Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ashley

Banning 'The Sun'?

Ban The Sun?  

263 members have voted

1. 1. Ban The Sun?

• Yes
    • No

Banning stuff which you disagree with has stifled free speech at our universities and polarised our political discourse. It led to "snowflakes" and "safe spaces" and "no platforming" and a lot of the other stuff that makes modern life crap.

If you dislike opinions, don't buy them, turn them off, avert your attention or go somewhere else and propose different opinions.

I can't imagine the Sun ever sold that many copies on Merseyside before the ban, so "the market" was doing a good job of treating their "journalism" with the contempt it deserved.

9 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

This has got to be the daftest thread for a while hasn't it. It's not even pre season and we've already got drips posting threads like this. 

How is it daft? There has been a call for all professional clubs to ban the sun from grounds and Training grounds? It's up to people what they read or do I get that, it was a general question for people on here.. The only drip around here is you with a response like that :)

19 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Banning stuff which you disagree with has stifled free speech at our universities and polarised our political discourse. It led to "snowflakes" and "safe spaces" and "no platforming" and a lot of the other stuff that makes modern life crap.

If you dislike opinions, don't buy them, turn them off, avert your attention or go somewhere else and propose different opinions.

I can't imagine the Sun ever sold that many copies on Merseyside before the ban, so "the market" was doing a good job of treating their "journalism" with the contempt it deserved.

As I said in my previous post, Liverpool FC haven't closed the newspaper down, they've chosen not to engage with their journalists or sell copies of it. I might not agree with that but it's hardly stifling free speech. If Liverpool fans are desparate to read it they still can. Your points are all true, but I see this particular situation as sightly different to simply banning someone for having a different opinion.

I don't like the paper at all and understand why it's boycotted in Liverpool.

But banning it is a bit draconian. Kelvin Mackenzie is just one bloke, albeit one synonymous with that rag. I doubt it'll be long before he strolls into the sunset with a pocket full of 50s.

I'm always a bit sceptical when it comes to the whole banning the media and no platform thing, though. Freedom of speech is a powerful thing even if it does give licence to tossers, reprobates and others we don't agree with.

4 hours ago, Kitchandro said:

I don't like The Sun anymore than the next person. It's a disgrace.

But we're not Scousers. Let's not be petty and embarrassing like them. We've not even got a good reason to take it personally.

Nothing petty about it  96 people died and the sun printed bollox about it. Blamed the fans when it was always then c0ck running the operation.

6 hours ago, Ted Maul said:

I always take the free copy and stick it straight in the bin walking out of the petrol station.

Absolute rag.

Youd be better off leaving it where it is... evereytime you take one, it ads to their "circulation/readership" count.

The problem lies with Murdoch and the scum that run News Ltd/Sky. They set an expectation that their "journalists" blindly follow. Stop buying the Sun or Sky and that will stop them.

58 minutes ago, Royston. said:

the sun is my newspaper of choice so is it alright if i continue to buy it but just keep it at home?

Of course, I wasn't on about people like yourself IF you want to read what they put do it. I wanted to know people thoughts on Leicester City banning it.. :)

Guest Cujek
9 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I can't believe people still buy newspapers in today's age.

Can't see the point in banning the Sun outside of Merseyside really..

They give me free tickets to places, only time it's bought, never read it though.

i like the sun.

i like Kelvin MacKenzie hes a breatheof fresh air i like £9.50 holidays to scarborough. I like Page 3 cos it's saucy and offens feminines an muslims and I dont like thinking bout politics so i like it when the sun brakes it all down an tells me which one I should vote 4 bannin it wud be DISCUSSTIN. 

10 hours ago, MattP said:

I can't stand the paper, it's shit.

If we did ban it I'd start buying it out of principle just to piss off this small vocal group of fascists who run around these days thinking they can silence or ban anything they don't like.

I love a dig at Liverpool as much as the next person but I don't think their stance on the sun constitutes fascism, nor Everton's.

They're not denying the Sun's right to free speech, they're just denying them access to their football club which is a privilege not a right. They don't have a gagging order, they don't stop the Sun writing about them, they just don't invite them to their private property to get stories and quotes off them because - frankly - the Sun abused the privilege by just making shit up.

You invite me round your house and I trash the joint then tell everyone it was a dump, you don't invite me back. That doesn't make you a fascist, it's your house.

Ashley isn't saying the government should ban the publication, he's just asking if our club should take the same stance as the Merseyside clubs.

Personally I don't believe we should, the fact that the Merseyside lot seem more upset about what they've claimed is "racism" against the people of Liverpool than a potential racist slur against a mixed race footballer speaks volumes tbh.

6 hours ago, treer said:

isnt the sun a murdoch owned company?, the same as sky?

so if banning the sun how would we stand the sky cameras at Kp?

And you don't see LFC sending their television money back and refusing the cameras do you, the massive ****ing hypocrites.

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

And you don't see LFC sending their television money back and refusing the cameras do you, the massive ****ing hypocrites.

They can't refuse the cameras as it's a PL contract, the money maybe?

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

I love a dig at Liverpool as much as the next person but I don't think their stance on the sun constitutes fascism, nor Everton's.

They're not denying the Sun's right to free speech, they're just denying them access to their football club which is a privilege not a right. They don't have a gagging order, they don't stop the Sun writing about them, they just don't invite them to their private property to get stories and quotes off them because - frankly - the Sun abused the privilege by just making shit up.

You invite me round your house and I trash the joint then tell everyone it was a dump, you don't invite me back. That doesn't make you a fascist, it's your house.

Ashley isn't saying the government should ban the publication, he's just asking if our club should take the same stance as the Merseyside clubs.

Personally I don't believe we should, the fact that the Merseyside lot seem more upset about what they've claimed is "racism" against the people of Liverpool than a potential racist slur against a mixed race footballer speaks volumes tbh.

Finally someone who gets my original post, why has it taken so long?

I'm all for freedom of speech and freedom of the press - however stories and 'news' published should be newsworthy in terms of being in some kind of national interest and print should have integrity - shouldn't mislead, shouldn't distort facts to fit a bias position which may cause harm - And that goes for all print it should be able to hold up to some kind of standard or scrutiny.

If a paper writes headlines that are a load of rubbish with unsubstantiated rhetoric they should be called to account. 

Integrity and accountability is what I'd like to see - for all publications.

Archived