Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

Chelsea post match 1-2

I think we can be very disappointed with ourselves after that today. 

Without being too threatening I don't think they were that much better than us... we started okay and cause them one or two problems, they had no clear chances apart from Morgan's interception from Alonso's cross. The goal was thanks to a sensational cross, all Morata had to do was make decent contact, there was no way Wes was going to deal with that, however we shouldn't have allowed CA that much space and time to cross. 

Then came half time, and another example of Shakespeare's poor idea of substitutions..... fair enough taking off Albrighton I suspect there was an injury? However King for Slimani? You've got two strikers on the bench and you bring one of our most ineffective players on, I think that change flummoxed us slightly and we started the second half really poorly and Kante scores a really, really poor goal...which then presents a near impossible task, couldn't really see from our end but unless he's unsighted or there is a deflection Kasper should be saving that.

We were poor in the final third today, we lack any kind of finesse or calmness, everything is messy and rushed... I don't think Mahrez was that bad today, he tried but our static front line offered nothing when he got the ball. Gray was awful when he came on, did nothing to justify his moaning.... It's early days but Kalechi did little useful when he came on, he played a particularly poor ball to Mahrez which he did really well to control but was closed down far too quickly for him to get it out of his feet, but we had a great opportunity to break on Chelsea...

N'didi was better, Vardy tried but ultimately our lack of composure in the final third of the pitch was our undoing, we caused Chelsea problems by getting into space, but then did little or nothing with it when we got there. 

We've got to be careful, because our start is extremely difficult and we could very easily be playing catch up and develop a losing habit... you don't have to be playing badly to lose games, we've got to try and get some points on the board when we can otherwise we will be in trouble.... the whole club needs a long hard look in the mirror, we've made a complete and utter mess of things since winning the league, a complete and utter mess. 

I thought we played okay against a quality side, there's a building job going on with the team and you can't change everything at once. We attempted to keep possession more but need to be quicker with the passing. We lost to last years champions. If Mahrez had have made that pass to Vardy it may have been a different result. We could have been playing with Iborra and Silva today, we held our own I thought.

30 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

did u mistake gray for Mahrez

gray give the ball away once

mahrez 3 times

mahrez 8 times couldnt control the ball

Mahrez was obviously going to have higher stats because he played 90 mins and he had more of the ball in the second half too. For me Gray still didn't do enough to justify his hype. He also continually strayed into the middle,crowding that area without really showing for a pass. If he'd stayed out wide he would've had more time and space to get the ball.

*  N'didi had a good game, as did Fuchs. 

*  We should have been 1-0 up. 

*  Same effort and endeavor as ever.

*  Mahrez was very poor second half. 

*  Let us not forget that we played against the Champions!

*  I'm happy with the effort and commitment, but we sadly lacked in quality today.

1 minute ago, SheppyFox said:

If you're angry at losing narrowly to Chelsea I think it's vital you take stock, yes we won the league but everyone else was horrible and we had some fantastic luck. We are not a top side, we should not be beating Chelsea, Arsenal(could have) or Man Utd on a consistent basis. Outside of the top 6/7 were just the best of the rest, that will become ever clear in the coming weeks :) 

Unfortunately these kind of excuses are exactly what we were hearing last year until we started losing to shit teams.

We have no quality and its there for all to see.  Really hope that Iborra, Dragovic, Silva and Iheanacho prove to be what we all hope.  Otherwise it could be a really bleak season.

Just now, funkyrobot said:

Mahrez was obviously going to have higher stats because he played 90 mins and he had more of the ball in the second half too. For me Gray still didn't do enough to justify his hype. He also continually strayed into the middle,crowding that area without really showing for a pass. If he'd stayed out wide he would've had more time and space to get the ball.

I think miss controlling the ball 8 times is one of the highest bad stats of all time

also Gray contributed to the pen

Just now, justfoxes said:

I'm not slagging him off just think he could of got a few decisions different today and as for an expected loss I don't feel that way as any team we play is beatable if we have the right starting 11 formation and temperament !!

I just think we allowed Chelski far too much time on the ball show them far too much respect didn't bully them enough, that could be down to selection or whatever we were not even second best at times sloppy play weak passes etc

I for one am a Demarai Gray fan but the second half he didn't show us why Shaky should pick him over others, a few players today were a bit MIA and they need to look over this Game and see how we went wrong what we didn't do what we know we are capable of and causing damage to an opposition defence next league game v Hudders and we need to come home with all 3 points and win convincingly andbim really hoping the owners aren't trigger happy regarding shaky and give him time to get us back to form !!

We never looked like we were to win this game from the first to the last minute, tbf. A lucky draw maybe. Anyone expecting more with that team was frankly deluded. Shakey doesn't have many options in the middle at the moment. The weakness comes from there and our wingers or attackers won't thrive without a proper midfield, although Ndid had a great game. Unfortunately we must have have one of the worst luck ever when it comes to that area of the game.

Sloppy passes, lack of concentration or finish etc, are what separate an average team from a (very) good one. Chelsea were killing us in the middle and you couldn't expect more from this team. I don't think another team has crappier fixtures like we have.

Loss against Chelsea was foreseeable. Not particularly worked out as I never was hoping for a win. Bournemouth will be more revealing.

2 minutes ago, Callabinho said:

I think we can be very disappointed with ourselves after that today. 

Without being too threatening I don't think they were that much better than us... we started okay and cause them one or two problems, they had no clear chances apart from Morgan's interception from Alonso's cross. The goal was thanks to a sensational cross, all Morata had to do was make decent contact, there was no way Wes was going to deal with that, however we shouldn't have allowed CA that much space and time to cross. 

Then came half time, and another example of Shakespeare's poor idea of substitutions..... fair enough taking off Albrighton I suspect there was an injury? However King for Slimani? You've got two strikers on the bench and you bring one of our most ineffective players on, I think that change flummoxed us slightly and we started the second half really poorly and Kante scores a really, really poor goal...which then presents a near impossible task, couldn't really see from our end but unless he's unsighted or there is a deflection Kasper should be saving that.

We were poor in the final third today, we lack any kind of finesse or calmness, everything is messy and rushed... I don't think Mahrez was that bad today, he tried but our static front line offered nothing when he got the ball. Gray was awful when he came on, did nothing to justify his moaning.... It's early days but Kalechi did little useful when he came on, he played a particularly poor ball to Mahrez which he did really well to control but was closed down far too quickly for him to get it out of his feet, but we had a great opportunity to break on Chelsea...

N'didi was better, Vardy tried but ultimately our lack of composure in the final third of the pitch was our undoing, we caused Chelsea problems by getting into space, but then did little or nothing with it when we got there. 

We've got to be careful, because our start is extremely difficult and we could very easily be playing catch up and develop a losing habit... you don't have to be playing badly to lose games, we've got to try and get some points on the board when we can otherwise we will be in trouble.... the whole club needs a long hard look in the mirror, we've made a complete and utter mess of things since winning the league, a complete and utter mess. 

I think the change was to free up someone to mark Fabregas in Midfield because he was finding pockets of space between the lines!

9 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

To a degree fair enough, but to adopt negative tactics when you are already loosing? I'd rather just have a go. I believe we could have got three points today. Chelsea looked distinctly average. 

Again I point you to last season where we went nuts against Spurs and lost. It's a difficult balancing act.

1 minute ago, Johnthefoxrayner said:

Shinji should start as he will chase every thing and he makes life awkward for defender's 

No, Nacho should start, he's our second best attacking option and we should be working towards building a real quality partnership between him and Vards. 

6 minutes ago, SheppyFox said:

If you're angry at losing narrowly to Chelsea I think it's vital you take stock, yes we won the league but everyone else was horrible and we had some fantastic luck. We are not a top side, we should not be beating Chelsea, Arsenal(could have) or Man Utd on a consistent basis. Outside of the top 6/7 were just the best of the rest, that will become ever clear in the coming weeks :) 

Oh so that makes it ok throwing it (a win!) away against Arsenal, a draw against Man Utd, atleast a draw today?

I see what you're saying but I'm angry because I'm frustrated. We can't keep saying 'We played well' no matter who the opposition is. Certainly regards the Arsenal result.

Mahrez did my head in with his constant wasting of promising possession, but the bloke next to me ( a bit of a Riyad cheerleader admittedly) thought he had a great game. Can't understand why Albrighton was hooked. He was our best player first half.

James is willing but just too slow at this level. End of.

Huddersfield  now a must win.

3 minutes ago, Johnthefoxrayner said:

Shinji should start as he will chase every thing and he makes life awkward for defender's 

I'm sorry I disagree, he offers very little. He can't hold the ball up, falls over with the slightest contact. I think he's a good bench player to use if we're looking to see games out.

Not too bad, we competed well enough, we didn't get embarrassed this time around and we had half chances to nick a point.

First half yet again I thought we looked solid and compact, a big difference from last season is that our shape has looked much better. The players were competitive and they closed Chelsea down at the right times. Thought Ndidi was magnificent, got about the pitch very well, hassled Chelsea, made key interceptions and was that outlet to start attacks. Matty James I thought competed well enough too, made some decent interceptions himself. Yet again though fine margins cost us, should of scored ourselves at one end, minute later Chelsea go up the other end, we fail to close down the cross, Big Wes gets beaten in the air and its 1-0.

Second half, I thought the subs we made were bizarre. Albrighton was putting in a decent shift and it felt like he only got took off because Gray has been moaning about playing. For first 15 mins I thought we were getting battered, that penalty came as a relief and a lifeline, after that yet again we started to compete well. Towards the end was an open game, Chelsea could of easily killed off the game, we could of easily got an equaliser.

All in all we didn't disgrace ourselves today, we had our moments but Chelsea showed a bit more class when it mattered. Where we are is to be expected really, Huddersfield followed by Liverpool are very important though, four points against those two would be great.

15 minutes ago, KingGTF said:

Just not creative enough against the better sides, ultimately it was quite comfortable for Chelsea.

I understand why you'd say that. But the second half, when we brought in Iheanacho, and we played Gray, we started to look like a threat. If we can get Silva in and actually play an offensive line-up, we pose a threat to top-6 sides when attacking. 

The simple truth is that we need a CM who can create. Unfortunately, ours struggle to keep possession and complete passes to the right color jersey. NONETHELESS, we HAVE to make a concerted effort to stop starting a side that cannot keep possession and will be defending 80% of the time if we want to keep improving. It isn't just awful football to watch -- though it is, and that has an impact on prospective transfers -- but we need to take the step of playing the attacking players consistently, at the start of the game when it is 0-0, not when we are down a couple goals. The conservative crap will not help the team develop, and we need players like Iheanacho and Gray on the pitch, and NOT just for 15 minutes, 30 minutes, etc. Let them start playing games together for christ's sake. 

The question is, are we ever going to evolve? Are we ever going to see our best side out there? We only start attacking when behind. We are beholden to the memory of the 2015/2016 Leicester team, and that is NOT the sort of football we should be aspiring to with this team. I appreciate Andy King, and he's played better than I expected when pressed into service as a substitute of late, but no Leicester side with Matty James and Andy King in the middle are going to challenge 2017 Chelsea. The gap in class is just enormous. We need Silva registered, and we need Iborra healthy, ASAP. Frankly, we could've used Mendy today.

3 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

I think miss controlling the ball 8 times is one of the highest bad stats of all time

also Gray contributed to the pen

Yeh gray did contribute to the pen, initially by giving the ball away. He played a lot of ball backwards before cutting inside into a place where he wasn't likely to get the ball.  Mahrez created our two best chances from open play. He didn't have one of his best games today but his game is about taking risks. 

Archived