  and going by his previous pursuits I believe he can do that.

Looking past that from Roy its a huge opportunity for Vards. A probable start against Spain and France and although he'll likely play on the wing he will run all day so tactically he could shift up front for another player. Hes still a newcomer to the squad, the manager isnt going to give him priority over other players in his system, he has to earn that through determination and endeavour and going by his previous pursuits I believe he can do that.

but he's been called up for his form playing as a central striker therefore he can't be assessed by playing out wide. Just don't pick him if it's such a problem! In friendlies and against lower teams what do we learn from playing Rooney up top all of the time?

I'm not sure what Vardy has said if aything at all, however I do wonder if the comments from pundits and journalist stating Vardy should be played down the middle in his proper position might have irritated Roy.

I genuinely doubt Vardy has said anything at all and indeed is very grateful for the call-up (as frankly they all should be). He doesn't seem the type to moan about his lot and would play anywhere. But in the last couple of weeks all the chat regarding him has been about his position so you're probably right about him being annoyed by it.

Of course he could solve that by actually trying him in that position in a meaningless game.

Never liked Hodgson, never wanted him as manager, utter twat. I just cant wait until the Euro's are over so he can do one what are those comments, he should be happy to be in the squad like, as if he is lucky to be there, he's done more in one game than your wonderboy Rooney has done all season. Please England provide us with a manager who can actually provide a bit of life to English football, because as a fan im sick of watching and listening to this pillock. 

Totally agree, it's a disgrace what he said and it's a disgrace the press are making out it is Vardy who has complained! It is pundits who have called for this not Vardy! Be glad when we bomb out end of Rooney (ruining my international tournaments since 2006) and Hodgson (couldn't get a tune out of a decent Liverpool side) What happened to picking England teams on form? England squad 86, quarter finalists in Mexico, went out to a cheat on a continent europeans hate at altitude, wouldn't happen nowadays with Roys benchwarmers, look at the clubs!

1. Shilton, Peter L. 36 G Southampton FC     81 _ GA     2. Stevens, M. Gary 23 RB Everton FC     9 0     3. Sansom, Kenneth G. 27 LB Arsenal FC     65 1     4. Hoddle, Glenn 28 M Tottenham Hotspur FC     33 8     5. Martin, Alvin E. 27 CD West Ham United FC     15 0     6. Butcher, Terence I. 27 CD Ipswich Town FC     40 3     7. Robson, Bryan 29 M Manchester United FC     51 18     8. Wilkins, Raymond C. 29 M Milan AC, Italy     80 3     9. Hateley, Mark W. 24 F Milan AC, Italy     18 9     10. Lineker, Gary W. 25 F Everton FC     13 6     11. Waddle, Christopher R. 25 F Tottenham Hotspur FC     16 2     12. Anderson, Vivian A. 29 RB  Arsenal FC     21 1     13. Woods, ChristopherC.E. 26 G  Norwich City FC     4 _ GA     14. Fenwick, Terence W. 26 CD Queen's Park Rangers FC     15 0     15. Stevens, Gary A. 24 M Tottenham Hotspur FC     5 0     16. Reid, Peter 29 M Everton FC     6 0     17. Steven, Trevor M. 22 M Everton FC     10 3     18. Hodge, Stephen B. 23 M Aston Villa FC     3 0     19. Barnes, John C.B. 22 F Watford FC     27 3     20. Beardsley, Peter A. 25 F Newcastle United FC     5 1     21. Dixon, Kerry M. 24 F Chelsea FC     6 4     22. Bailey, Gary R. 27 G Manchester United FC

Yeah, I saw that too. Dier is in because “He deserves his chance. He is in a very good Tottenham team and has been a key figure. The same applies to Dele Alli. He has continued to impress since going back to Spurs.”

We are third in the league, we are a very good Leicester team. Vardy deserves his chance too.

Exactly. They play in a "very good team". We are currently a better team because of the performances of Vardy, among others. These players (Vardy, Albrighton etc) are standing up and defining teams and making them brilliant. Others are making up the numbers, or at best enhancing a decent side. England are shite and we need people who can drag them up by the ears...

we should not be surprised by Hodgson's asinine comments. He is a man of limited ability who got the job like all other England managers, because he would be an acceptable yes men to the third rate bureaucrats who run English football. That's why Brian Clough was never England manager.

I so hope Jamie scores a couple against Twatford and then we an see how Hodgson likes that....

Just listened to Roy's interview, nothing we didn't already know really he wants Kane playing a central role and Jamie on the wing. What is disappointing is Roy's choice of words using 'hung up' on a couple of occasions referring to Jamie not playing the central role and should be 'happy' to be in the squad. Roy has a tendency to be  overly defensive about his management capabilities following criticism from the press  this suggests a sign of managerial weakness and indeed stubbornness. I do believe Harry Kane is a very promising striker but to continue playing Jamie out of position is not really playing to his strengths, I hope Roy stops being so 'hung up' about the press and their comments and gives Jamie the opportunity against Spain or France to play a central role.

but he's been called up for his form playing as a central striker therefore he can't be assessed by playing out wide. Just don't pick him if it's such a problem! In friendlies and against lower teams what do we learn from playing Rooney up top all of the time?

They'll look at what he does as well as asking him to see where to fit him in, its not like Vardy has come out and said 'Down the middle or nowt mate'.

Hes played there before and although he may be better in center its still an massive chance to work his way into the Euro squad and if he wants a chance to get a CF role

Yeah, I saw that too. Dier is in because “He deserves his chance. He is in a very good Tottenham team and has been a key figure. The same applies to Dele Alli. He has continued to impress since going back to Spurs.”

As does DD.  I am fuming about that press conference. Don't expect England to win anything for a very long time - the FA isn't far from FIFA.

Archived