Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dayday

Harvey Barnes- Barnsley (loan)

8 minutes ago, Oakwell Red said:

Evening chaps - Barnsley fan here just checking in as I'm always interested in parent clubs views of their loanees.

From my point of view Barnes is an excellent prospect, I'm delighted with him and I reckon we'll see double figures in goals and assists from him season (he set up two today with crosses that put them on a plate).

Don't read too much into him being subbed off occasionally. Because of a cock up with Swansea for a striker loan we've been left to start the season with only three strikers only one of whom  (Bradshaw) is 'recognised'. Other than him we've got a Chelsea loanee and a French lad who's never played in England before.

We're playing variants of 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 at the moment with Barnes playing and advanced role and his substitutions usually come when we're changing formation and bringing a second striker on.

If I had a criticism of him it would be that the full back behind him doesn't get the same protection as the other side but the lad is young and playing regularly at his highest standard to date and I'm confident it'll come in time.

I think you'll have a really effective player on your hands there in a couple of years.

Thanks for the update . Loaning to your club seems to work well for both parties . He would have got dogs abuse down at Millwall but shut them up in the best way possible today . Good luck for the season 

• 4 weeks later...

Also in todays game....

HITS THE WOODWORK

Sheff Wed 1-0 Barnsley

Barnsley are so, so close to grabbing an equaliser against the run of play!

Harvey Barnes drives into the box and then smashes a shot towards the near post, but it comes back off the underside of the bar and bounces away.

If Puel is keen on bringing through the youngsters he could do worse than getting Barnes back and introducing him into the first team squad... Shakey or Rudkin have a lot to answer for by overlooking young, raw talent.... 

Tom Lawrence is another example! 

• Like 4

On 10/29/2017 at 04:05, ALC Fox said:

Love him already. Can't wait to see him fight for a place in the team next season ?

Shame we cannot recall him in January. Now we have a regime that looks like it is not afraid of giving a Youth a chance, it may be better he comes back sooner.

1 hour ago, weller54 said:

If Puel is keen on bringing through the youngsters he could do worse than getting Barnes back and introducing him into the first team squad... Shakey or Rudkin have a lot to answer for by overlooking young, raw talent.... 

Tom Lawrence is another example! 

Lawrence not exactly setting the world a light at Derby

no goals in 11 ( 8 starts)

3 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

He's playing every week, gaining valuable experience another level up from last year,  which this season is probably better for his development than the odd cup game and maybe a cameo from the bench. Let's not rush the lad and hopefully next year he'll be ready for the 1st team. 

Puel may have different ideas on player development.

The thought of him, Mahrez and Gray behind Vardy is one hell of an attacking quartet. We also don't know how well Thomas could progress which would be very handy and have cost us very little, we can then move on a few strikers and bring in some serious class at full back and central midfield.

37 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I wonder if we could swap Barnes for Thomas in January? That would suit both parties ?

He's not ready for the championship though the only way he will be is by going out on loan there. Not sure why everyone is talking about Thomas playing here next year as that seems highly unlikely. From watching him and speaking to cov fans, he doesn't look quite quickly enough but hopefully the better standard of training and facilities will help.

Barnes is looking great