Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Newcastle (A) Post Match Thread 2 - 3

11 minutes ago, sdb said:

Why was Simpson pushing up so much against 442?! Left Wes so exposed at times. 

Im being picky I'm not actually this miserable. 

Both Simpson and Chilly pushed right on at times and I assume the theory is either is Wilf or Saffron Lane sit in and cover

Fair to say there is work to do in a that area

The one thing that slughtly worries me is we seem to be pretty much playing just one way now and the big hoof / educated long pass has pretty much disappeared meaning better teams than Newcastle will suss that and squeeze the life out of us in midfield areas. Mahrez and Gray are causing havoc by popping up between the llines so I can see teams playing a much higher line in future. Not saying return to the totally direct method just think we might need to mix it up a little bit more at times 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, murphy said:

Some of the negativity on here after that is hard to believe.  

This is our third win on the bounce, we were away from home, we are a work in progress and this is the premier league.  Whatever happened in the last 3-4 years we are still a small fish in a big pond.  Do some people really expect us to have it all our own way for 90 mins.  That is ridiculous.

A PL away win is a thing of beauty and with all of our quality young players the future looks fantastic.

I’m with you I just don’t understand what people want! for me I’m liking the way Puel has us playing, it is good to watch and we are winning as well. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, murphy said:

This is our third win on the bounce, we were away from home, we are a work in progress and this is the premier league.  Whatever happened in the last 3-4 years we are still a small fish in a big pond.  Do some people really expect us to have it all our own way for 90 mins.  That is ridiculous.

A PL away win is a thing of beauty and with all of our quality young players the future looks fantastic.

I was in the happy clappy camp yesterday after leaving the game and still am but understand people's view that there is lots to improve on 

We all know being an LCFC fan is one big roller coaster and as one poster already alluded to we will probably get dicked 5 nil by someone soon and the end of world will be nigh again

On balance there is obviously a lot more positives than negatives 

The alternative of supporting a constant mid table team like Stoke or WBA is just mind numbing so I'll take the odd drubbing as long as we keep progressing especially if that involves the youngsters getting plenty of game time

27 minutes ago, ramadaone said:

Both Simpson and Chilly pushed right on at times and I assume the theory is either is Wilf or Saffron Lane sit in and cover

The one thing that slughtly worries me is we seem to be pretty much playing just one way now and the big hoof / educated long pass has pretty much disappeared meaning better teams than Newcastle will suss that and squeeze the life out of us in midfield areas. Mahrez and Gray are causing havoc by popping up between the llines so I can see teams playing a much higher line in future. Not saying return to the totally direct method just think we might need to mix it up a little bit more at times 

Not sure this is true, Ndidi sent one to Vardy towards the end of the first half and I'd argue that albrighton's first time through ball to Vardy for the 3rd is similar to that long direct pass.

If anything playing a different way will make that long ball more effective as teams will not be able to defend against us. Any team outside of the top 6 will be petrified to play a pressing game with Vardy on the pitch because they know what we can do - giving our 2cms time on the ball which is all we need to get mahrez gray albrighton in to dangerous areas. We are better on the ball now, can retain it and if put under pressure/opportunity arises we know how to use the long pass to Vardy better than anyone else in the league

Edited by Sammy
mispelling

Mahrez was amazing ! Awesome Goal . Then that cross to albrighton was just OMG ! Even at the third I was expecting vardy to give it back to Mahrez in an open position but he mad the right decision as it was the thirth goal! Super Okazaki and great win . Ibora was a bit out yesterday , tired maybe ? 

• Like 1

I have not read through this thread, but these are my thoughts.

Defensively we are poor; Iborra was totally ineffective which left us  exposed; Chilwell can’t defend or deliver a decent final ball.

Going forward we look really exciting, just need to move the more often the one touch passing route which is almost unstoppable.

Shame Shinji didn’t actually score the winner.

An entertaining early evening’s viewing.

We will lose at Southampton if we defend like that in the week though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

I have not read through this thread, but these are my thoughts.

Defensively we are poor; Iborra was totally ineffective which left us  exposed; Chilwell can’t defend or deliver a decent final ball.

Going forward we look really exciting, just need to move the more often the one touch passing route which is almost unstoppable.

Shame Shinji didn’t actually score the winner.

An entertaining early evening’s viewing.

We will lose at Southampton if we defend like that in the week though.

Can you please put your blue tinted specs on after we won! 

Killing my buzz

• Like 1

To maintain some balance, those of us who watched the game yesterday saw a City side playing some lovely football going forward, with fight and spirit.

We ALSO saw us defensively looking a bit frail and conceding two goals against a very poor Newcastle side, albeit buoyed by their 125 yr celebrations.

It's better, but it's not all roses yet. We looked like we could be carved open by a better side.

It was a really open game. Exciting, but we all said we should have just shut up shop after we went two up.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

To maintain some balance, those of us who watched the game yesterday saw a City side playing some lovely football going forward, with fight and spirit.

We ALSO saw us defensively looking a bit frail and conceding two goals against a very poor Newcastle side, albeit buoyed by their 125 yr celebrations.

It's better, but it's not all roses yet. We looked like we could be carved open by a better side.

It was a really open game. Exciting, but we all said we should have just shut up shop after we went two up.

Agreed apart from we never went two up 

• Like 3

Some people overreacting to Chilwell's performance yesterday. He played one suicide ball across, but the answer to that isn't to give him the hook, it's actually to trust him again. Young players make mistakes and the only way they eradicate them is to let them learn from those mistakes. Luckily he got away with it and now he'll think twice about playing a ball like that in a similar situation. He's learnt from it and we weren't punished for it. Win win if you ask me. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Some people overreacting to Chilwell's performance yesterday. He played one suicide ball across, but the answer to that isn't to give him the hook, it's actually to trust him again. Young players make mistakes and the only way they eradicate them is to let them learn from those mistakes. Luckily he got away with it and now he'll think twice about playing a ball like that in a similar situation. He's learnt from it and we weren't punished for it. Win win if you ask me. 

I do agree with that, albeit he seems to be doing it every game, but its right to trust him if he continues to play well as he is. 

Kasper was playing like Pele yesterday anyway so it was no issue

52 minutes ago, sdb said:

Absolutely. I always have to play devils advocate and everyone on here is so bloody positive ATM! 

22 minutes ago, murphy said:

When 2 opposites meet....!!!

If we were and had the right to be challenging EVERY  year like Spurs ,Arsenal  and  L'POOL, then the negative posts and the  so called "devils advocat"  approach, I could understand, some of them. It was a thing of legends and beauty when we won the League, but putting the then successfull club and the then  players, an over optimistic target of high coninuity, is/was OTT.

Ranieri could and should of led the club better, ..he changed too many things off the pitch, he lost Kante, we obviously couldnt replace.Our midfield played with hidden injured players.

Credit to him he tried to change our style and formation, maybe just too early.Even with the title

behind us, not many top players agents were knocking on the door.Nor will they...

We had the farce of the Shakespeare era, it wasnt the choice,but it was really the how and the .

delay .Then it seemed he wanted to re-visit the old days.

We have to forget ( but always remember) that great title season.

We sre now in a totally new situation if not a new era, at least a new stage of re-developement, under a new coaching and managemt platform.This new team of management ,has definitely

gave us a new breath of life, we see Puels ideas and changes have brought more positives than negatives. Potential has been upgraded, found a new dimension to our play, mixed with the positives of the old.Refound motivation, rekindled dying embers of old and young careers.

Put us in the top 8, Put dreams into the fans that we can at least chase top 4 ,where before

12-14th would of seemed success...Probably arrogantly we are expecting now at least top 10..

I am going to enjoy the journey, the single games ride, easily entertained..you bet I am, my own rebirth after my own scarey days is running parallel with my Foxes teams experiences...

Ambition of course I expect all fans to have that including higher plain dreams.

We are Leicester, We cant do 90-100% smooth rides, we are going to have wobbles, hiccups,

Rollercoasters seemed to be part of our inheritance, besides its those few bumps and blackouts, that make the positive part of the journey, more enjoyable.....innit.

FFS..f*k off to playing devils advocat, its sport, its entertainment, where things always shoot off

to and from the wanted,and expeced tangents....Its not the outcome, the end of journey outcome, but 

booking your seat ( as a fan), and bloody enjoying the ride , and its experieces and not trying to anticipate , predict beforehand what and how   it should  end.

Ambition with balance and not egoism, is the prudent seat to strap into.......:scarf:

We have played better sides (MCFC & Spurs) and neither battered us. Of course we could go to Anfield and lose 4-0. Even the top 6 teams batter each other now and again. Yes we do need to improve defensively. Simpson is being asked to do things he's not comfortable with. Morgan likewise. Chilwell is erratic and makes schoolboy errors but he is 20. The key js the next 2 transfer windows where Puel can add players in key positions. Remember Puel is improving us tactically and stylistically without using a transfer window. Be patient folks, we are evolving, slowly slowly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ramadaone said:

See the second goal. 

We're in no way one dimensional. If a team plays with a high defensive line, we'll still kill them on the counter, which is our trademark after all. Puel just added depth to our game. It's far from perfect sure, but one has to consider that it's still the beginning.

Edited by ZeGuy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

I agree with all of that, up to the last sentence.

Attempting to shut up shop; we are not able to that for any length of time; we tried that with Shakey and we roundly failed at it which he was rightly slated for and it was terrible to watch.

I think we should relentlessly play to our strengths,

amd in doing so I think we could finish top 8 AND be greatly entertained along the way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ramadaone said:

I was in the happy clappy camp yesterday after leaving the game and still am but understand people's view that there is lots to improve on 

We all know being an LCFC fan is one big roller coaster and as one poster already alluded to we will probably get dicked 5 nil by someone soon and the end of world will be nigh again

On balance there is obviously a lot more positives than negatives 

The alternative of supporting a constant mid table team like Stoke or WBA is just mind numbing so I'll take the odd drubbing as long as we keep progressing especially if that involves the youngsters getting plenty of game time

I genuinely think it’s a huge positive that we are picking up good wins, whilst not being 100% at our best. When it clicks we could be devastating, there are plenty of flashes of good play to wet our appetite.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Gerbold said:

This expectation of perfection isn't realistic or reasonable. We can't even be sure this renaissance is going to last. Some might think we were 'sloppy' but this wasn't a usual game anyway - an extremely cold (and far-flung) evening match in front of one of the most partisan crowds in the country. What little I saw of the game confirmed that the lads are becoming very confident - as individuals and with each other. Their close passing is regaining the expertise we saw in '15-'16. This is a team which is gradually developing the ability to win well or ugly - yet once more. Sure, individual errors of judgment were obvious but as a team they were reaching levels of play that had gone missing for long stretches of games this past season and a bit. Puel is introducing a sense of focus, elan and commitment. The raw materials were ever there - it needed a 'conductor' to form the players into a cohesive force. Three wins in a row can only boost their confidence further and we all know what a confident, skilled and determined City side can achieve - seemingly now without the need for Kante and Drinkwater. Puel has inherited a class side which needed direction and control - he appears to know what he's doing.

Superbly put.

Great result and some of our players are really shining ..  with JV living off crumbs we still managed 3 goals ...   OK they were sh1te but the crowd got them going and it's always going to be a tough place to go.  While we are all pooping our pants that blondie might go I just hope no one dives in and swipes N'Didi ..   He is immense for us and at the moment (who knows how Silva will fare) is irreplaceable  ...    Loved it yesterday just before the second goal when he managed to put two of their players on the deck :) ...   MOTM for me.     And one place higher in the league !!!

• Like 2