Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Gerard

Slimani

I admit I'm a fan of Slimani. I even like the fact that he waves his arms and shows his disgust at players during the game when they make useless passes or don't pass to open players. There's way too much of this clapping a shit pass because the "intention" was good. It's the premier league not Sunday football. Slimani is a very underrated passer and he is unselfish. I'd think he is a great teammate when players get used to his style. He does show a bad first touch sometimes and his shooting is seriously poor on occasion but I put that down, partly, to not getting assured playing time so snatching or panicking a bit because he thinks he needs a goal on every touch (like Gray sometimes). He is a completely different player to Vardy and Shinji so not a replacement which means that we have to change our style if he's the focal point. I actually think he'd be a good player in behind Vardy if our midfield shows that it is good enough to run the pitch and make up for Shinji's absence. 

He's a keeper for me.

2 hours ago, Father Ted said:

His attitude stinks

Came on here to say the same thing. The way he berates his team mates if they don't move the ball exactly where he wants it is ridiculous. Sort of thing not picked up by the cameras but first half he had prolonged arguments with Fuchs, Benalouane and Gray. You could say 'passion' or 'leadership' but no this was just a bit of a twat having a pop at anyone who wouldn't give him the ball. Unfortunately Slim isn't good enough to warrant being such a bell and I don't think it would endear him to his teammates either

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Here we are talking about ‘assists’ from a 30 million pound striker, against Fleetwood.

It is just me or shouldn’t we really be talking about a striker who looked dangerous at every opportunity, who scored a nice couple of goals and who pretty much shone out, amongst all the forwards on the pitch? 

I know Slim didn’t set his price tag, but are we really haggling over one assist in a game where he otherwise looked bang-average and got subbed off having had just about no attempts on goal. 

I sometimes think FT can be flipped on its head. Sometimes I think we are TOO patient with players. Slimani last night, frankly, was piss poor.  

Sorry, Colin. I don't share your sentiment regarding Slimani's peformance yesterday. He had a slow start, but found into it and I was rather baffled to see him being subbed for Albrighton, just like Slimani was himself.

Granted, he had just wasted a goalscoring opportunity, set up by Iheanacho. But other than that, I think he did fairly well. Was very active, dropping back when needed, chasing after the ball, and always willing to run at opposing defenders or the Fleetwood goalkeeper.

If Slimani's assist doesn't mean that much to you, you may also want to know that it was the assist to the goal that opened the score - the goal we desperately needed after another 40 miserable minutes in the first half. It was a fabulous through-ball, neatly timed. You don't see that often coming from a striker. He's got the composure and the vision for these situations, no doubt.

I'd also say that his posture sometimes gives the impression of him being a bit sluggish, which is quite a misconception.

I think he could gradually grow into Okazaki's role as a centre-forward, hassling opposing defenders and creating space and chances for our main striker and the four midfielders behind the centre-forward.

Edited by MC Prussian

8 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

You can't say with 100% certainty (like you just did) that slimani would not have started the next leauge game after his huddesfield performance. 

No I didn't. Go back and read what I said and don't extrapolate. 

I said that I disagreed with your basic premise, and said why. Anything else is projection. I'm not anti Slimani as a whole, I just don't think half a good match suddenly puts pressure on Vardy. That, in essence, is all I was saying. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Richard said:

Came on here to say the same thing. The way he berates his team mates if they don't move the ball exactly where he wants it is ridiculous. Sort of thing not picked up by the cameras but first half he had prolonged arguments with Fuchs, Benalouane and Gray. You could say 'passion' or 'leadership' but no this was just a bit of a twat having a pop at anyone who wouldn't give him the ball. Unfortunately Slim isn't good enough to warrant being such a bell and I don't think it would endear him to his teammates either

Meh, I don't blame him for it. I wouldn't blame Vardy for it if he berated everyone either. Any player that gets upset that someone moans at them for messing up a pass is a snowflake. 

The way I see it, Slim is hungry, wants to score, get the fans off his back, challenge Vardy (although let's face it Kane would be benched for Vardy in our team), etc. I'd rather he react this way than him smile and a thumbs up when Benalouane toe pokes it over his head or Gray dribbles the ball out for a goal kick when Slim was in the box.

54 minutes ago, FIF said:

I admit I'm a fan of Slimani. I even like the fact that he waves his arms and shows his disgust at players during the game when they make useless passes or don't pass to open players. There's way too much of this clapping a shit pass because the "intention" was good. It's the premier league not Sunday football. Slimani is a very underrated passer and he is unselfish. I'd think he is a great teammate when players get used to his style. He does show a bad first touch sometimes and his shooting is seriously poor on occasion but I put that down, partly, to not getting assured playing time so snatching or panicking a bit because he thinks he needs a goal on every touch (like Gray sometimes). He is a completely different player to Vardy and Shinji so not a replacement which means that we have to change our style if he's the focal point. I actually think he'd be a good player in behind Vardy if our midfield shows that it is good enough to run the pitch and make up for Shinji's absence. 

He's a keeper for me.

May as well be cuz he's a s**t striker

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Richard said:

Came on here to say the same thing. The way he berates his team mates if they don't move the ball exactly where he wants it is ridiculous. Sort of thing not picked up by the cameras but first half he had prolonged arguments with Fuchs, Benalouane and Gray.You could say 'passion' or 'leadership' but no this was just a bit of a twat having a pop at anyone who wouldn't give him the ball. Unfortunately Slim isn't good enough to warrant being such a bell and I don't think it would endear him to his teammates either

Dont see the problem tbf - grey was being grey and forgetting it's a team game, Benalouane was killing every spell with his "passing". I'd be going ballistic too if they weren't able to get the ball anywhere near the strikers at home to a league one side for near on 45 minutes 

9 hours ago, Eagle10 said:

Can't he fluff a chance now? Hasn't Vardy fluffed chances too? That makes him bad? Of course not, no striker has 100% efficiency, they will score some and fail some no worries there. He had a good game, the pass for the first goal was class, and overall had an alright game.

It’s funny that people seem to hold Vardy up to be some kind of world class finisher. Yes he’s scored some belters but also does miss a few ‘easy’ chances each game, the only reason people don’t pick up on it as much is because the number of chances he creates from his work rate. Have 8 shots, Miss 7 sitters but everyone remembers the one that gets the win. We need to realise that he is a very unique player,  iheanacho and Slim are not in the same ball park. Albrightons early service made iheanacho look much stronger in the second half.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Richard said:

You never was on a pitch then.

Edited by ZeGuy

Unfortunately for slimani we did look better when he went off. I do agree it does seem he has to have the perfect ball played to him or it has to be the perfect cross for him to head it. His first touch is awful and he wins nothing in an airal dual when it's knocked long to him. You do have to give him credit for setting the first goal up but I think hell be gone in january. Sky sports saying beskitas are interested in him. 

3 hours ago, FIF said:

He's a keeper for me.

I love  budding romance FIF :D

• Haha 1

Square peg in a round hole. Unfortunate as he's got a very good goal and assist ratio and actually like the fact he gets a strop on sometimes as it shows he cares. He's just suited to a side that pumps balls in the box more than we do. Plus there's probably not a player in the world that we could sign that would have dislodged Vardy past few seasons.

Edited by desertfox2
Autocorrect

Just when our record signing has started to find his feet it seems we're going to give up on him :angry:

Slimani was probably our best player in Pre Season, he played a massive part in helping us to the Quarters of the League Cup and was absolutely outstanding in the second half against Huddersfield only a few weeks back. What has impressed me though about Slimani this season has been his all round play, his link play has improved, his hold up play has improved, his heading ability has improved, yet for some ridiculous reason he hasn't been given enough chances.

Yes he's had his poor moments but so have all the other players, Vardy has done fvck all in many games this season. With Slimani you have that plan B, get crosses into the box and he'll more than likely nod one in. 

We've been useless at signing players now we're useless at selling players, giving up on him will be pure stupidity in my opinion, just sell Ulloa and be done with, keep Slimani then re-evaluate in the summer.

Thoughts...

• Like 2

A team with low possession stats needs players who can win the ball across the entire pitch. He severely lacks that aspect in aerial duals and doesn’t seem to have much pace to put players under pressure to make a mistake on the floor. He doesn’t suit our game so why keep him?

We can't keep Vardy, Slimani and Nacho happy,  not to mention Okazaki, Ulloa and the young guns coming through.

Fair enough sell Ulloa, but we still have too many strikers on our hands. Can't sell Vardy, Nacho is much younger than the others, Okazaki offers something different, Slimani has been decent, but never really looked a good fit. If we were going to sell one of Vardy, Nacho, Slim and Shinji. It has to be Slimani. Or we completely change our way of playing.

• Like 1

All in all, is it not really the case that Slimani probably real represents the worst bit of business the club has ever done? As in, financially, on a member of the squad? 

30 million pounds, ish.

He’s not been favoured by three successive managers, must be on a wedge of a salary and in all probability will be sold on.

When he plays, he looks dreadful and great in equal measure, even sometimes within the same game!

He’s been here now for some time yet doesn’t look like knocking Vards off his pedestal and I wouldn’t be surprised if Kelechi becomes our number two striker.

Am I being harsh? I’m not so sure. We’ve paid a lot of money and are still paying a lot of money for what is ostensibly a ‘squad player’

• Like 2

It's not a case of lets keep him he's finding his feet now. There are other considerations to make. Does he want to be here if he's not a regular starter? How much money is he on for someone who barely gets a game? Could his transfer fee/wages be better used on someone who'd fit our system better?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, F1_AN said:

A team with low possession stats needs players who can win the ball across the entire pitch. He severely lacks that aspect in aerial duals and doesn’t seem to have much pace to put players under pressure to make a mistake on the floor. He doesn’t suit our game so why keep him?

Of course he's no Shinji but Slimani has shown that he's willing to put himself about.

Why doesn't he suit our game? Many were saying Iheanacho doesn't suit our game so which is it?

As seen against Huddersfield, as seen in the league cup, as seen last season, he is more than capable of being that link from attack to midfield or whoever partners him up front, it's been dangerous at times.

23 minutes ago, Captain... said:

We can't keep Vardy, Slimani and Nacho happy,  not to mention Okazaki, Ulloa and the young guns coming through.

Fair enough sell Ulloa, but we still have too many strikers on our hands. Can't sell Vardy, Nacho is much younger than the others, Okazaki offers something different, Slimani has been decent, but never really looked a good fit. If we were going to sell one of Vardy, Nacho, Slim and Shinji. It has to be Slimani. Or we completely change our way of playing.

What's wrong with four strikers? Slimani being the only one who offers something different, that Plan B, that aerial threat. Sell Ulloa and keep Slimani as that target man, almost every team has a target man. He gets us goals and he offers a good enough link, why give up so soon?

15 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

All in all, is it not really the case that Slimani probably real represents the worst bit of business the club has ever done? As in, financially, on a member of the squad? 

30 million pounds, ish.

He’s not been favoured by three successive managers, must be on a wedge of a salary and in all probability will be sold on.

When he plays, he looks dreadful and great in equal measure, even sometimes within the same game!

He’s been here now for some time yet doesn’t look like knocking Vards off his pedestal and I wouldn’t be surprised if Kelechi becomes our number two striker.

Am I being harsh? I’m not so sure. We’ve paid a lot of money and are still paying a lot of money for what is ostensibly a ‘squad player’

Musa will probably be the worst bit of business we've done as I can see him leaving on a free in 2.5 years after running his £60k a week contract down and playing for the U23's.

Slimani is probably next though but not entirely his own fault. We bought him as a knee jerk reaction and tried to shoehorn him in as a No10 in the Okazaki role. The powers that be thought because he was a grafter he could do what Okazaki did but add air power presence and goals to that role.

We made a mistake and we need to at least sell one of Slimani or Iheanacho as we have too many No 9's in the squad considering we can only play one at a time effectively. We need to cut our losses on a player who hasn't worked out, cost £28m and is 30 in the summer. It's madness to suggest anything else IMO.

52 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

30 million pounds, ish.

You dodge my reply, I don't. He and Vardy do not have the same profile at all.

He's been injured under Ranieri and the team was in free fall. Don't even count the lack of pre-season and the time to bed in.

Then came Shakespeare and reverted everything to 2015/16 hoping for the best, which worked for a while and then rightfully got him the sack. Puel is trying things out but set his preference on Vardy because he's more suited to what Puel has in mind. Might also have something to do with Vardy being the star striker and one of the guys whose voice is certainly heard in the dressing room.

SLIM NEVER PLAYED MORE THAN TWO CONSECUTIVE GAMES.

And then you have people expecting from him or Nacho to knock off an absolute legend while playing out of position most of the time. If they even play.

lol. That's just insane.

Oh and stats wise he did knock Vardy off. He actually knocks everyone off.

Edited by ZeGuy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ZeGuy said:

You dodge my reply, I don't. He and Vardy do not have the same profile at all.

He's been injured under Ranieri and the team was in free fall. Don't even count the lack of pre-season and the time to bed in.

Then came Shakespeare and reverted everything to 2015/16 hoping for the best, which worked for a while and then rightfully got him the sack. Puel is trying things out but set his preference on Vardy because he's more suited to what Puel has in mind. Might also have something to do with Vardy being the star striker and one of the guys whose voice is certainly heard in the dressing room.

SLIM NEVER PLAYED MORE THAN TWO CONSECUTIVE GAMES.

And then you have people expecting from him or Nacho to knock off an absolute legend while playing out of position most of the time. If they even play.

lol. That's just insane.

Oh and stats wise he did knock Vardy off. He actually knocks everyone off.

Isn’t your bit in capitals exactly what I’m saying?

Under three successive managers, the clubs record striker (record signing) hasn’t played more than 2 successive games.

Did anyone genuinely believe that when City went out and spent so much money on a player who had a top reputation in Portugal, we’d be sat here today writing that he’s never played more than 2 consecutive games for the club?

If that doesn’t constitute ‘the wrong signing’ then what does? Apart from Musa of course. As Gerard said above...even worse....