Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The whole world smiles

Riyad Mahrez - The great Artist

I didn’t think he was poor yesterday at all. A sublime through ball in the second half for (I think ) Vardy who was marginally offside. 

Pep clearly told told them to not give him any time on the ball. Swarms of Man City players around him each time he got the ball. 

• Like 1

Didn't stand out as being any worse than any of our other attackers – and that isn't a pop at any of them, did their best against a very organised and quality Man City side. One moment where he drifted in first half and could've gotten a shot off but just took a couple of extra touches was frustrating, mind.

Edited by Miquel The Work Geordie

On days like yesterday when 2/3 players are on him straight away he’s gotta learn to play the first touch pass, as we all know he can do.

It doesn’t always have to be the perfect through ball, just need to keep it simple at times and retain possession.

He didn’t have his best game but few did against a team that is far and away the best in the country (maybe even Europe)

Their movement off the ball is right up there with Barcelona at their best and it’s what all possession based teams should aspire to.

That being said Kompany should of walked and the ref bottled it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, truebluethroughandthrough said:

On days like yesterday when 2/3 players are on him straight away he’s gotta learn to play the first touch pass, as we all know he can do.

It doesn’t always have to be the perfect through ball, just need to keep it simple at times and retain possession.

He didn’t have his best game but few did against a team that is far and away the best in the country (maybe even Europe)

Their movement off the ball is right up there with Barcelona at their best and it’s what all possession based teams should aspire to.

That being said Kompany should of walked and the ref bottled it.

He is taking 2/3 players away from others giving them space,they need to learn to exploit that space and Mahrez needs to make that pass before being swamped.If he can make that pass to others in space it is as good as him going past his man/men..

• Like 3

Messi apparently objected to the idea of Mahrez going to Barcelona.., but is now linked with Man City..

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/661117/Lionel-Messi-Leicester-Riyad-Mahrez-Barcelona-news-gossip

The article also mentions that he's keen to leave - but that doesn't strike much surprise to me, as thought he tried to force a move away during the last transfer window anyway.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

16 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Messi apparently objected to the idea of Mahrez going to Barcelona.., but is now linked with Man City..

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/661117/Lionel-Messi-Leicester-Riyad-Mahrez-Barcelona-news-gossip

The article also mentions that he's keen to leave - but that doesn't strike much surprise to me, as thought he tried to force a move away during the last transfer window anyway.

That's highly unlikely to say the least. There is just no way Messi would feel threatened by Mahrez or Barca would change their style of play to accommodate the latter. Barca is built around Messi and there are leagues between the two. Not even Neymar could shift the balance, so Mahrez? I love the bloke but come on, that's absolutely ridiculous.

Edited by ZeGuy
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Lionheart10 said:

He is taking 2/3 players away from others giving them space,they need to learn to exploit that space and Mahrez needs to make that pass before being swamped.If he can make that pass to others in space it is as good as him going past his man/men..

Our midfield isn't good at finding space for him to pass to on the inside though, so he usually ends up either having to run at their defence and do it all himself, (which is where getting marked by 3 players stops him dead), try and squirt a pass through to Vardy, if even possible, or passing it back to Simpson...  Getting the MF free on the inside as a possible outlet for the wingers is currently a big difference between our team and better teams we play against atm, IMO.

• Like 3

I must be one of the few who doesn't think Mahrez is as good as many make him out to be. He is undoubtedly a good player but how often does he breeze past two or three tackles and then get himself crowded out when there are options to get rid? How many times does he get himself into a good shooting position only to take another touch and the chance is gone? Watching him last season, and this season he seems to be making the same mistakes time and time again and ultimately losing possession.

No doubting he is a good player who was outstanding in our Premiership winning season but I feel he has been sussed out and now presents little else. With his close ball control and mazy runs he should be opening up defences, taking defenders out before making the killing pass but it just is not happening as much as it could and should.

I sometimes wonder whether it is the players' faults or something to do with training.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, oldbluefox said:

I must be one of the few who doesn't think Mahrez is as good as many make him out to be. He is undoubtedly a good player but how often does he breeze past two or three tackles and then get himself crowded out when there are options to get rid? How many times does he get himself into a good shooting position only to take another touch and the chance is gone? Watching him last season, and this season he seems to be making the same mistakes time and time again and ultimately losing possession.

No doubting he is a good player who was outstanding in our Premiership winning season but I feel he has been sussed out and now presents little else. With his close ball control and mazy runs he should be opening up defences, taking defenders out before making the killing pass but it just is not happening as much as it could and should.

I sometimes wonder whether it is the players' faults or something to do with training.

I think you would get a good understanding of Mahrez if you take a look at Netflix "Concrete Football".

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

I think you would get a good understanding of Mahrez if you take a look at Netflix "Concrete Football".

I can only comment on what I, as a layman see. I have seen too many YouTube clips to take any internet offerings too seriously. Remember Kaebi?

As I say he is a good player but I am not as impressed with him as others are. There were instances on Saturday where he had taken out two players and our midfield were in clear space. Unfortunately he continued his run by which time he was crowded out and lost the ball. As a midfielder I would have been pretty peed off with him. On one occasion he put a beautiful pass through for Vardy to run onto. Great idea but it was so heavy it ran out of play. To me these are the differentials between a good player and an exceptional one.

1 hour ago, oldbluefox said:

I can only comment on what I, as a layman see. I have seen too many YouTube clips to take any internet offerings too seriously. Remember Kaebi?

As I say he is a good player but I am not as impressed with him as others are. There were instances on Saturday where he had taken out two players and our midfield were in clear space. Unfortunately he continued his run by which time he was crowded out and lost the ball. As a midfielder I would have been pretty peed off with him. On one occasion he put a beautiful pass through for Vardy to run onto. Great idea but it was so heavy it ran out of play. To me these are the differentials between a good player and an exceptional one.

Not a YouTube clip!!

A documentary and a very good one too.

I don't have Netflix and don't particularly want it.

However, as I said, I am only commenting on what I have seen over this season and last rather than on a documentary which will obviously have been edited to show what they want to show. I have no doubts it is a very good documentary.

16 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Look... mahrez needs to get control of his agent.   The form mahrez has shown means that no barca fan or player thinks he would improve their squad...  So his agent starts to plant the man city story.  Unless this nonsense stops it will be mahrez's form that suffers.... if his agent cared about him he would leave ryhad to work with puel and sort himself out

On 11/20/2017 at 10:25, oldbluefox said:

I don't have Netflix and don't particularly want it.

However, as I said, I am only commenting on what I have seen over this season and last rather than on a documentary which will obviously have been edited to show what they want to show. I have no doubts it is a very good documentary.

This is the point. 

This is you.  

The documentary is about the game in urban areas, and about how players who developed there play differently from those who grew up playing other places. Mahrez is one of those players.

On 11/18/2017 at 02:37, Alf Bentley said:

I thought that I remembered the crazy coach's name.

Here he is as a player at the 1982 World Cup, scoring the first goal as Algeria pull off a massive shock, beating the Germans 2-1:

He's more known for this. A backheel goal versus Bayern in the European Cup final

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

Hed be better to work with puel and sort his form out

Don't think so. There is no possible comparison. It might be a bit of make or break, but Pep will get the max out of him. Just like De Bruyne, Sané etc. Plus playing with naturally gifted players who keep the ball on the floor can only suit his style.

That said I'll take this rumor with a huge bowl of salt and hope he'll stay.

Edited by ZeGuy

52 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

Don't think so. There is no possible comparison. It might be a bit of make or break, but Pep will get the max out of him. Just like De Bruyne, Sané etc. Plus playing with naturally gifted players who keep the ball on the floor can only suit his style.

That said I'll take this rumor with a huge bowl of salt and hope he'll stay.

If he's to improve with Pep it will involve a lot more hard work in training and the match compared with Leicester. I  do think that a change in manager in Puel is a positive thing for him though. Looking at the players Puel has worked with that have a lot of respect for him,  if Marhez doesn't improve then it will be down to himself,  he's got no excuses now.

3 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Surprised no-one else mentioned the three minutes that Mahrez spent speaking to Pep (who for the majority of it largely covered his mouth - which was in direct contrast to his convo with Iborra) after full time on Saturday. It was clear what was happening and poor conduct by Pep.