Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dayday

Harvey Barnes- Barnsley (loan)

5 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

He's not ready for the championship though the only way he will be is by going out on loan there. Not sure why everyone is talking about Thomas playing here next year as that seems highly unlikely. From watching him and speaking to cov fans, he doesn't look quite quickly enough but hopefully the better standard of training and facilities will help.

Barnes is looking great

I think a lower Championship team he is already capable of doing a job for, he's got a lot of very good attributes. He doesn't oook quick enough? Really??

Just now, Ric Flair said:

I think a lower Championship team he is already capable of doing a job for, he's got a lot of very good attributes. He doesn't oook quick enough? Really??

Difficult to tell just off highlights, but it's been my worry when I've seen him, at this level if you're playing in an attacking position you need a bit of pace as the average defender in the prem is rapid compared to the championship. He's not got a load of tricks to buy himself space and time either, so I fear he'd just be too easy to control and mark, really depends on where he's going to play though.

32 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Yep. When I've seen him he's looked a similar pace to a lot of League 1 defenders. And being so small, he doesn't have the physicality to compensate for that. Got a sound technique and very good positioning/movement but that won't save him in the PL. Would love to see him do well as he seems like a top kid and like I said, maybe that better standard of training could give him that extra yard of pace.

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

Difficult to tell just off highlights, but it's been my worry when I've seen him, at this level if you're playing in an attacking position you need a bit of pace as the average defender in the prem is rapid compared to the championship. He's not got a load of tricks to buy himself space and time either, so I fear he'd just be too easy to control and mark, really depends on where he's going to play though.

Absolutely spot on.

I've seen him half a dozen times live this year. To me he looks like a bulkier, slightly trickier version of Ward Prowse. Hard to know where his best position is too. 

Very good technically and decent strength on the ball but will never be properly quick or a direct winger. Could well make it at high Champ level if he keeps developing but would be fairly surprised if he played in the Prem consistently.

PS this isn't being critical. He's been very good and one of the 23s best players this year. 

Back on topic i'm sure Harvey Barnes will play at Premier League level week in week out 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, hornyhollthefox123 said:

Back on topic i'm sure Harvey Barnes will play at Premier League level week in week out 

I have similar concerns about Barnes to be honest, he's been playing on the wing again. I think he'd have to play in another position to play prem football.

56 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I have similar concerns about Barnes to be honest, he's been playing on the wing again. I think he'd have to play in another position to play prem football.

Both played the majority of their youth careers as attacking midfielders or strikers but Barnes has really impressed in professional football playing the Albrighton role wide left. Could he achieve what Albrighton has done without explosive pace? Well he's an exceptional finisher for a start and so far has advanced through the levels with ease. If you consider his style of play along with Mahrez and Gray behind Vardy then I could see him being comfortable in that system, especially with an attacking left back to overlap.

We potentially have the perfect manager for him to get the necessary opportunities next season to move to the next level.

14 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

He's playing every week, gaining valuable experience another level up from last year,  which this season is probably better for his development than the odd cup game and maybe a cameo from the bench. Let's not rush the lad and hopefully next year he'll be ready for the 1st team. 

Agreed. Keep him there for this year. I think we can trust Barnsley. I'd happily loan them youngsters again.

From next year maybe he gets a proper crack in our team. I think Puel may have a genuine intent to use players like him.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Koke said:

Knockaert isn't particularly quick either.

If a player's passing and technique and intelligence is good then he can get away with average pace.

True but has Knocky proven himself as a PL level player? He certainly struggled for us in the Great Escape season and from the bits that I've seen of Brighton this season he doesn't appear anywhere near as effective as he was in the Championship. That's not to say you can't be really effective without real pace in the PL (David Silva is a great example of that) but it does show how being an absolute world beater in the Championship, as Knocky was, does not guarantee success at the top level. 

1 hour ago, Koke said:

If a player's passing and technique and intelligence is good then he can get away with average pace.

I think we should be looking for Barns to develop into a better all round footballer than Knocky, as likeable as he is. 

1 hour ago, Koke said:

And Knockaert isn't having the same impact he had in the championship so far. He also has a trick up his sleeve that can buy some some time, Barnes doesn't have that trickery.

3 hours ago, Babylon said:

And Knockaert isn't having the same impact he had in the championship so far. He also has a trick up his sleeve that can buy some some time, Barnes doesn't have that trickery.

Albrighton's done alright with no tricks, no explosive pace and no real ability to consistently find the net. Barnes goal scoring abilities will give him every chance of becoming a PL player.

12 hours ago, davieG said:

You can compensate for a lack of pace in many situations by your quickness of thought, overall awareness and reading of the game.

Yep. Dennis Bergkamp wasn't quick but one of the greatest ever! 

Disclaimer: I am in no way comparing Thomas to Bergkamp ?