Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
wokinghamfox

Inler

Too slow on the ball but some of his passing one he got the ball out of his feet was excellent. He's barely played for 2 months and then comes in against the best midfield in the league. Why do we always have to complain about something?! The bloke can clearly become a very important player for us. He can't just adapt to the league without playing in it. 

He's so  talented I wouldn't have wanted him in my Non-League team. 

I'd accept that sort of statement if I didn't know you'd praise certain other players for exactly the same performance. 

...I say accept... Personally I think it's a shame fans can be so brutal after 1 performance. 

Too slow on the ball but some of his passing one he got the ball out of his feet was excellent. He's barely played for 2 months and then comes in against the best midfield in the league. Why do we always have to complain about something?! The bloke can clearly become a very important player for us. He can't just adapt to the league without playing in it. 

It's not clear to me - but I'll keep looking!  :)

Since when does a performance keeping de Bruyne, Sterling, and Da Silva quiet be classified as dreadful? Oh right, when he's not Andy "Scored a bunch of goals in the Championship in 2011" King.

I have to agree.

The criticism of Inler on here is unfair.

Naturally he might be slightly off the pace when he has hardly played any competitive football for us.

At least the guy didn't go missing.

He had the bravery and courage to get on the ball. He tried to make things happen where possible and showed some encouraging touches of link up play, along with Kant and DD

He also made a number of interceptions in a congested midfield. With no forward options apart from Vardy, what were people expecting of Inler tonight?!

He got the job done at the end of the day - can't believe some fans are slating this guy so early on. Probably the same fans who wrote off Vardy after his first season with us. 

I'd accept that sort of statement if I didn't know you'd praise certain other players for exactly the same performance. 

...I say accept... Personally I think it's a shame fans can be so brutal after 1 performance. 

What do you mean one performance. 

a) It's today's game that's under discussion.

b) I'm old generation. I say what I think not what's approved of.

c) He's played other games and part games. He was naive in those on occasions too as I mentioned at the time. Indeed, one of my great hopes tonight was that he might have learned from past mistakes. But in fact he made even more although he was on longer than usual and he also did some goodish things tonight which were at least contributory and allowed me to say something positive about him.

d) I'll praise anyone who does well and criticise anyone who does badly but I'll also defend against unfairness however badly they play. I've no complaint whatsoever about King being dropped or rested tonight but my defence of him was no less relevent and there's no way Inler looks like taking his place, or anyone else's, that's for sure.

Doesn't mean i don't think we should look for a genuinely potent attacking midfielder or that I don't believe Andy King's got an uphill battle trying to retain a place in the squad, especially considering he seems to have forsaken the attacking aspects of his game.

I presume he was introduced tonight to pass a bit of time and help us play the game out professionally ad, if so, fine. If he was introduced to get a goal and win the game (as I'd have liked) he didn't seem programmed for it and neither did anyone else in the closing stages.

Hahahaha and ha, I am always honest, Inler was ok, and far from dreadful.Seriously...

Lack of composure, frequently lost the ball, unable to open up any attacking channels, nearly gave away a penalty before being subbed. Ill accept he may still have a shout in helping us get somewhere this season, but on tonights performance, no chance so far.

My view after watching the game on the TV is very different from those i have spoken to who were present at the game.

Inler first half was clearing every ball out of our box, hoddle and hargreaves were continually praising him for his defensive positioning, which was top drawer.

Inler hasn't played regular football since last season, and looked far less out of his depth than Andy 'Run around looking lost' King's performance at anfield. People need to stop comparing him to cambiasso and instead compare him to our current players. The first 45 he played a lot better than drinky.

I think the criticism of this guy was misplaced after the game. Watched him very carefully the whole match and some of the tackles/interceptions he made were vital. On the ball he did give it away... but this is what really irritates me, when people say his team mates were on top of their game and covered for his mistakes! Did you not notice that the whole squad was giving the ball away, Drinky had a shocker in that regard.The guy is clearly very talented, made a few classy looking touches. My issue is taht he doesn't really fit the way we play. However I think he is important for the squad, constantly talking, motivating, and an experienced head to bring on or fill in the boots of an injured player. He is still adapting to the pace but his performance against City was a step in the right direction.

I think the criticism of this guy was misplaced after the game. Watched him very carefully the whole match and some of the tackles/interceptions he made were vital. On the ball he did give it away... but this is what really irritates me, when people say his team mates were on top of their game and covered for his mistakes! Did you not notice that the whole squad was giving the ball away, Drinky had a shocker in that regard.The guy is clearly very talented, made a few classy looking touches. My issue is taht he doesn't really fit the way we play. However I think he is important for the squad, constantly talking, motivating, and an experienced head to bring on or fill in the boots of an injured player. He is still adapting to the pace but his performance against City was a step in the right direction.

This exactly. I thought Inler had his best game, and although made some mistakes he did some important defensive work. Everyone criticising him for giving the ball away, when Drinky did similar things the entire game! (although he has earned some slack). 

I have liked Inler for a few years now, admittedly at first through fifa :) , and I really want him to do well for us, he made mistakes but the situation he was put in wasn't the easiest and I think he has lots to offer as an alternative to Drinkwater and Kante. Also he isn't the Swiss captain for nothing :) . He wasn't the stand out performer against Man City but he will grow to this league if he is given games.

My previous post got lost in the transition to the new forum update, so I'll try again:

I've gathered the stats on lost possession by our players against Manchester City up until Inler got subbed in the 67th minute:

Kanté 7 (5 in the first half, 2 in the second)

Mahrez 5 (3 in the first half, 2 in the second)

Inler 14 (6 in the first half, 8 in the second)

Drinkwater 11 (7 in the first half, 4 in the second)

Fuchs 10 (8 in the first half, 2 in the second)

Albrighton 10 (5 in each half)

Simpson 2 (both in the first half)

Schmeichel 1 (goal kick)

Vardy 3 (all in the first half)

Huth 2 (both in the second half)

The total amount includes astray ground passes (short & long), long balls, lost aerial duels (mishit headers) and getting bullied off the ball.

In the first half, pretty much all our midfielders were guilty of giving the ball away numerous times, yet where was the criticism aimed at Fuchs, Drinkwater, Albrighton or even Kanté?

Drinkwater and Fuchs were even worse than Inler in the first 45 minutes.

Also note that the two players with the highest total amount in that department are two proper central midfielders of which one has just returned from injury and the other not featured in a league game for roughly two months.

Archived