Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxes21

Arsenal Pre-Match Thread

9 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Only for those people that don't understand football, as well as the media (because they'll print exactly that), but a crisis is not after two games.

Arsenal will most definitely be in crisis if they lose. The Wenger out contingent gets larger with every penny unspent. As for as us it depends what you call crisis. We don't have a formation that suits our players, the manager has not adapted tactically to the loss of Kante, we will struggle to get into the top half this year. I personally don't consider that a crisis but it could be better.

18 hours ago, lgfualol said:

I think if we go 442 it would be unfair to drop Musa. Vardy doesn't look sharp enough yet, I couldnt imagine people keeping Musa in the team if he missed those chances Vardy did at Hull.

Musa played really well against Hull and put in such an effort, he could hardly be stopped, has a knack for evading tackles (by a great turning movement) and was almost too unselfish.

I love Okazaki as much as anyone, but it wouldn't be fair to drop Musa already after Saturday's showing.

King went missing a lot at the KCOM and it was Vardy's wastefulness in front of goal, coupled with a lightweight midfield that cost us dearly.

I'd rather have Albrighton back at LM and am looking forward to what Mendy has to offer in the centre.

I want to see Mendy start Saturday (I'm assuming he didn't against Hull because he wasn't quite match fit yet) He will give us more balance in the middle. I love Kingy but he's not a defensive midfielder and we didn't have enough strength in midfield.

12 minutes ago, Loggy88 said:

I want to see Mendy start Saturday (I'm assuming he didn't against Hull because he wasn't quite match fit yet) He will give us more balance in the middle. I love Kingy but he's not a defensive midfielder and we didn't have enough strength in midfield.

No he didn't start as his wife was dropping a sprog.

I'd try Musa as a wide attacking option. I think a lot of thinking is needed RE formations. If we stick with 4-4-2 and it doesn't work this could get ugly very quickly, but on the flip side switching formation could also have a negative impact, for both sides so many questions need answering in this game, only the second game in but it has great importance. 

52 minutes ago, SuperMike said:

A lot of comments on here for/against Musa. I thought he was our ONLY attacking threat. Also agree with the people who have said King 'went missing'.

Big change in attitude needed if we are to avoid humiliation at the hands of Arsenal.

Id agree with that but still think Shinji should have started instead of him ...   Then if JV was having a mare replace HIM with Musa.

It was always going to upset the momentum having new players come in and losing Kante, but I still think when all the new additions playing the same as we do then I think we will get back to playing some bloody great football as we showed in some of the pre season games there were flashes of brilliance so all we need to do is get them playing like that for most of the game!

i trust Claudio and his team to get thinks right and I really hope we do against Arseholenal and Vardy to rip the hell out of them !!:vardy:

lots of pace against their centre backs. we need people running into the space and creating problems for their defence, that is their weakness. we tried to match them last season and got thumped, we need to be more clever, get tackles in and put them under pressure. the more pressure on them the more their fans will turn against them

On 8/14/2016 at 11:01, FireFox said:

Zieler

Hernandez - Huth - Morgan

Albrighton - Drinky - Amartey - Fuchs

Mahrez - Okazaki - Musa

Schmeichel has been terrible last few games and I thought he had his worst game of all at Hull.

So I'm with you FireFox:

Zieler
Simpson-Morgan-Huth-Fuchs
Mahrez-Drinkwater-Mendy-Albrighton
Vardy-Okazaki

Okazaki holds the ball up so well and I think our counter-attacking Plan A works best when we keep it tight at least for the first-half of a game. Musa's a phenomenal sub off the bench for me but not proved his starting worth... yet.

We need to keep it tight.

City to win 1-0.

4 minutes ago, zealot said:

Schmeichel has been terrible last few games and I thought he had his worst game of all at Hull.

So I'm with you FireFox:

Zieler
Simpson-Morgan-Huth-Fuchs
Mahrez-Drinkwater-Mendy-Albrighton
Vardy-Okazaki

Okazaki holds the ball up so well and I think our counter-attacking Plan A works best when we keep it tight at least for the first-half of a game. Musa's a phenomenal sub off the bench for me but not proved his starting worth... yet.

We need to keep it tight.

City to win 1-0.

You're changing five players there from the opening day - we didn't play great, but Ranieri (despite his reputation) has not been one for wholesale changes. Even last year it took a few games for him to bed Kanté into a starting spot even though he clearly had something. With this in mind, I don't think he'll change the keeper; Huth should come back. Maybe Mendy gets a start ahead of King, but I'm not even sure he'll do that. I don't think he will drop a young lad like Gray, a new signing like Musa or two of our key title winners in Vardy and Mahrez just yet. 

It's good that we have some options now, but it will take time to click just as it did last season - maybe more so as I think our pre-season wasn't ideal. 

What is distressing me is reading about Gueye's debut at Everton (one of the nationals compared him to Kanté). If NG was so crucial to how we played, why didn't we get a like for like - he always seemed an obvious replacement. Mendy had better be damn good - I don't buy that he was brought in as anything other than Kanté's replacement, so he has to be up to it. 

36 minutes ago, Sooper Steve's shin said:

You're changing five players there from the opening day - we didn't play great, but Ranieri (despite his reputation) has not been one for wholesale changes. Even last year it took a few games for him to bed Kanté into a starting spot even though he clearly had something. With this in mind, I don't think he'll change the keeper; Huth should come back. Maybe Mendy gets a start ahead of King, but I'm not even sure he'll do that. I don't think he will drop a young lad like Gray, a new signing like Musa or two of our key title winners in Vardy and Mahrez just yet. 

It's good that we have some options now, but it will take time to click just as it did last season - maybe more so as I think our pre-season wasn't ideal. 

What is distressing me is reading about Gueye's debut at Everton (one of the nationals compared him to Kanté). If NG was so crucial to how we played, why didn't we get a like for like - he always seemed an obvious replacement. Mendy had better be damn good - I don't buy that he was brought in as anything other than Kanté's replacement, so he has to be up to it. 

He needs to drop Gray for a game like this.  Arsenal are too good for him to make the mistakes he did against Hull.  He was offering no covering support to Fuchs, sloppy passing and as much as his positive attacking runs were a sign of things to come, that game they came to the square root of fuch all.  Several wasteful long shot rather than playing others in.  Gray was too selfish and Musa wasn't greedy enough.

Mendy needs to come in for King and Amartey for Gray.  I doubt he would play a 433 but if he does he can have Mahrez, Musa and Vardy attacking knowing they have 3 in midfield to shore things up.  If 442 then Albrighton for Gray and bring him on in the second half. 

Shinji must have been practising a lot in the off season.  The move where he turns and shields the ball before sprinting off is working to good effect where as last season most times he tried this he ended up on the ground.

I'm not sure about Gueye, every time I saw him play he wasn't that great.  His stats were high but they would be as Villa were getting battered every game so lots of chances to get blocks in, they still shipped a lot of goals.  He was more damage limitation where as Kante provided a brick wall as well as breaking up play and starting attacks off by carrying the ball down the other end.

It's all well and good people stating the obvious, of course we and most of the mid table down teams in every league in Europe needs a Kante type player but where are they?  Any other player will be a poor version as we had the best.  

We need to move on and work out the best way of covering our defence and letting Drinky play his game.

If it wasn't Arsenal I'd go Musa and Okazaki up front. Looked good against Barcelona and Vardy doesn't look very sharp at all. But he's bound to bag against that mob so play him.

Strangely confident depsite Saturday. Think getting back home and having a 'better' team to play against will see us revert to our best.

Schmeichel

Simpson

Morgan

Huth

Fuchs

Mahrez

Mendy

Drinkwater

Albrighton

Okazaki

Vardy

Subs: Musa, Amartey, Hernandez, Zieler, Gray, King, Ulloa

Harsh to drop Musa but Okazaki gives us some extra protection in midfield when we haven't got the ball. I'd be tempted to go 3 in the middle with Amartey and have Musa out wide in a 4-3-3 but I think right know Ranieri will favour Okazaki and Albrighton in our familia4 4-4-1-1. I think Vardy will have an absolute stormer on Saturday. We'll be 2 up inside 30 mins and then concede 2 in the 2nd half and it'll finish either 2-2 or we'll nick it 3-2 towards the end, hopefully the latter.

How is Schmeichel being dropped by some after 1 game? Jesus christ. Zieler may get his chance eventually and he seems a good keeper so he may well take it, but the lack of respect shown to Kasper is ridiculous. Remember when he saved us against Swansea and Burnley during our great escape? Or when he somehow saved Kane's shot at WHL and knocked it onto the crossbar? I can think of him letting Wallace's free kick in at home against Burnley a couple of years back as a genuine error on his part, but apart from that he's been pretty excellent as a stopper in this division. His kicking/quick distribution sometimes leads to us giving the ball straight back to the opposition but there are many instances where it's lead to opportunities for us too. Seem to remember Southampton at home last year where he caught absolutely everything that came into the box aswell, not sure if it was the game tbh but he's obviously improved in that regard too. He's one of our captains out there and he doesn't deserve half the stick he gets.

1 hour ago, Sooper Steve's shin said:

Mendy was on the radar months before Kante was sold, and plays nothing like the style of game Kante does.  

Not it sure why Gueye wasn't looked at as he was only second to Kante in the stats last season. That could be a mistake. 

Maybe Walsh kept that one for his new employers. 

I understood CR is coach only and doesn't get involved - as a rule - in choosing who we sign. 

The he sooner we get the Walsh replacement the better. 

Time me is ticking on the transfer window. 

Of all the teams we played last season they were the lot that p*ssed me off the most with their constant whining and moaning at the ref particularly at the library. The constant berating of the ref trying to get our players booked/sent off, throwing themselves to the ground at any eventuality and their pathetic over the top celebrations/lap of honour (how did that work out for you huh ? :-) )  made them the most obnoxious lot we played all season. I for one haven't forgotten and will take every opportunity on Sat of reminding them of this fact. We need to raise the roof as they say and get into them. No mercy.

4 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Zieler (Purely as i'm interested to see how he looks in a proper game)

Hernandez (Again, interested to see how he looks in comparison to Simpson)

Morgan

Huth

Fuchs

Amartey

Drinky

Mendy

Mahrez

Vardy

Musa

You don't pick players 'out of interest', that's what friendlies are for. You pick the team you think is best.

Archived