Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nugent

Pre Match Thread - Liverpool Home (League)

4-4-2 is the only formation we are competent in, it will be a tough ask with King and Ndidi in the middle of the pitch, but I cannot see Iborra starting as he slowly gets used to the pace of the game here.

Kasper

Simpson

Morgan

Maguire

Chilwell

Mahrez

Ndidi

King

Gray

Iheanacho

Vardy

Subs: Hamer, Dragović, Albrighton, Slimani, Okazaki, Iborra and Amartey.

2-1 City win.

Vardy and Gray with the goals.

Sturridge with their consolation.

I imagine it will be

Schmeichel

Simpson Morgan Maguire Fuchs/Chilwell

Mahrez King Ndidi Albrighton

Okazaki Vardy

Subs: Ham, Drag, Chil/Fuchs, Iborra, Iheanacho, Slim, Gray

I wouldn't be too upset with that, even though I want to see more of Iheanacho. Gray could easily come in for Albrighton as well, but wont. 

Kasper

Simpson

Morgan

Maguire

Chilwell

Mahrez

Ndidi

King

Gray

Okazaki

Vardy

Okazaki always does well versus Liverpool and was man of the match last night so he must come in. Iborra looked off the pace and would be worried if we started him so think King starts instead. Think we will see more of Iborra from the following game when the opposition are less possession intensive. Gray should start over Albrighton who wasn't at his best last night. Depends how they play, we will need to restrict Salah / Coutinho / Firminho which is no easy task. We need to fast start and get at them like we did in Shakepeare's first game in charge. Hopefully Vardy is on it and leads from the front.

31 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

Needs to be 3-5-2 as we evidently don't have a midfielder who wins the ball regularly enough.

If we continue with 4-4-2 we'll continue to get overrun.

I agree but I doubt Craig will start that formation home to Liverpool wth salah flying down one side and getting access to all that space behind the WB

4-4-2 with kelechi will not work against them. Have to play shinji in that formation as he becomes an extra player buzzing around their holding midfielders. Kelechi isn't fit enough to do that job and may well not be able to do it anyway 

Would love us to not play that awful formation, 100% confident we will and it'll probably be

Schmeichel 

Simpson

Morgan

Maguire
Fuchs

Mahrez

King

Ndidi

Albrighton

Okazaki 

Vardy

Have about 30% of the ball and lose 3-1 or 4-1 (Vardy seems to like a goal against these). Then hear how much their squad cost and we can't be expected to compete with a team of such might. It's gonna be a doozie fellas!

Chilwell and Gray have a great understanding and that Left side is crucial, I like Fuchs and he is a steady player but Chilwell is the future and the more game time he gets the better he is going to be imo.

It's not so much the formation its about pressing the opposition any coincidence that as soon as Okazaki pressed up the pitch with his dynamism we looked a completely different side? Lets go back to our strengths that saw us win the league high press, we are not a possession based side.

The midfield was totally over-run again in our rigid 4-4-2

Shakey won't change this so with that in mind, I'd go with.. 

-------------------------Kasper-------------------

Simpson------Wes-------Maguire------Fuchs

Mahrez------Iborra--------N'didi---------Gray

---------------------Iheanacho--------------------

------------------------Vardy----------------------

I think we will struggle with just 2 CM's again but hopefully Iheanacho can offer some support.

I also expect we will see King back though. 

1 minute ago, RumbleFox said:

What are people's reasons for not starting Okazaki?

For me it'd simply be a change of formation that renders him unecessary.

If we're persisting with 4 4 2 then he seems the only natural option seeing as he drops deep enough to basically make us a 4 5 1/8 1 1 formation.

6 minutes ago, filbertway said:

For me it'd simply be a change of formation that renders him unecessary.

If we're persisting with 4 4 2 then he seems the only natural option seeing as he drops deep enough to basically make us a 4 5 1/8 1 1 formation.

I don't necessary disagree that at some point a change in style/formation might be needed and that Iheanacho probably offers more potential and more goal threat but, as you say, if we play 442 (which seems very likely) for me Okazaki HAS to play.  When we won the league with 442 we had four players that were everywhere (Vardy, Kante, Albrighton and Okazaki).  We could maybe cope with three but, for me, with 2 or less it just does not work so I think Vardy, Albrighton and Okazaki have to play if we play 442. We definitely need a Plan B though.  Och, let's stuff the bstards. X

Shaky should have seen enough last night to know what he has to do on Saturday to get a positive result.

Press high up the pitch, attack with pace and get more bodies around their midfield. If he doesn't follow the setup of the second half, you have to question his tactical awareness. 

You figure Shinji has to play or we have to make a change from 442. We need the ground he covers in the midfield areas acting as the second phase of Vardy's press. If Shinji doesn't play, we have to play 3 in the middle to break up the link between Coutinho and their other forward players.

The polarisation of formations and players on here shows how much we are still firmly in transition between the old guard and the new blood.  I think this will prove another strange year, but with Nacho and Chilwell, Ndidi and Gray coming through we should start to see something new and different shaping up.

On Saturday we will play 442 and although I think there is a great argument for Shinji starting I can see Shakespeare going with Kelechi

Archived