Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Year Of The Fox

Vardy and England

Yeah that's him out wide again as there's absolutely no width other than Sterling. How on earth does Shelvey get picked over Danny Drinkwater this season? Laughable.

Completely agree and said so weeks ago.

I'd have Drinkwater in that squad at present. And would probably play him alongside Shelvey.

Drinkwater for the energy and ball-winning, Shelvey for the incisive passes.

If Rooney starts up front against these top sides then it's a bit of a joke. Pace is so important in the modern game, and Vardy's rise demonstrates that - he's a large part in our rise to third - and form that is now clearly no fluke.

Whereas Rooney has no pace, and has been regressing for years. Even some of my Man Utd fan mates say the same. The stature of his club and wage got him the captaincy and almost a guaranteed starting position for England.

The situation is particularly galling as we'll likely be defending a lot against these sides and the better side in the Euros - who do you want up top? Someone who runs all day, defends from the front and is lightening quick making forward runs etc or Rooney?

Also, I've always thought the England set up is a bit elitist - so what bearing does Vardy's non-league background have on all this? He doesn't quite fit the mold. 

It is Roy's choice to play Vardy where he wants, but the way he has said it is very poor, and not for the first time, he dropped Sterling in it with his "too tired to play" comments. He should be protecting his players. The correct response is

"Vardy will play where I ask him to, wherever he plays he gives his all, and I expect the same against Spain, whether he plays up front out wide or comes off the bench". 

Instead he has made Vardy look difficult and should count himself lucky to be there. Unless Vardy has been asking to play down the middle, which I doubt, he doesn't strike me as that sort of character, I think he, more than anyone, appreciates this opportunity and how fortunate he is  wherever Hodgson decides to play him.

Disappointing comments from Roy, very disappointing. 

If Rooney starts up front against these top sides then it's a bit of a joke. Pace is so important in the modern game, and Vardy's rise demonstrates that - he's a large part in our rise to third - and form that is now clearly no fluke.

Whereas Rooney has no pace, and has been regressing for years. Even some of my Man Utd fan mates say the same. The stature of his club and wage got him the captaincy and almost a guaranteed starting position for England.

The situation is particularly galling as we'll likely be defending a lot against these sides and the better side in the Euros - who do you want up top? Someone who runs all day, defends from the front and is lightening quick making forward runs etc or Rooney?

Also, I've always thought the England set up is a bit elitist - so what bearing does Vardy's non-league background have on all this? He doesn't quite fit the mold. 

You could argue this,

In the early-mid 90's Ian Wright was arguably the best striker in the England but was constantly overlooked. In Euro 92, Taylor took Lineker (fair enough) but also a very young Alan Shearer and Alan Smudger Smith despite Wright being the top goalscorer that season.  He also hardly played under Venables (you could argue this was a golden era for English strikers but he was always the one to miss out)  and he played for Arsenal!

Yes he got 33 caps which isn't bad but when you consider he was Arsenal's All Time Goalscorer, and was scoring 20+ goals a season for 10 years, it's nowhere near what he deserved

It might be coincidence but I also wouldn't put it past the fact that they didn't go through the FA approved system, it goes against them

The more I read this the more annoying it gets. How can the manager of our national team think it's in any way a good idea to pick on the player who at this time must be the most confident and in-form English footballer? If Vardy has said something behind the scenes (which I very much doubt) then Roy should talk to him in private. The more likely scenario is Roy's sick of pundits and journalists telling him what to do - well he should say that, not take a dig at the player (who I'm pretty sure is very humble about being selected). Made all the worse by his justification for Alli/Dier.

Stunned at the poor man management skills displayed by Hodgson. Comes over like a spoilt kid. At his age he should rise above any comments from the 'experts" and media.

Jamie doesn't get much service from his England colleagues now, these comments will not help integrate him into the team.

Remember when Hodgson threw Sterling under the bus when he said in a Press Conference he said he was too tired to play?

Whether Sterling was right or wrong is irrelavent, that shit should stay behind closed doors. Just like Vardy is now, Sterling was then coming off the back of Liverpool's phenomenal season and arguably England's most in form player and he decides to take it upon himself to knock them down in front of everyone

Hodgson is a cretin,

I wouldn't normally be caught dead reading the comments on the Mail site but it seems like it's a popular choice to try him up front and not just from pundits

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3305991/Jamie-Vardy-not-push-luck-demand-England-striker-role-insists-boss-Roy-Hodgson.html

Bloody hell!

Vardy's first call-up: entire nation (outside of Leicester) calls for Hodgson's head for trying an unknown

Now: entire nation (including Leicester) calls for Hodgson's head for not picking Vardy as main striker. Hope Vardy reads those comments, seems everyone loves Vardy now and rightly so

I wouldn't normally be caught dead reading the comments on the Mail site but it seems like it's a popular choice to try him up front and not just from pundits

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3305991/Jamie-Vardy-not-push-luck-demand-England-striker-role-insists-boss-Roy-Hodgson.html

If that article is true then what a disgrace ...

That old cunnt needs sacking, unmotivating and uninspiring.

I really want to think that Hodge is saying these things to keep Vardy on his toes, but I think we all know he is actually just a bumbling saggy faced old man who hasn't got a clue what he is doing.

The thing that pisses me off the most is that the fa brought in this man to open the door to and bring through the next generation of England players and yet, the elitism has never been more obvious, at the same time as the players have never been more undeserving of a guaranteed start.

If the almost unbelievable shambles of the world cup, when we turned in the country's most pitiful performances at a major tournament ever, wasn't enough to sack the old tart, then I have no faith in the fa to sack him. But it's pretty clear the man needs to go. It's literally a waste of time even turning up next summer with that blithering fvcking pensioner on the touchline. I hope Vardy tells him to shove his walking stick up his arse and pulls out of the squad.

Hodgson should be supportive and make Vardy proud of playing for England.

He's doing exactly the opposite, as if he's telling Vardy off for wanting to start in the middle.

Bet Vardy is half-arsed to play for England now in all honestly, especially with how the season has gone for him.

To be fair if it gets him even more fired up for this weekend then it might be all good anyway. Sod England. Firmly club over country here and not one bit ashamed to admit it. That's what happens when you're a shambles like the FA.

I actually hope Spain and France both beat us with ease. I'm not even joking. It's the absolute least this complete shambles deserve.

To be fair if it gets him even more fired up for this weekend then it might be all good anyway. Sod England. Firmly club over country here and not one bit ashamed to admit it. That's what happens when you're a shambles like the FA.

I actually hope Spain and France both beat us with ease. I'm not even joking.

You dont even have to hope, we're bound to lose them both with the likes of Rooney, Gibbs and Delph in the squad.

Hodgson should be supportive and make Vardy proud of playing for England.

He's doing exactly the opposite, as if he's telling Vardy off for wanting to start in the middle.

Bet Vardy is half-arsed to play for England now in all honestly, especially with how the season has gone for him.

lol  lol  behave - he will literally be buzzing. He is about the only player in the squad where a call up will actually mean anything! He wont give a toss where he plays for England its just us fans and the press saying he should be playing through the middle not Vardy

Hahahahahaha! This is ridiculous.

In that interview he's talking about Vardy, saying just because he can play as a CF for Leicester, doesn't mean he can for England. If he plays Vardy up front, then what does he do with the players that play there already. 

So people calling for Vardy to play up front are being "simplistic". Then he's immediately asked about Rooney and how he recently scored a goal, "oh yes, that was good for him, because he hasn't scored in ages" 

Hmm who do we know who's scoring goals for fun up front....?

Also what's all this bollocks about “There is no doubt the qualities he has a football player are very useful. [And] They may be useful qualities for an international team.”

Am I going mad or is international football also a 90 minute game, with 11v11 and two goals at either end of the pitch? It's this constant preoccupation with trying to play 'international' football that makes the England team so crap to begin with. 

Archived