Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Pinkman

Depression

Only been unemployed for a week, but surprised how it can impact on one's health. Can't imagine how those who are 4-6 months unemployed feel.

Started to over-sleep despite thinking I'm just tired, and also feel jittery/feint in myself.

Feels like some sort of strange adjustment process.:S

Edited by Wymeswold fox

57 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Only been unemployed for a week, but surprised how it can impact on one's health. Can't imagine how those who are 4-6 months unemployed feel.

Started to over-sleep despite thinking I'm just tired, and also feel jittery/feint in myself.

I hope you are not claiming benefits because anyone unemployed for a week is simply not trying hard enough to find work and if you are not trying hard enough you don't deserve benefit.

3 minutes ago, Steven said:

I hope you are not claiming benefits because anyone unemployed for a week is simply not trying hard enough to find work and if you are not trying hard enough you don't deserve benefit.

Certainly not, and don't think I will.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Contrary to what someone else said - get a claim in now! 

You have to wait ages for a first payment / assistance, so it's better to get in the system early.

A claim through ESA (which I'm on for account of my depression) is a little quicker to come through and provides an extra £20 a week breathing space, but is still as awkward to navigate through. 

Edited by DJ Barry Hammond

2 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Go easy on yourself a bit mate. You're going through a lot of uncertainty right now and when human's don't feel in control, we can get a bit jittery.

If it feels like some sort of strange adjustment process, that's because it probably is! I'm not sure classing yourself as 'unemployed' is a healthy identity to have. There's been many times in my life where I've been 'between jobs' but I never classed myself as unemployed - just busy seeking my next position.

Trust yourself and do what feels right in the moment. If you feel tired - have a kip. If you feel energized - take action and do stuff. I spent years doing what I thought I should be doing at the time, but it just sent me into a spiral of depression. Now I trust my vibes and listen to my inner wisdom much more.

And as stated in the past, I believe it's all meant to be and things happen for a reason so don't be surprised if one day you look back on this episode as a blessing in disguise. Good luck buddy :thumbup:

2 hours ago, ROB-THE-BLUE said:

Been really struggling with mine recently. Find myself snapping at the kids and wife for silly things. Also, struggling to be excited about anything. Nothing seems to enthuse me anymore :(

I could have written that word for word mate :(

I used to set ambitious goals and strive to achieve them but now I cba. We've got a holiday coming up in a few weeks that I booked last October and I've been counting down the days ever since - which is sad. I know once we get back and it's all over, I'll be struggling with what to get excited about next. The thought of the dark nights then drawing in and the hassle of Xmas fills me with dread. But they're just thoughts, so I don't need to believe them to be true.

I need to find things to get excited about in life just like you. I suppose the football season is starting soon which is good, but apart from that life's all a bit meh really... 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Steven said:

No, of course someone who's clearly paid into the system shouldn't be allowed to use it when they need to.

For what it's worth, I didn't claim when I became unemployed a few years ago. Mixture of feeling too proud/like I was "sponging", in spite of the fact I was doing everything I could to find employment (well beyond the parameters of what the Job Centre required of me to do so too, I might add).

By the time I decided I actually needed the help because my search wasn't going as well as I'd hoped, it was too late. Would advise anyone entitled to it to claim because you never know if you'll need it a few weeks down the line. Luckily I found work before too long, but I could have got myself into a right mess if I hadn't - all because I felt too proud to claim.

• Like 1

What have the following people got in common ?

Michaelangelo, Newton , Dickens , Tolstoy, Christie, Morrison , Dylan, Hemingway, Churchill , Berlin, Wiggenstein , Aherne , Milligan, Van Gogh, Springstein, Greene

Answer : All suffered serious bouts of depression .

The World would have been a poorer place without them.

9 hours ago, cambridgefox said:

Maybe I being over sensitive towards people who are going through a tough time,but is this the right sort of response in this particular thread?

Yes you are.

29 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

No it's not the right sort of response - nor is it in the spirit of this thread. This is the one place that makes FT amazing and leaves political views and judgement based values aside. And @Steven should read the entire thread before before contributing again.

What makes you think I haven't. :rolleyes: Parody. :unsure:

1 hour ago, Swan Lesta said:

No it's not the right sort of response - nor is it in the spirit of this thread. This is the one place that makes FT amazing and leaves political views and judgement based values aside. And @Steven should read the entire thread before before contributing again.

Spot on.The odd thing is if it was posted in " How was your day" I would have probably taken it with a pinch of salt.

If you pay taxes and pay into the system its your right to use it.  Start the claim process and if you find a job before any monies are paid out fantastic. Thats the goal.

Keep your head up mate. Ive been between jobs several times due to re-orgs and each time i find a job thats right for me. Whether that take 2 weeks or 2 months is irrelevent. 

23 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Your value is not defined by your job.  You are a good guy.  If you don't enjoy sitting about feeling like you are not being useful, why not do some volunteering.  

• Like 2

The thing is Wymsey I  think you've showed great fortitude in posting on here after what recently happened.

Don't be afraid to post your skill sets on this forum ... there are a lot of people posting on this forum and an

awful lot of people reading the forum that don't post .. nothing ventured nothing gained ... a free advert if you like.

53 minutes ago, RODNEY FERNIO said:

The thing is Wymsey I  think you've showed great fortitude in posting on here after what recently happened.

Don't be afraid to post your skill sets on this forum ... there are a lot of people posting on this forum and an

awful lot of people reading the forum that don't post .. nothing ventured nothing gained ... a free advert if you like.

Thanks.

Some say unemployment is like a 'grieving' period, and is up there in trying to cope with the loss of a family member etc.

I can understand where they're coming from - trying everything but feel hurt and feel like nothing and of no value whatsoever. Have rarely felt like it before.

I'm 25, though feel older and already feel like time is running out currently in terms of starting a new career in something, and got strong experience mainly in clinical/healthcare and customer service.

-

I'm not particularly fussed about pay to start with - as long as a new company sees potential in me and willing to develop me, I'm fine with that.

Personally quite lucky I'm in no debt despite graduating a few years back now.

Am looking after myself in that I don't stay inside all day and try and put things into perspective (despite feeling at times that I'm the only one with this issue and most have got everything they want).

Edited by Wymeswold fox

I don't know if I'm depressed or not (online tests says I am). Job is on a tight rope, working 16hr days, six day weeks. Money is tighter then a nuns c%#t. Missus is going mental, threatening all sorts, kicking off just for the hell of it. 

I see the kids on my day but usually have my niece as well, which is great but by then i bloody knackered so the simple things become a challenge. 

Ive been depressed before and this doesn't feel like that, there's no sense of lose etc that I have felt before. But I am at breaking point and the only thing keeping me afloat is my little girl. 

Feeling the pressure a lot

3 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Thanks.

Some say unemployment is like a 'grieving' period, and is up there in trying to cope with the loss of a family member etc.

I can understand where they're coming from - trying everything but feel hurt and feel like nothing and of no value whatsoever. Have rarely felt like it before.

I'm 25, though feel older and already feel like time is running out currently in terms of starting a new career in something, and got strong experience mainly in clinical/healthcare and customer service.

-

I'm not particularly fussed about pay to start with - as long as a new company sees potential in me and willing to develop me, I'm fine with that.

Am looking after myself in that I don't stay inside all day and try and put things into perspective (despite feeling at times that I'm the only one with this issue and most have got everything they want).

I don't know you personally Wymsey but you always come across as one of the good guys on FT.

You say you feel like you've got no value but then say you've got strong experience in clinical/healthcare and customer service. Sounds to me like you've got's lots of value..

I love how money isn't your main driver and that you want a company to see your potential and develop you. That's a fantastic attitude to have and any employer worth their salt will see that potential in you and give you the chance to prove yourself. Work hard, learn, show commitment, and the money and rewards will no doubt follow...

And FWIW your still a young pup at 25. That's no age at all in the grand scheme of things and you've still got 40 years or work left - so no rush! 

Keep looking after yourself mate and trust me, very few people have everything they want. It's a myth. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, srbfox said:

I don't know if I'm depressed or not (online tests says I am). Job is on a tight rope, working 16hr days, six day weeks. Money is tighter then a nuns c%#t. Missus is going mental, threatening all sorts, kicking off just for the hell of it. 

I see the kids on my day but usually have my niece as well, which is great but by then i bloody knackered so the simple things become a challenge. 

Ive been depressed before and this doesn't feel like that, there's no sense of lose etc that I have felt before. But I am at breaking point and the only thing keeping me afloat is my little girl. 

Feeling the pressure a lot

Kin el mate, sounds like you're on the edge...

Working that many hours just isn't sustainable. Something will ultimately give - usually a relationship or your health (been there, done that)

Nobody deserves to feel under that much pressure. Remember your employer (I assume you're employed?) have a duty of care to look after your well-being. When I was where you are, I was too stubborn to ask for help and ultimately it cost me my health. If I had my time again I'd raise the white flag and admit I was struggling. 

What would happen if you went to your boss/line manager and told the how you were feeling? How could they help and support you better?

You've got to look after number 1 first mate. You're not super human FFS and your family need you around. Take care of yourself and keep us updated on things. We're all here to support you on this thread and hopefully some on here who are more wiser than me will offer you some pearls of wisdom..

9 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Thanks.

-

Tricky situation because to get any job, you have to be to some extent a cocky bastard - but at the same time, the prospect of rejection always looms.

I guess possibly the key here is to ensure you allow yourself to be ambitious in terms of what you apply for - even if you have to do that via reverse psychology a little at first to protect yourself.

Hopefully from that some good instincts will kick in from your insecurities - such as fear of failure translating itself into a desire to be as well prepared and presented throughout the application process. 

From that position, cocky bastard status should rise sufficiently to give off the impression you need - and although I hate myself at the fake bravado level when I have to do it - I've learnt to accept it's a means to an end and find it amazing how good it can feel.

It's important to remember that negative feelings / depression are actually there for a good reason - they represent the fear of change and sadness of passing of an old way off life. They also help protect us from rejection - all of these potential factors in your scenario. 

But they only become good forces if we learn to counteract the effects they have on our self belief and confidence - which is why I highlighted the bit of your response (feel mean for doing so mind) because you need to switch the mindset there.

The notion I'll take anything (although probably true to your feelings), doesn't connect with positive self thoughts of worth, so try and get to a place where your certain of what direction(s) you want to go that is ambitious.

True, that is easier said than done - but that tweak could lead to a sea of good change within.