Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UPinCarolina

Premier League, 2017-2018 Season Thread

47 minutes ago, brucey said:

Tbh I'd much rather Chelsea and Arsenal wobble and get 5th and 6th (if we get EL through 7th).

They are the only two clubs that have shown proper intent on stealing our players (i.e. Riyad) and if we're all in EL together, it makes it much harder for them to do so.

Not really. Chelsea took Kante when we were in the Champions League and they had no European football. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Danizen said:

Not really. Chelsea took Kante when we were in the Champions League and they had no European football. 

Still makes clubs marginally less likely to attract our players if they are in the EL rather than the CL.

4 hours ago, DrezZone said:

Marco Silva has been sacked. I'm sort of glad now we went with Puel. Maybe Silva would've been "bad" with us if he was appointed. Now I'm definitely sure Watford will start slipping down the table.

BTW, I actually supported the appointment of Puel. I meant at the beginning of the season when Shakespeare was appointed.

Marco Silva is a piece of sh*t.

It's his usual behaviour: goes to a new Club, wins half dozen games and then he wants to move to a next team or starts to put the players of his agent or who he likes, not the best players.

He was in Sporting CP and after 14-15 games he started to think he was 'the new Mourinho' and started a fight against Sporting board/President.

There's no Sporting fan that thinks he's a good manager.

He's not bad as a manager, but as a man and a professional/ commitment to the Club he's really bad.

He only think in himself and how to get more money, he doesn't care a bit with the Club he's working.

• Like 3

Silva's still a very promising manager but he's damaged his stock now, what he did at Estoril was unbelievable but in a way once the narrative sets in it's difficult to be judged rationally. After his Derby stint Pearson was viewed as a loose cannon despite being overqualified for most Championship jobs.

I just find Chelsea's transfer wish list baffling.

Edin Dzeko - Quality forward, and complete forward. Would be on big money and cost quite a bit to get him. But also champions league cup tied. However a quality player

Fernando Llorente - Another who is champions league cup tied. A tidy striker but only just signed by Spurs who will surely want to keep him as the only out and out striker back up to Kane

Andy Carroll - Effective target man, one of the best at what he does, but has a patchy injury record and coming from a rival team who will want a decent offer. Cant be relied on for long periods. But IS champions league eligible (I assume this is a plus point, hence their other targets)

Peter Crouch - Big man on the cheap. 37 years old. Totally don't understand the link

Ashley Barnes - I literally have nothing positive to say about him. As a player or person.

So if it was buying English to fill quotas, buying Dzeko and Llorente doesn't help. If its to buy English, Carroll isn't often fit, Crouch is near retirement, and Ashley Barnes is unquestionably awful.

It also begs the question.... as a backup whats wrong with Batschauyi? I don't think hes a great striker far from it but hes a capable backup and he can find an important goal or two.

11 minutes ago, Donut said:

I just find Chelsea's transfer wish list baffling.

Edin Dzeko - Quality forward, and complete forward. Would be on big money and cost quite a bit to get him. But also champions league cup tied. However a quality player

Fernando Llorente - Another who is champions league cup tied. A tidy striker but only just signed by Spurs who will surely want to keep him as the only out and out striker back up to Kane

Andy Carroll - Effective target man, one of the best at what he does, but has a patchy injury record and coming from a rival team who will want a decent offer. Cant be relied on for long periods. But IS champions league eligible (I assume this is a plus point, hence their other targets)

Peter Crouch - Big man on the cheap. 37 years old. Totally don't understand the link

Ashley Barnes - I literally have nothing positive to say about him. As a player or person.

So if it was buying English to fill quotas, buying Dzeko and Llorente doesn't help. If its to buy English, Carroll isn't often fit, Crouch is near retirement, and Ashley Barnes is unquestionably awful.

It also begs the question.... as a backup whats wrong with Batschauyi? I don't think hes a great striker far from it but hes a capable backup and he can find an important goal or two.

If he wasn’t injured I'm sure they would be interested in charlie austin. 

14 minutes ago, Papasmurf said:

Glen Murray next.

7 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Or Jon Parkin..

This kind of illustrates my point.

How can the likes of Peter Crouch and Ashley Barnes be on the same shortlist, and therefore viewed as roughly equal ability, with Edin Dzeko, who is neither English, nor champions league eligible?

Not sure if there are recall options in his deal but surely Tammy Abraham is a better bet as a home grown target man type striker than bloody Crouch or Ashley Barnes.

He's nowhere near the finished article but he's a rough diamond and one you'd think they'd like to polish themselves rather than going for over the hill journeymen.

Edited by Miquel The Work Geordie