Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ramboacdc

another school shooting

Another school-related shooting > no change in more strict gun laws in the US > another school shooting occurs etc.

Another school-related shooting > no change in more strict gun laws in the US > another school shooting occurs etc.

Another school-related shooting > no change in more strict gun laws in the US > another school shooting occurs etc.

Another school-related shooting > no change in more strict gun laws in the US > another school shooting occurs etc.

It's been like this routine for years, that another incident becomes apparent all too regularly.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

4 minutes ago, toddybad said:

The (predominantly Republican) politicians in the NRAs pockets are scum.

No arguments here mate.

It just been reported that the suspect in custody is an 18 year old ex student of the school and some even 'predicted' this might happen.

How an 18 year old can get his hands on these weapons and then go around shooting dozens of people is beyond me...

• Like 1

Just now, Izzy Muzzett said:

No arguments here mate.

It just been reported that the suspect in custody is an 18 year old ex student of the school and some even 'predicted' this might happen.

How an 18 year old can get his hands on these weapons and then go around shooting dozens of people is beyond me...

It would have been beyond him if it wasn't so easy to get hold of guns.

I can't understand why nobody had pulled the nra up on the obvious flaw in their argument that good guys with guns stop bad guys with guns: the good guys can only react. If they are 1-minute away that is a lot of death. If they are on the scene they'll be shot first and will be useless. 

The whole country is nuts. Well half I suppose.

1 hour ago, toddybad said:

It would have been beyond him if it wasn't so easy to get hold of guns.

I can't understand why nobody had pulled the nra up on the obvious flaw in their argument that good guys with guns stop bad guys with guns: the good guys can only react. If they are 1-minute away that is a lot of death. If they are on the scene they'll be shot first and will be useless. 

The whole country is nuts. Well half I suppose.

Well i was thinking on this and wondering why no-one has called their bluff and simple gone - well do it; put trained people with guns into schools.

And that’s because even if we ignored the moral outrage it would cause; there are so many other difficulties with this idea it looks almost impossible to implement;

1. How many trained shooters do you need in a school (especially one of this size)
  2. What calibur of gun do you provide?
  3. Where would you store them
  4. How would you ensure unauthorised people couldn’t get access to them? 
  5. Would you have sufficent people willing to be trained?
  6. How much training / how regulary revisited should the training be?
  7. How do you provide training for situations that are as tense and highly charged as these examples?
  8. What would the code of use be? 
  9. Would the addition of further people with firearms on site make the job of law enforcement / SWAT teams more difficult and dangerous when trying to intervene?
  10. Typically, are the preperatraitors of these acts afraid of getting caught or dying? (and thus theorising whether having ‘defensive’ guns on site would act as a deterrent?)

The other thing to consider - if return fire was an issue, these kinds of people may well turn to planting explosive devices instead. That they don’t now (although this latest one did plant two ineffective devices I believe) probably owes to how easy obtaining high calibur, semi-automatic weapons are.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Well i was thinking on this and wondering why no-one has called their bluff and simple gone - well do it; put trained people with guns into schools.

And that’s because even if we ignored the moral outrage it would cause; there are so many other difficulties with this idea it looks almost impossible to implement;

1. How many trained shooters do you need in a school (especially one of this size)
  2. What calibur of gun do you provide?
  3. Where would you store them
  4. How would you ensure unauthorised people couldn’t get access to them? 
  5. Would you have sufficent people willing to be trained?
  6. How much training / how regulary revisited should the training be?
  7. How do you provide training for situations that are as tense and highly charged as these examples?
  8. What would the code of use be? 
  9. Would the addition of further people with firearms on site make the job of law enforcement / SWAT teams more difficult and dangerous when trying to intervene?
  10. Typically, are the preperatraitors of these acts afraid of getting caught or dying? (and thus theorising whether having ‘defensive’ guns on site would act as a deterrent?)

The other thing to consider - if return fire was an issue, these kinds of people may well turn to planting explosive devices instead. That they don’t now (although this latest one did plant two ineffective devices I believe) probably owes to how easy obtaining high calibur, semi-automatic weapons are.

Much trickier to make, conceal, and kill people with explosive devices than it guns. Get a lot of dud explosive devices, and they're much trickier to make (even if you have the knowledge) as opposed to popping down to Walmart to pick up an assault rifle.

Shit hole country with so many issues its not funny.

Absolute sickening act of senseless violence. Heart goes outnto the victims and their families.

Queue the "we need to change" talk and then the repubs saying "nows not the time to discuss gun control". It never is because there's always a effing shooting at a school every week it seems.

Not that gun control will solve the problem  (although any help would be nice).

At what point is the line drawn, will it ever get to that stage? For instance one of these gunts goes into a preschool and kills 25 young kids would that be enough for NRA freaks to realise guns are the problem and not the answer? I doubt it would.

39 minutes ago, Wookie said:

At what point is the line drawn, will it ever get to that stage? For instance one of these gunts goes into a preschool and kills 25 young kids would that be enough for NRA freaks to realise guns are the problem and not the answer? I doubt it would.

That happened in 2012 (sandy hook, youngest victims were 6 years old) and yet here we are.

7 hours ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

I'd guess because nobody but the gun lobby are stupid enough to think that a good guy with a gun does stop a bad guy with a gun.  

BBC needs to stop with the "What do we know about the shooter" articles. The whole reason these losers shoot up schools is so everyone knows their name. 

Horrific shooting though. Couldn't imagine being a parent sending your kid off to school and them never coming home again, that or being a student going to school like any other day and your life being cut short or changed forever. 

Nothing will change though, sadly.

10 hours ago, Buce said:

When that mass shooting happened in Vegas there was a statistic that in the previous 365 days there had been an average of slightly more than one a day (bear in mind that there has to be at least four victims for it to even qualify as one).

Edit: An even better (worse?) statistic: the Vegas shooting was the 1,516th mass shooting in 1,735 days.

American society is seriously fvcked up.

Whilst shootings in America are far too high and I think something needs to be done, that is the biggest load of bull I've read. A mass shooting happens around once per 50 days in the us. 

Banning guns, while desirable, wouldn't solve the problem at all because America is awash with firearms already. Bad guys would just buy them from criminals.

The only solution that I can see would be to make schools into high security institutions, with fences, locked gates, and armed guards at those gates. How practical that would be, I don't know.

Maybe some of our oz foxes would know but didn't Australia once have a problem regarding firearms? I seem to remember reading an article on how they changed laws, took firearms out of circulation and generally changed the mentality surrounding guns which put a stop to these kind of shootings. I know the culture, intensity and frequency is different in the US but maybe they could learn some lessons and it maybe shows successful steps can be taken if the people who have the power care more for lives rather than votes and donors. 

On 03/06/2016 at 08:32, Webbo said:

I'm sure there are cannabis users involved in less high profile shootings as well. Legalising something that causes psychotic incidents doesn't seem like a good way to reduce violence to me.

He smoked a pack of 20 cigs too and 4 tins of special brew apparantley 

oh and had his haircut a few hours earlier

Ban cigarettes, alcohol and barbers too   

Reading on this earlier two parents of kids at the school who were interviewed were saying they didn't see how millions of guns could be taken out of society and they wouldn't want their guns taken away by the government. It's hopeless when even the parents think like that.

55 minutes ago, bovril said:

Not sure if it's just about gun control. Seems to be a very violent society in some parts.

Something I've said for years. Gun laws do need reform, I have no problem with a guy who lives miles from any law enforcement in Wyoming owning a weapon for his own security but when a guy in New York can go into a store and buy something that lets off 100 bullets a minute something is completely wrong.

There are so many guns in the USA it's not going to stop mass shootings happening, firearms are illegal across the Americas and they have huge problems everywhere except Canada, which probably shows it's cultural thing more than anything.