Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Championship 2017/18

No. It's always gonna be a tough league. Doesn't stop me being slightly excited about our attacking prospects though. Unfortunately we'll likely take some time to gel with loads of new players and manager. Plus we have a tough start to our fixture list too.

2 minutes ago, The Bear said:

No. It's always gonna be a tough league. Doesn't stop me being slightly excited about our attacking prospects though. Unfortunately we'll likely take some time to gel with loads of new players and manager. Plus we have a tough start to our fixture list too.

Sounds a bit like a handy excuse - besides, there are no easy fixtures in the Championship any longer - or at least less and less with each new season passing. It's a 46 to 49-game long chore. A marathon, not a sprint.

Middlesbrough H
Derby A
Hull A

First three games. Could definitely be easier! It wouldn't surprise me to only have 1 point after those, and everyone be full of Shadenfreude because we've spent a lot. If we do have a poor start we'll definitely improve through the season. A bit like Reading last year.

Another Portugeezer coming in at Wolves. 20yrs old Diogo Jota this time on loan for the season. Atletico Madrid and Porto player (not the Brentford Jota). Very highly rated.

Done. Season long loan with option to buy. Which I imagine will be £10m+

He scored against Leicester in the Champions League last season in the 5-0 Porto game. Even better than Neves according to Portugese fans.

If I were a Wolves fan, I'd be both excited but potentially concerned over the long-term future of the club - with these rather big names coming in there.

They've now got players that quite a few Premier League clubs would be interested in having a look at so they're quite lucky.

However, if they don't give it a good go for the play-offs, at least, and finish outside it - then you do have to wonder whether the owner has the patience to stick with the same manager (who's highly-rated) to try again the season after.

So, it just feels like a big gamble in trying to get the club back up as quickly as possible - at the expense of finances of well-known players that could find it hard to adjust in this league.

12 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

If I were a Wolves fan, I'd be both excited but potentially concerned over the long-term future of the club - with these rather big names coming in there.

They've now got players that quite a few Premier League clubs would be interested in having a look at so they're quite lucky.

However, if they don't give it a good go for the play-offs, at least, and finish outside it - then you do have to wonder whether the owner has the patience to stick with the same manager (who's highly-rated) to try again the season after.

So, it just feels like a big gamble in trying to get the club back up as quickly as possible - at the expense of finances of well-known players that could find it hard to adjust in this league.

This is all pocket change to their owners mate, they're ridiculously well off

Absolutely. In this country, only the Man City sheikhs are richer than our Chinese owners. The main guy is worth 8 billion alone.

It's exciting times, but the fans are going to have to show some patience as well. Lots of new players, new manager, new system (3-4-3 which I'm not convinced about). Nuno is apparently very demanding on positioning and shape and the players could take a while to fully get to grips with it all.

22 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Yeah they could be, Mendes' influence is massive in all this.

He's got their ears no doubt but I still think in a World Cup year with 2 similar offers on the table they'd plump for playing at Old Trafford and Emirates over mucking in at the Pirelli on a Tuesday night.

5 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

He's got their ears no doubt but I still think in a World Cup year with 2 similar offers on the table they'd plump for playing at Old Trafford and Emirates over mucking in at the Pirelli on a Tuesday night.

Not sure about the Portuguese lads, but I much prefer the Pirelli to the Emirates :thumbup:

19 minutes ago, baker11 said:

Yeah me too, can't see why they resigned from a football point of view.

I don't either. From a relationship point of view all fans I know are pleased to have him back but I'm pretty sure the best he got for them at that level before was about 10.

13 hours ago, ealingfox said:

From Neves himself:

I'm still very young and I need to continue to evolve. I needed to play more so I accepted Wolves' offer with my eyes closed.  I love Porto, but I need to develop. I was stalling. To blame? Danilo, but he's the Liga's best #6 & Porto's best player.  I know I've to give my best to Wolves, but I'll get more opportunities in the future and people will see all that I can give.  I spoke with Nuno before accepting Wolves' offer as I already knew him from last season. I liked this project & his words.  I want to realize my goals and one of them is to be champion with Porto. I will certainly be back to achieve that one day.

Which is all fair enough. 

Fulham did have a great 16/17 season and I expect them to continue with their fine form they showed towards last spring.

Villa could finally get their act together.

Brentford to go up? Can't see that happening, the club is already pushing above its weight in the Championship and they lost a very important player in Hogan. Squad has seen a lot of chopping and changing and all these new arrivals need to settle in first.

I expect them to finish in the Top 10, though.

The Wednesday still my favourite to go up. Leeds won't be a pushover, either.