Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Gylfi Sigurdsson

39 minutes ago, iKIDSTER said:

Lol, you gotta be kidding. Starting from poor stats: he's not a great dribbler, shoots a lot of out box - https://www.whoscored.com/Players/69346/History/Gylfi-Sigurdsson

If we  jump to expected goals stats -  https://understat.com/player/714, we will see that his open play stats are poor 0.13 xG + 0.08 xA per 90 min. Yeah, he plays for Swansea and it's not a good team, but still. So basically lots of his stats come from set pieces, corners, freekicks and penalties. Without it he's not that great and definitely doesn't cost 50M

19 minutes ago, Great Boos Up said:

So he shoots a lot from outside the box and his best stats are from set pieces, corners, freekicks and penalties and I see that he covered more ground than everyone apart from N'Golo. £60 million !

Set pieces are the weakest part of our game IMO.  No one can seemingly deliver good corners and we aren't much better at free kicks. We now have some weapons that can get on the end of decent deliveries, such as Maguire, Slim, Morgan, Ndidi (even Jamo) - so adding this to our armoury would be very good.  Not sure he's worth GBP 50M but we do need to strengthen in that area.  

1 hour ago, ZeGuy said:

But he ain't one. Good yes, great? No way in hell. Let Everton overpay for this one.

I'm in this camp. He's a fabulous player and I'd love to see him at the KP. But the price Swansea want for him is extortionate and he is not worth it. Sometimes you need to know when to walk away and this deal is one to walk away from and get someone else instead. 

And FWIW, I have nothing against Swansea. They are doing the correct thing and playing hardball, as we should do for Mahrez. I also have nothing against our board or Rudkin on this one. We made a 40M+ offer which is super exciting as a fan to see, but as they say, discretion is the better part of valor.

14 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

Undoubtedly, but they ain't PWOVEN PWEMIER LEAGUE mate. 

Quality is still quality no matter where you find it. I'll guarantee that there's a player out there that would take the league by storm. It's just the nature of football.

The Scouts just need to be told to go out and find him. price wise I'd start in South America, Then Spain and Holland.

I think LP found Courtino in Brazil Arsenal found Fabragas in Barca's Development squad. and Holland has a tradition of producing very good midfielders.

I wouldn't spend 50 million on Gylfi.

Still think he would be the perfect fit for us. We need a number 10, we need some on set pieces as we are woeful on both, corners and free kicks!

Is he worth 50 million, is Mendy, Walker or Mahrez, no!

Would it bother me if we paid 50m on him no, as I have faith in the owners and the manager.

They aren't billionaires by chance! 

This is the issue. Last couple of seasons gylfi is the sole reason they didn't go down. If they sell him, they are bang in trouble as they don't have any quality elsewhere of note. For how much money staying up is worth these days they can't afford to ship him out at any price really because it would likely mean relegation for them. 

23 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Still think he would be the perfect fit for us. We need a number 10, we need some on set pieces as we are woeful on both, corners and free kicks!

Is he worth 50 million, is Mendy, Walker or Mahrez, no!

Would it bother me if we paid 50m on him no, as I have faith in the owners and the manager.

They aren't billionaires by chance! 

Iheanacho????????????????

Of course it wouldn't bother you if we spent £50m, you'd probably be happy enough to spend £100m on him as it isn't your money.

Once a club like ours loses the concept of value then we'll suffer for it somewhere not too far down the line.

33 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

Quality is still quality no matter where you find it. I'll guarantee that there's a player out there that would take the league by storm. It's just the nature of football.

The Scouts just need to be told to go out and find him. price wise I'd start in South America, Then Spain and Holland.

I think LP found Courtino in Brazil Arsenal found Fabragas in Barca's Development squad. and Holland has a tradition of producing very good midfielders.

I wouldn't spend 50 million on Gylfi.

Of course their is, the issue is risk. Overpaying for someone proven in the league is seen as a better option to spending good money on someone unproven. Look at last summer, we went for the cheaper options after being priced out in this country and it was a disaster.

We will still take that risk now and again, but we're trying to balance the squad out as it's filled with  "failed" risks currently.

26 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Of course their is, the issue is risk. Overpaying for someone proven in the league is seen as a better option to spending good money on someone unproven. Look at last summer, we went for the cheaper options after being priced out in this country and it was a disaster.

We will still take that risk now and again, but we're trying to balance the squad out as it's filled with  "failed" risks currently.

Could the expenditure of Siggy provide value to those so called failures? Could the ability to put the ball on or near Slim's head be invaluable in the goals on offer? Justifying both costs when we're unable to get the breaks for Vardy?

1 hour ago, HoustonFox said:

How about Ziyech or Boudebouz?  Would be a bargain and are way more effective (on FIFA) :ph34r:

Can't believe we're not linked with either of these players as we would get the two of them for less than Swansea are asking for Siggurdson. They are both quality players who would provide the creativity and assists that we are desperately lacking. All this bollox about them playing in inferior leagues is crap, they certainly wouldn't be be playing against world class fullbacks every week in the premier league. Watch some you tube videos of both players and tell me I'm wrong. Would post some myself but I'm an old fart and can't work out how to do it.

There is always a element of risk with any signing but it's a question of knowing what your doing.. As for last year it's hard to know what was going on or who was doing the choosing. We definitely need to move 4 or 5 out. But i still know that we could get someone in to do a very good job for us in the 10 role regardless of where they come from.

i just have real difficulty figuring out what the thinking is at the Club. Where do they think the creativity is going to come from. 

55 minutes ago, sphericalfox said:

Could the expenditure of Siggy provide value to those so called failures? Could the ability to put the ball on or near Slim's head be invaluable in the goals on offer? Justifying both costs when we're unable to get the breaks for Vardy?

Yes. We just bid 40million. We should have bid higher in the last window, and the one before that, and the one before that, and....

Walsh wanted him here and still wants him at Everton

The big boys spend this on defenders and 80million on midfielders. We're not in that bracket but I think they spend the money on improving with proven players. It's not their true worth, it's just what clubs are willing to pay. This is just in reach and he would improve our first 11.

I bet if you add up all the Gylfi thread pages over the years he'd be the top gun for us.

It's a pipe dream, but so is all of the transfer talk forum until it's fact and this is my dream.

47 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

There is always a element of risk with any signing but it's a question of knowing what your doing.. As for last year it's hard to know what was going on or who was doing the choosing. We definitely need to move 4 or 5 out. But i still know that we could get someone in to do a very good job for us in the 10 role regardless of where they come from.

i just have real difficulty figuring out what the thinking is at the Club. Where do they think the creativity is going to come from. 

Of course there is always risk. But what if we don't know what we're doing, what if we spend another £30m on someone from abroad and they can't adapt to the league. Or maybe the ones we think can do the job aren't available.

We won the league with the same group and have added slim, Musa and probably iheanacho. They probably see that as enough. 

Spending £50m doesnt mean he will fit in with OUR club.. Yes its a lesser risk as he IS a proven Prmiership player, but its still no guarantee and if we pay that sort of money what return will we get in 4 yrs due to his age? 

However saying that he does gel with Swansea and thus makes him worth £50m to them. Any player they get to replace him will be a risk as he may not fit in with their style.and tbh i hold my hat up to them for sticking to their marks! Lets hope we can do the same with Mahrez. 

You have got to hand it to Swansea, they are playing a blinder here.. Everton will end up paying 50m.. I hope Rudders is taking note.

Well done Swansea!

Well someone certainly didn't know what they were doing last year with the signings we made. This is exactly why I've said many times that a good Scout is priceless.

There's always someone available who can do the job. Nasri, for instance, would have the ability but he's a BLX and I wouldn't sign him. Ramirez is another although again I've heard he's Mardy. But the fact is there are players who will fill the creative role we so badly need. we just need to get one in.

Archived