Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
katieakita

Europa League

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

He never plays in cup games, Europe or domestic. Didn't even play in the League Cup final.

Thought he has been quite poor than normal recently.

If the game is tied coming into the second leg, reckon he'll play then with his experience etc.

54 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Thought he has been quite poor than normal recently.

If the game is tied coming into the second leg, reckon he'll play then with his experience etc.

I doubt it. Wenger has persisted with Ospina in all cups regardless of the score or opposition. 

As someone who grew up watching the great Milan sides of the 90s, I find it sad how they have fallen from grace. Would go as far as saying they are close to becoming something similar to Ajax; a historic club but becoming less and less of a big club as the years go on.

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

As someone who grew up watching the great Milan sides of the 90s, I find it sad how they have fallen from grace. Would go as far as saying they are close to becoming something similar to Ajax; a historic club but becoming less and less of a big club as the years go on.

Aren't they pretty loaded as well? They have some excellent players in their squad too. Reminds me more of HSV who despite fantastic support and good individual players would perpetually underperform.

20 minutes ago, shen said:

Aren't they pretty loaded as well? They have some excellent players in their squad too. Reminds me more of HSV who despite fantastic support and good individual players would perpetually underperform.

Strong rumours that the owners aren't as wealthy as they're meant to be and that their spending spree in the summer was just the result of some unsustainable and impractical loans. Using what as collateral I don't know. 

The assumption being they thought they'd buy their way in to the CL and things would sort themselves out when the big bucks came in. 

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Strong rumours that the owners aren't as wealthy as they're meant to be and that their spending spree in the summer was just the result of some unsustainable and impractical loans. Using what as collateral I don't know. 

The assumption being they thought they'd buy their way in to the CL and things would sort themselves out when the big bucks came in. 

It's more than rumours. The Chinese investor is about to go court in his homeland.  'Elliott' which is the finance group providing the money holds a huge debt against Milan. Either way Milan will be fine as if the Chinese investor is charged, the club defaults to Elliott and they will potentially sell them again.  

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1

Just now, Cardiff_Fox said:

It's more than rumours. The Chinese investor is about to go court in his homeland. As the debt is so large, 'Elliott' which is the finance group providing the money holds a huge debt against Milan. Either way Milan will be fine as if the Chinese investor is charged, the club defaults to Elliott and they will potentially sell them again.  

Yeah I mean Milan are a big enough institution that someone will always invest, they're a major brand. 

2 hours ago, Nalis said:

Not sure they'll be like Ajax. Sadly Dutch football is an irrelevance now really at the top level. Only 1 Dutch team had made the CL last 16 in the last decade.

Italy has declined since the 00s but Juventus are still there or thereabouts and it wouldnt surprise me if there was an Atletico Madrid like rise of another team in the next few years.

Italian clubs though were never the smartest when it came to marketing and promotion. When Gazza signed for Lazio in the early 90s his management team couldn't believe how behind the times the country was when it came to shirt sales and merchandising. England was a step ahead when it came to promotion.

Italy is behind the rest of Europe for a couple of major reasons. 

The ultras still have a lot of power at each club and can have a major sway on investment/board decisions. 

Very few clubs owe their stadiums. Only four clubs in Serie A have this - Juventus, Atalanta, Sassuolo and Udinese. Unsurprisingly all in the richer North. 

There's no appetite to change either these things too. 

2 hours ago, Blue ROI said:

Not sure they'll be like Ajax. Sadly Dutch football is an irrelevance now really at the top level. Only 1 Dutch team had made the CL last 16 in the last decade.

Italy has declined since the 00s but Juventus are still there or thereabouts and it wouldnt surprise me if there was an Atletico Madrid like rise of another team in the next few years.

Italian clubs though were never the smartest when it came to marketing and promotion. When Gazza signed for Lazio in the early 90s his management team couldn't believe how behind the times the country was when it came to shirt sales and merchandising. England was a step ahead when it came to promotion.

Ajax reached the final of the Europa League not even a year ago...

But really, you could say most leagues' teams are an irrelevance at 'top level'. Gone are the days of Malmö, Gothenburg, Red Star, Steaua, Anderlecht, Brugge et al reaching finals.

The most recent surprise we've witnessed was that Porto-Monaco final 14 years back now.

22 hours ago, shen said:

Ajax reached the final of the Europa League not even a year ago...

But really, you could say most leagues' teams are an irrelevance at 'top level'. Gone are the days of Malmö, Gothenburg, Red Star, Steaua, Anderlecht, Brugge et al reaching finals.

The most recent surprise we've witnessed was that Porto-Monaco final 14 years back now.

They did but the Europa League is a much more competitive competition. The champions league final is still out of reach for most teams outside of the big 4.Those with the biggest populations (give or take France) can only aspire to win it.

Italy are still hanging on but have a decent record of finalists since the 90s heyday. England have only made 1 more since the new millennium in spite of greater financial strength.

The 2004 final is hard to believe looking back at it.Only final without any team from England, Germany, Italy or Spain in it in the last 20 years.