Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UPinCarolina

Premier League, 2017-2018 Season Thread

50 minutes ago, Lovejoy said:

If your not interested in the bloke why would you want to end your holiday early to meet him or actually spend money to fly him to you while your on holiday 

15 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

If your not interested in the bloke why would you want to end your holiday early to meet him or actually spend money to fly him to you while your on holiday 

Where does he say he wasn't interested?

FWIW, I've got a lot of time for Steve Parish as chairman of Palace.

He always comes across as brutally honest and completely genuine when I've heard him speak...

22 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Where does he say he wasn't interested?

It doesn't Per Se, but if an agent has to beg someone to see thier client I would suggest that that person has no interest in originally meeting them 

Just now, jammie82uk said:

It doesn't Per Se, but if an agent has to beg someone to see thier client I would suggest that that person has no interest in originally meeting them 

I imagine 90% of contact from agents is basically begging.

Are you picturing the agent crying on the phone, blubbering and asking Mr Parish to just give his client a chance?

I imagine his tweet is an element of saving face so he's just exaggerating the truth.

1 minute ago, filbertway said:

I imagine 90% of contact from agents is basically begging.

Are you picturing the agent crying on the phone, blubbering and asking Mr Parish to just give his client a chance?

I imagine his tweet is an element of saving face so he's just exaggerating the truth.

Seems to be a misunderstanding that was what I was trying to say in the first reply, seems press report was spot on and he is just like you say trying to save face 

1 hour ago, jammie82uk said:

Seems to be a misunderstanding that was what I was trying to say in the first reply, seems press report was spot on and he is just like you say trying to save face 

Haha sorry man. As I was typing, I was just thinking "I don't care about this enough to try and argue". Apologies for the misunderstanding :D

• Like 1

On the face of it, 8th place and a cup final is a very good season for a club like that. But you have to factor in that they were 17 points behind last season's total, 8th had a ridiculously low total of points and they scored 17 goals at home, failing to score in their last five having averaged two per game in the two seasons before it.

Slightly harsh but understandable too.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, UPinCarolina said:

Tuchel favorite to take over at St. Mary's? You have to imagine he would have words with the club about their selling habits though.

Massive own goal by us if he goes there and we didn't even attempt to bring him in.

40 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

I thought he'd been sacked a couple of weeks ago.

Suspect they have been waiting to get the man they want in before sacking the bloke.

Think Puel was never liked - they were quite negative and as pointed out above didn't score many.

35 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

It's a big risk sticking with Shakespeare given how we ended the season, Tuchel is proven at the highest level.

So was Pep remind us what he did with one of the most expensive squads in Europe last season?

Seems like Steve Walsh is going shopping in Milan for Everton 

in talks with Ac for Carlos Bacca, M'baye Niang and Gianluca Lapadula 

also in talks with Inter for Ever Banega, Marcelo Brozovic and Jeison Murillo 

7 hours ago, lcfcsnow said:

It's a big risk sticking with Shakespeare given how we ended the season, Tuchel is proven at the highest level.

Tuchel would be exciting but Shakespeare deserves the job here. Been around for years, part of our biggest successes and last year saved us with a few games to spare. If we complete the Maguire deal this weekend then we've also got a promising start to his full time reign. The last few games last seasons weren't a great watch, but we should get behind him and give him a chance!

Also whilst it's great having a team that plays attractive football it's important to have a style that suits the players and team in question. I feel like the genius behind our title was that we played a style that was so different to anyone else and maximised the strengths of all of our players. Southampton have played great stuff and developed amazing players over the last few years (well last season they were less good to watch), but what have they won? In our league it will be impossible to match the top teams in terms of style as they will always be able to attract better players. I think there is a logic to playing a different way that does not require as many expensive players, but that is still effective.

• Like 1

We've been linked with Murillo, half the Prem probably is. The Lapadula link will just be because Walsh looked at him here, Niang is terrible, it's just his agent putting it out.

Bacca and Broz? Maybe but they're nothing exceptional. 

• Like 1