Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
RODNEY FERNIO

Swansea City ( a ) next Sunday

I'd go with:

Schmeichel

Chilwell

Huth

Benalouane

Simpson

Ndidi

Amartey

Gray

Mahrez

Albrighton

Slimani

Should be a lot stronger defensively, more comfortable on the ball and a lot quicker at the back. Considered keeping Amartey at RB, but 3 changes to the defence might unsettle us a bit and I wouldn't be confident in Drinkwater, Mendy or King in CM for a game as important as this (as well as King played last night)

Issues could be 120 minutes for some of them last night, and although the midfield 2 will be strong defensively and Ndidi will drive us forward, there may not be much of a link between them and forwards unless Mahrez drops deep.

The best thing about last night was there was passing instead of hoofing all the time to me thats because Simpson Morgan and Huth wasn't playing so i would only bring 1 of them back in on Sunday maybe huth gray has to start slimani will aswell also Chillwell has to start if ranieri goes back to all the same team has before and we get beat playing shit then i really do think he will be under massive pressure 

30 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

I'd go with:

Schmeichel

Chilwell

Huth

Benalouane

Simpson

Ndidi

Amartey

Gray

Mahrez

Albrighton

Slimani

Should be a lot stronger defensively, more comfortable on the ball and a lot quicker at the back. Considered keeping Amartey at RB, but 3 changes to the defence might unsettle us a bit and I wouldn't be confident in Drinkwater, Mendy or King in CM for a game as important as this (as well as King played last night)

Issues could be 120 minutes for some of them last night, and although the midfield 2 will be strong defensively and Ndidi will drive us forward, there may not be much of a link between them and forwards unless Mahrez drops deep.

No way can Albrighton play in any other position than wide right. And Mahrez is better. Gray has made left his own now. we just need that link up player that shinji cant do. Kappy was good last night.

6 minutes ago, les-tah said:

No way can Albrighton play in any other position than wide right. And Mahrez is better. Gray has made left his own now. we just need that link up player that shinji cant do. Kappy was good last night.

Albrighton is on the right in my team mate! I reckon Mahrez could be that link through the middle... Showed his class last night when he found space. I think teams have sussed out how to nullify him on the wing, so I'd just give him a free(ish) central role.

For me, need to be brave. 

Schmeichel

Simpson Benalouane Amartey Chilwell

Mahrez Ndidi King Gray

Slimani Musa

I would consider DD instead of King or possibly Mendy but he would need to step up. In the case of Drinkwater, I think he is a bad influence on the field with his stroppy attitude at the moment that I wouldn't pick him. I have been in teams where one person is so disruptive that it is infectious in a bad way.

Amartey has won plaudits for CB in AFCON. Don't think he's nimble enough for RB.

we cannot play huth and morgan after watching last night's performance. it showed how slow they are and how much the hoof style they adopt isn't working. We looked pacier at the back, quicker to react to things and played football from the back as well.

Schmeichel

Amartey      Benalouane   Huth   chilwell

Drinky            Ndidi

Albrighton        Mahrez           Gray

Slimani 

With Huth,Benalouane,Slimani,Amartey and Ndidi we should be a threat from set pieces aswell. 

20 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

Albrighton is on the right in my team mate! I reckon Mahrez could be that link through the middle... Showed his class last night when he found space. I think teams have sussed out how to nullify him on the wing, so I'd just give him a free(ish) central role.

I think your possibly right there. If we play Slimani we need to play to his strengths which is get crosses into the box for him. Albrighton is our best player for doing that.  In fairness last night he had extra cover duties it seemed to aid Armarty who whilst he did fine, was playing in an unfamiliar role. I agree with Gray on the left if he's not too knackered or injured as Musa has always looked poor on the left for me. As for who goes behind Slimani then there's a choice of Vardy, Okazaki, Kaputska, or Mahrez. Kaputska didn't do badly last night but you can see why Ranieri doesn't think he's ready for Premiership football, he clearly has good technical skills but is lightweight and tends to concede possession too much. Vardy to me thus far hasn't shown that he can adapt to the parnership with Slimani. So it's either the energy and work rate of  Okazaki versus the guile and on his day, the brilliance of Mahrez,  it just depends which Mahrez you get turning up! Over the last couple of weeks I've slagged him off big time on here but it's not personal or even doubting his ability, just his attitude. I think the players after all the coverage will have got the message, so I like you would give Mahrez a chance. I thought he did well last night. 

Chilwell is very talented and certainly seems to progress every time he plays a sufficient amount of a game. Fuchs practically gifted United a goal, got skinned all evening and didn't offer any progressive running because he looked terrified to go up against Valencia. Derby's right back yesterday was quick, strong and athletic yet Chilwell didn't let that phase him and got into the box several times, certainly winning a penalty if not for the clown in referee's clothing. He's also got a solid 10+ years on Fuchs - his athleticism is so refreshing to see.

Benny earns a start in my opinion. Swansea have Llorente and Morgan's current success rate in dealing with ariel balls is terrifyingly bad, so I'd really like to see him dropped. 

Simpson is less of a tough call in my opinion. He's not even showing that fearlessness he did last season - we all knew he was absolutely bang average before we signed him and he's showing exactly what we don't need; a complete lack of composure and even less imagination when going forward. Amartey rarely looked long. He didn't play the difficult pass and didn't linger on the ball for far too long, only to just about scrape a hoofed ball. He did exceptionally well to keep hold of an experienced and very pacy Anya last night. While his positioning might not be superb yet, he put in a shift that earned him a place on Sunday.

These are the key positions that determine the outcome of our game in my opinion. Positive defending, composure on the ball and hitting the midfield with gusto, as proven yesterday, suit us massively. The rest of the team virtually picks itself (with Ndidi, Gray etc). 

15 minutes ago, surrifox said:

I can't see him playing Benny after 120 minutes last night - think the Ones sitting at home with their feet up are already selected to play Sunday 

Yea, I was asked, but I'll be ironing my scrotum on Sunday.

Massive game, a win takes the pressure off a fair bit. Law of averages suggests that we have to win away sooner or later and this would be a highly opportune moment to do so.

I know it's a bit old fashioned and negative but I'd be tempted to do a man marking job on Sigurdson, if you can stop him then you go a fair way to stopping them. It's hard to think of another team in the PL who are that reliant on one player. When they win at the moment he always seems to be on the score sheet. 

1 hour ago, Koke said:

We also got Sevilla away on Wednesday so Ranieri might have one eye on the as well.

I think the club realises the Sevilla game is nothing more than a glamour tie now. It's depressing that the most exciting and prestigious game we've ever been part of is largely irrelevant, but that's the state we are in! We may never be in in the Champions League ever again, but I think we have to just accept that we did amazing to get there in the first place and to qualify for the last 16, and mark that down as "pretty good" and move on. 

We have to fight to the death on Sunday, nothing else will do. A scrappy 1-0 win at Swansea followed by a 4-0 drubbing to Sevilla is preferable to a loss at Swansea but a miracle result in the Champions League.

So what do you think CR will do against the two defensive lines Swansea will implement, Clement is probably the best defensive coach in Europe and he loves to frustrate the opposition, what tends to happen with the experience of Clement I have is this, you will push up against his two banks of four, you will be sucked into playing really narrow and he will frustrate you until you change your formation, you will try and make your wingers more expansive to combat the two lines and move them out to the wing and he will punish you, how many 1-0 Clement wins I have witnessed is unreal, he bored the left breast off me.

1 hour ago, AmarteyAndChill said:

Schmeichel

Amartey      Benalouane   Huth   chilwell

Drinky            Ndidi

Albrighton        Mahrez           Gray

Slimani 

With Huth,Benalouane,Slimani,Amartey and Ndidi we should be a threat from set pieces aswell. 

Great minds think alike. :ph34r:

Claudio needs to put his faith in youth Ndidi, chilwell,Gray with  Kapustka perhaps coming off the bench. these young players have a lot of pace and energy and need trust shown in them. benny had his best game for us against Derby and i'd ease him into the side and not make a judgement after one decent game in the cup, although at present won't be any worse than Huth or Morgan. we need a win and we need to show we can be defensively solid. we shouldn't go gung ho or do the long balls. we need to be measured in our approach and get the ball to the quick players and get balls into their box. don't just sit back and take the pressure but have more possession and control of the ball and utilize it more. We desperately need Mahrez to spark into life and the question is can he do it! at the moment Gray and Ndidi look like our two best players and we need them on the ball as much as possible and we need to get them into spaces where they can hurt the opposition. our midfield need to back up these two players as much as possible and drinkwater needs to get to start running the midfield again and get the engine running and be the supplier to the younger players to get forward

Archived