Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Who do you want Summer 2017

5 hours ago, foxes21 said:

Imo Mahrez was at his very best when he had de Laet behind him. De Laet's runs down the channel allowed Mahrez space to cut inside, because the fullback would have to follow De Laet.

A hybrid between De Laet/Simpson would be ideal.

Simpson was behind mahrez when we won the premier league and mahrez was pfa player of the year. 

35 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Dunno. 

More importantly, how will the forum survive if they do this ? 

Africa Cup of Nations: Caf considers summer move

Confederation of African Football president Ahmad
Caf president Ahmad Ahmad opens the two-day symposium on the future of the continental game

The Africa Cup of Nations could be moved to the summer as part of changes being discussed by the continent's ruling body.

The Nations Cup's timing in January and February has long angered clubs in Europe, where many Africans play.

The biennial finals could also be boosted from 16 teams to 24.

"That is the first thing to talk about - we can't get away from it," said Confederation of African Football (Caf) president Ahmad Ahmad.

We are here for a historic chapter and to effect great changes. These are decisions that will determine the future of our game

Caf president Ahmad

"We have already had a lot of suggestions," he added in his opening address at a two-day symposium on the continental game's future in Morocco.

An unprecedented number of players turned down call-ups for this year's tournament in Gabon to stay with their clubs.

This included seven Cameroonians who refused to turn out for the team that eventually won the title. 

Every two years, a club-versus-country row breaks out as European clubs complain about losing players during a crucial stage of the season to the Nations Cup.

Compounding the clubs' concerns is the fact that their players often come back fatigued from Africa's flagship sporting event.

For this year's tournament, 12 English Premier League clubs were impacted as more than 20 players left their teams mid-season.

Leicester, Stoke City and Sunderland were the worst affected as they lost three players apiece for a competition which ran from 14 January to 5 February.

Under previous president Issa Hayatou, Caf argued that the weather in many parts of Africa meant the tournament had to be staged at the start of the year.

Hayatou consistently rejected suggestions of a move to June, saying the weather then was too hot in northern Africa, too wet in the west and centre and too cold in the south.

Many believed his view was as much about climatic conditions as not bowing to pressure from Europe because African national teams and clubs play regularly during June without adverse effects.

A move to a tournament in June and July is also set to be discussed in the Moroccan capital Rabat - as is the less likely possibility of staging the final every four, rather than two, years.

Ahmad also wants to review rules on hosting the finals, which are proving increasingly prohibitive and reducing the number of potential candidates.

He has already suggested that co-hosting would allow Caf to consider proposals to increase the number of teams at the finals to 24.

Cameroon won the 2017 Nations Cup despite missing players who stayed away because of the event's timing

Africa's leading club competitions - the Caf Champions League and the Confederation Cup - will also be scrutinised.

There is the potential for a radical date change for the competitions, which traditionally run from early in the calendar year through to the respective finals in November.

"Africa has its particularities, like the great distances our clubs have to travel," added Ahmad, who goes by only one name.

"Clubs having to travel via Europe to play games is folly. We need solutions."

Workshops at symposium

1- Africa Cup of Nations

2- Interclub Competition

3- Football Development

4- Youth Football

5- International partnerships

6- Communication and Media

7- Marketing and TV

8- Players: role and perspectives

Ahmad promised a blanket review of the African game when he successfully stood for the Caf presidency in March.

"Never before has something like this been organised in Africa," he told the assembled 200 delegates prior to the start of a series of workshops.

"We are here for a historic chapter and to effect great changes. These are decisions that will determine the future of our game.

"My ambition is to effect profound transformation of Caf and I'm personally determined to see it through with all the members," Ahmad said in his opening address.

In addition to the FA presidents, secretary generals and coaches of each African nation, a host of former stars have also been invited to give their views - as per Ahmad's election manifesto.

The invited include Jay-Jay Okocha of Nigeria, Cameroonians Samuel Eto'o, Geremi and Joseph-Antoine Bell, Hossam Hassan of Egypt, Rabah Madjer of Algeria and Morocco's Badou Zaki.

Leading national coaches, DR Congo's Florent Ibenge, Herve Renard of Morocco and African veteran Claude LeRoy, the Frenchman who currently leads Togo, have also been asked.

"I feel this could be a crucial day for African football," said Fifa president Gianni Infantino, who is also in attendance.

"All the stakeholders interested in this beautiful game have to work to develop African football and bring it to where it belongs, at the top of world football."

For more ideas, information and inspiration, visit bbc.co.uk/getinspired

That means we'll have to rethink our panics....I dread to think how we'll cope with the pre season loss of our African players.

16 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I don't wish to sound exasperated but why all the love for Sneidjer? He's about 110 and has just been released by Galatasaray? They've released him...they don't want to keep him anymore...and it's Galatasaray.

Brilliant player though he was, what makes people think he's going to leave Turkey to come and hit the ground running in the Prem? Have we not learnt our lesson with Inler?

Unless he's still fit as a fiddle  (which he might be) I'd go nowhere near a player who has just been released...in Turkey.

Personally I have a hunch that in the right scenario he could be become a Van Der Vaart / Cambiasso type signing - one of those older players that has a final sparkle at a slightly lower level in the twilight of their career. I also feel Leicester might actually prove to be a good fit for him. 

17 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I just don't think we can take the chance? The transfer fee probably wouldn't be the issue. It would be the wages. 

Say we signed him for 12 mill, with a contract of 75-100 k per week (ballpark) over three years, just imagine how much we'd lose out when he went and bust a leg in week 6. 

This can happen to any player BUT it's a known risk factor with with Wilshere.

Which makes it a big financial risk.

Now if we were perhaps considering a loan..... I'm more easy with that.

But is the injury record down to Wilshere or arsenil. Every season they seem to have a crisis. Not saying we should buy him but that as a club something seems wrong at arsenil.

13 hours ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

Let's go out and spend the money on Sakho. 

Yeah I'm having a bit of that. Long term sorted with him and Maguire and also a great option to have him, Morgan/Huth and Maguire in a back 3. I think Liverpool will take £15 million for him which he's well worth. He was sensational for Palace.

18 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I don't wish to sound exasperated but why all the love for Sneidjer? He's about 110 and has just been released by Galatasaray? They've released him...they don't want to keep him anymore...and it's Galatasaray.

Brilliant player though he was, what makes people think he's going to leave Turkey to come and hit the ground running in the Prem? Have we not learnt our lesson with Inler?

Unless he's still fit as a fiddle  (which he might be) I'd go nowhere near a player who has just been released...in Turkey.

Cambiasso..

41 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Yeah I'm having a bit of that. Long term sorted with him and Maguire and also a great option to have him, Morgan/Huth and Maguire in a back 3. I think Liverpool will take £15 million for him which he's well worth. He was sensational for Palace.

whats wrong with Sakho.. why are liverpool so anti sakho? not seen enough of him but why dont they rate him?

5 minutes ago, wasthedestroyer said:

Moussa Sissoko from spurs anyone?

Personally he wouldnt make my selection but thoughts?

no thanks, has a right attitude on him and isnt worth over £10mil and Spurs will be looking to get near the £30mil they paid for him

We really must buy another creative/wide midfielder - if we end up having to sell Mahrez on deadline day then we'll be up the creek without a paddle. I keep mentioning Boudebouz simply on his stats vs. price - and also my brains stopped working so i can't think of anyone else right now. There's surely someone out there in the German league (for one example, perhaps Holland as well?) who could come across for a decent price?

Never seen him in real life but i've always relyed on Kostas Fortunious (spelling probably wrong) from Olympiakos on FM for a bit of creativity for cheap - never lets me down lol

5 minutes ago, TAFKA Castroneves said:

We really must buy another creative/wide midfielder - if we end up having to sell Mahrez on deadline day then we'll be up the creek without a paddle. I keep mentioning Boudebouz simply on his stats vs. price - and also my brains stopped working so i can't think of anyone else right now. There's surely someone out there in the German league (for one example, perhaps Holland as well?) who could come across for a decent price?

Never seen him in real life but i've always relyed on Kostas Fortunious (spelling probably wrong) from Olympiakos on FM for a bit of creativity for cheap - never lets me down lol

We're a load of worker ants, who offer little but harrying the opposition and hoof that Vardy can run on to

Much like Goldilocks' porridge, it HAS to be a perfect hoof else the defender will head it clear &/or keeper will come & catch it

Our dearth of creativity, ability to hold on to a ball & just basic passing ability without Mahrez is near zero. Very depressing. Although Maguire was a bright spot on this front, he brought the ball down & looked for a blue shirt rather than a hoof every time

I'm not suggesting we should suddenly become Ajax of the 70s but bona-fide 'difference makers' don't grow on trees

34 minutes ago, cc_star said:

We're a load of worker ants, who offer little but harrying the opposition and hoof that Vardy can run on to

Much like Goldilocks' porridge, it HAS to be a perfect hoof else the defender will head it clear &/or keeper will come & catch it

Our dearth of creativity, ability to hold on to a ball & just basic passing ability without Mahrez is near zero. Very depressing. Although Maguire was a bright spot on this front, he brought the ball down & looked for a blue shirt rather than a hoof every time

I'm not suggesting we should suddenly become Ajax of the 70s but bona-fide 'difference makers' don't grow on trees

This is all very true, it's all about balance - and ours will no doubt be 90% workers, 10% flair lol - and thus i'm not against us having more worker ants than creative options because that's the way for us to achieve success, worked before and all that - but it's very apparent though that if Mahrez isn't playing well (last season) or leaves (this season) we're probably bang on mid-table without having anyone else to fill that position.

Indeed though like you said these sort of players are hard to find - and there's no rumours so far of anyone coming in who's going to be like this, would just be nice to know we're at least looking into it - it could also help Riyad to have someone on his back for his place, he'll have to perform then. Claudio dropping him for that Norwich? game in the title winning season meant he upped his game and was crucial over the final run-in.

Wouldn't mind Shakespeare going the Pearson route and signing a couple of United's youth products that aren't going to get game time. Any of these 3 would be decent additions imo:

Tuanzebe - CB

Fosu-Mensah - CB

Demetri Mitchell - LW/LWB

I think that as we are looking for a creative No 10 and look a million miles away from getting the Swansea lad, Wilshere looks a steal at 9 million. He looks all the world more a ten than the defensive quarter back midfielder that the clowns with England thought he could be.

We should certainly be bidding with the likes of Watford, Bournmouth etc. I think he would suit the club and give us the creativity we lacked once Riyad went off yesterday.

On 7/19/2017 at 01:08, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Personally I have a hunch that in the right scenario he could be become a Van Der Vaart / Cambiasso type signing - one of those older players that has a final sparkle at a slightly lower level in the twilight of their career. I also feel Leicester might actually prove to be a good fit for him. 

I totally agree, a signing of Schneider would be on the scale of Cambiasso proportions.  We talk about dead ball situations and the strength Gylfi would bring.  This guy would be amazing as well.  4321 with him at 10 would be amazing.  He could even sit back and play 6 as well if Drinky was out.  Even if we just used him as impact sub I'd take a free transfer for his set pieces.  Ah well, I'll get back to dreaming about a spectacular, creative player who wants a chance to play in the Prem.  Might happen again... 

4 hours ago, HoustonFox said:

I totally agree, a signing of Schneider would be on the scale of Cambiasso proportions.  We talk about dead ball situations and the strength Gylfi would bring.  This guy would be amazing as well.  4321 with him at 10 would be amazing.  He could even sit back and play 6 as well if Drinky was out.  Even if we just used him as impact sub I'd take a free transfer for his set pieces.  Ah well, I'll get back to dreaming about a spectacular, creative player who wants a chance to play in the Prem.  Might happen again... 

Any idea why Galatasaray released him? Read up on it.

:thumbup:

Archived