Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dayday

Harvey Barnes- Barnsley (loan)

5 hours ago, lcfc sheff said:

its time we moved on from our stereotype of our players all "putting a shift in" and develop technically as a team, with no disrespect to players like albrighton, theres definitely a glass ceiling for players known for just graft. Barnes, gray, mahrez, iborra, Maguire and hopefully silva can be at the forefront of the transition of style of play.

Totally. I'm tired of the overhyped attributes of "pace" and "power" and "putting a shift in". Those attributes are nice to have but on it's own it's almost useless.  Carlos Tevez and Alexis Sanchez put a proper shift in but they compliment their work rate with superb technical ability and goals/assists. Lee Cattermole also puts a shift in but that's all he does. 

I'd much rather have the likes of Barnes and Gray with their obvious flaws because they they have good touch, good passing, technical ability etc rather than a work horse who offers nothing but "putting a shift in". 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Koke said:

Totally. I'm tired of the overhyped attributes of "pace" and "power" and "putting a shift in". Those attributes are nice to have but on it's own it's almost useless.  Carlos Tevez and Alexis Sanchez put a proper shift in but they compliment their work rate with superb technical ability and goals/assists. Lee Cattermole also puts a shift in but that's all he does. 

I'd much rather have the likes of Barnes and Gray with their obvious flaws because they they have good touch, good passing, technical ability etc rather than a work horse who offers nothing but "putting a shift in". 

But how many of these players have made it in the Premier League? You can have all the technique in the world but if you don't put in the hard work you won't make it at the top. Gone are the days where a Matt Le Tissier can stroll about and stick it in the top corner.

You need both to be a success and then some, Mahrez in 15/16 was a bit of an outlier but last season and this we have seen what the premier league will do to flair players. Snuff them out. Look at the Man City side all absolute machines covering every blade of grass with the flair and skill to match.

The good thing is with the right attitude you can build up stamina and coach young skilful players into putting an effective shift in, because if they don't, despite all their talent, Gray and Barnes will not make it in England.

2 hours ago, Captain... said:

But how many of these players have made it in the Premier League? You can have all the technique in the world but if you don't put in the hard work you won't make it at the top. Gone are the days where a Matt Le Tissier can stroll about and stick it in the top corner.

You need both to be a success and then some, Mahrez in 15/16 was a bit of an outlier but last season and this we have seen what the premier league will do to flair players. Snuff them out. Look at the Man City side all absolute machines covering every blade of grass with the flair and skill to match.

The good thing is with the right attitude you can build up stamina and coach young skilful players into putting an effective shift in, because if they don't, despite all their talent, Gray and Barnes will not make it in England.

No one's claiming Barnes has flair but no stamina though. To avoid the sweat on your brow yet perform what's asked of you, all without the lauded shift, is something I suspect makes some players difficult to love, especially in a physical game where heroic gestures add emotion and intensity. It seems he's that kind of player so far, the criticism of his work rate while ignoring his goals and assists, but the premier league will be a different level again, one at which he can again hopefully succeed, and of he can do that without the shifts and grafts then I'd be over the moon.

Edited by Foxxed

5 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

No one's claiming Barnes has flair but no stamina though. To avoid the sweat on your brow yet perform what's asked of you, all without the lauded shift, is something I suspect makes some players difficult to love, especially in a physical game where heroic gestures add emotion and intensity.

I am not saying anything negative about Barnes, I have only read reports on here and seen highlights. I can't really judge him, but there are very few players that can stroll around and give them self the space and time to perform at their best. Even someone like Ozil who seems lazy actually covers more ground than Sanchez (according to something I once read) but because he is constantly moving rather than moving in bursts it isn't as noticeable. If Barnes is like that then fine, but if he is just going to hover around by the touch line and only come to life when he gets the ball then he will struggle in the premier league as he will be closed down and denied the space.

It is great he is doing well at Barnsley but if he is just coasting through games then it isn't great preparation for the premier league.

9 minutes ago, Captain... said:

I am not saying anything negative about Barnes, I have only read reports on here and seen highlights. I can't really judge him, but there are very few players that can stroll around and give them self the space and time to perform at their best. Even someone like Ozil who seems lazy actually covers more ground than Sanchez (according to something I once read) but because he is constantly moving rather than moving in bursts it isn't as noticeable. If Barnes is like that then fine, but if he is just going to hover around by the touch line and only come to life when he gets the ball then he will struggle in the premier league as he will be closed down and denied the space.

It is great he is doing well at Barnsley but if he is just coasting through games then it isn't great preparation for the premier league.

Bit like Harry Kane when he came to us on loan then.

TBF as long as he knows:

you've got to hold and give, but do it at the right time, you can be fast or slow, but you must get to the line.There going to hit you and hurt you, defend and attack, there's only one way to beat them, get around the back. Catch him if you can, he'll be the England man.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Captain... said:

But how many of these players have made it in the Premier League? You can have all theflair players technique in the world but if you don't put in the hard work you won't make it at the top. Gone are the days where a Matt Le Tissier can stroll about and stick it in the top corner.

You need both to be a success and then some, Mahrez in 15/16 was a bit of an outlier but last season and this we have seen what the premier league will do to . Snuff them out. Look at the Man City side all absolute machines covering every blade of grass with the flair and skill to match.

Suggesting Mahrez hasn't performed compared to the season we won the league due to him being a "flair player" is insulting. The man plays in a team where he has to be the main outlet of creativity, if he was in the man city team where they actually keep the ball he'd have more goals and assists, and no one would be calling him lazy, its the players surrounding him that's the problem.

The man city players aren't any fitter than ours, but having technical ability and being able to pass the ball without looking like a rabbit in the head lights means they'll often have to run less, mainly their defenders, attackers I'm sure will run more due to the amount of chances they create; however that's why once the game is 2-0 and in the 60th minute they can take off their tired players.

Players like Barnes, Iborra, Mahrez, Gray etc could lead to a transition in play to allow for us actually have more than 50% possession in a game. Football is a game that attracts mistakes, you don't need a Kante, keeping the ball can be better than winning the ball; if that makes sense.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lcfc sheff said:

Suggesting Mahrez hasn't performed compared to the season we won the league due to him being a "flair player" is insulting. The man plays in a team where he has to be the main outlet of creativity, if he was in the man city team where they actually keep the ball he'd have more goals and assists, and no one would be calling him lazy, its the players surrounding him that's the problem.

The man city players aren't any fitter than ours, but having technical ability and being able to pass the ball without looking like a rabbit in the head lights means they'll often have to run less, mainly their defenders, attackers I'm sure will run more due to the amount of chances they create; however that's why once the game is 2-0 and in the 60th minute they can take off their tired players.

Players like Barnes, Iborra, Mahrez, Gray etc could lead to a transition in play to allow for us actually have more than 50% possession in a game. Football is a game that attracts mistakes, you don't need a Kante, keeping the ball can be better than winning the ball; if that makes sense.

Re: Mahrez, that isn't what I said, I said he has been snuffed out by the opposition, nullified. He's not lazy but he does drift in and out of games. That is  in part due to how we've been playing. He would get more of the ball and more time on the ball if he worked harder to find space, or come looking for the ball, draw them in, pass (and not try and take everyone on) and then find the space he has created. Mahrez is a wonderful footballer, but he could be even better.

Switching to a passing/possession game will probably help Mahrez even less as the opposition will have more time to get back find their shape and swamp him as soon as he gets the ball.

21 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

This could be a hell of a side if everyone progresses as we hope.

Kasper

Amartey

Dragovic

Maguire

Chilwell

Ndidi

Silva

Gray

Barnes

Ndukwu

Iheanacho

Dragovic wont hang around if we dont give him a go soon. 

• Like 2

On 11/21/2017 at 06:18, Aus Fox said:

TBF as long as he knows:

you've got to hold and give, but do it at the right time, you can be fast or slow, but you must get to the line.There going to hit you and hurt you, defend and attack, there's only one way to beat them, get around the back. Catch him if you can, he'll be the England man.

Sounds like a masterplan to me!

17 hours ago, GingerrrFox said:

This could be a hell of a side if everyone progresses as we hope.

Kasper

Amartey

Dragovic

Maguire

Chilwell

Ndidi

Silva

Gray

Barnes

Ndukwu

Iheanacho

You do know Morgan will be in our defence for the next 5 - 10 years dont you?

21 hours ago, lgfualol said:

Dragovic wont hang around if we dont give him a go soon. 

which is why the manager needs to be brave enough to leave out Morgan, doesn't have to be every game and you can even use his recent injury problems and age to call it resting but its something we need to look at fairly soon

Edited by Jimmy
  • Like 1

On 21/11/2017 at 06:37, Captain... said:

I do wonder with mahrez whether we needed to bulk him up and turn him into a bruiser - like how bale went from talented kid to uber beast. Instead he gets knocked off the ball too easy when ganged up on.

On 22/11/2017 at 21:17, toddybad said:

I do wonder with mahrez whether we needed to bulk him up and turn him into a bruiser - like how bale went from talented kid to uber beast. Instead he gets knocked off the ball too easy when ganged up on.

this isn't captain America bud