Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Southampton (A) 4-1 Post Match Thread

3 hours ago, Buce said:

I can only assume you never saw Shilton or Banks play.

Kasper isn't in the same league.

3 hours ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

To be fair as great as it was, if Kasper hadn't pulled off that worldy and they pull it back to 2-3 we would have had a very uncomfortable last 20. I think we got a tad cocky and took our foot off the gas. Nearly very dangerous.

But the first half was exceptional. We were so good and in control.

That is a great order that the posts appeared. 

In summary, he may not be a shilts or a banks, (or even a cateract induced misty eyed romantic look to the past) but he's still a bloody good keeper. Especially shot stopping. That' was top drawer.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gerbold said:

If that's the standard of post match analysis by yer average Southampton fan then I pity anyone who plays or manages them. Although I'm loathe to generalise about the North-South border it seems to me that there's a distinct aura of entitlement or expectation centred around London and the South. Or maybe it's the youth of today. We've had plenty of iffy managers and some downright 'clunkers' but I'd never stand in front of a camera for some techie boy/spokesperson and slag off a man or men because of a poor result. I might express myself vehemently if the guys hadn't tried (though never in front of a camera) but not if they'd just been given a footballing lesson by a far superior team. I think it's automatic for f**kwits like those interviewees to underestimate just how good this current manifestation of Leicester City is. We do it ourselves - there were Match Thread posters unsure that we'd prevail, even with a three-goal cushion. It's not easy to get out of the habit of seeing City as a vulnerable side - prone to falling apart and regular demotions. However this is not 'traditional' City. Southampton came up against a side, not only replete with talent, but having regained their self-belief and desire.

We weren't overwhelmed by Man City - who are streets ahead of any other team in the Premier (and possibly better than any of the current 'super' clubs in the world) so you accept that your boys did the best they could and 'suck it up'. But these twerps were using their '15mins' to demonstrate they weren't true fans at all. It was embarrassing to watch.

If you want even more cringe worthy behaviour Gerbold have a read of Foxes Talk post match threads, some are embarrassing beyond words.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

Interesting stat

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/total_tackle?se=79

Is this why we can play free flowing football? Wilf is tackling opposition off the park. I think aside from his indifferent passing, he is playing really well in that holding role.

It's certainly helpful having a Wilf in the team :)!

I think his tackling is more useful for the counter attack - there have been a number of goals recently that stem from a tackle or interception from him that lead into a goal or scoring opportunity for us 20-30 seconds later. Freeflowing football I put down to a combination of things: 

- Iborra (or King yesterday) acting as a pivot, dropping deep when the defenders have the ball to give everyone at the back an option to pass to.

- Maguire who is cool and calm on the ball and passes it nicely instead of hoofing it.

- Full backs pushing on creating more space down whichever side we decide to attack down. 

- An added player in midfield or around the wings. (E.g. playing Albrighton / Gray / Mahrez at once). 

- Generally passing it more often.

But you can't deny he is one of the best midfielders in the league at the moment and helping get the ball back must contribute in some way to a more daring approach as we can be more confident we can get it back again. Statistically he's better than Kante, but then Kante doesn't need to make as many tackles as WIlf does.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/stats-zone-premier-league-player-201516-ngolo-kante

According to this article, Kante made 175 tackles and 156 interceptions during the 2016/16 season. Wilf currently has 74 tackles and 22 interceptions as a comparison. He might get to the same tackles by the end of the season, but no chance for interceptions.

Great result, team performance - and things are back to looking very rosy again all of a sudden, the most so since our majestic one off title win :-) A great night for Puel too - and talk about rubbing your former team's nose in it! Also to his credit he didn't visibly over rejoice in the win after the final whistle and handshakes as he appears to be a man of great dignity but I bet he was loving it inside.

Something strange going on at Southampton though re managerial changes, not as whacky as at Watford these days but not far off it. How do you sack a manager who finishes 8th and gets to a League Cup final?! - it would have been like us sacking O'Neill after four top ten finishes and two league cup wins - and like us, Southampton are no Man U, Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool or Arsenal so 8th and a cup final appearance has to be a good season, not one whereby the manager gets his marching orders at the end! Still, their loss is our gain to date!

11 minutes ago, Guy said:

Great result, team performance - and things are back to looking very rosy again all of a sudden, the most so since our majestic one off title win :-) A great night for Puel too - and talk about rubbing your former team's nose in it! Also to his credit he didn't visibly over rejoice in the win after the final whistle and handshakes as he appears to be a man of great dignity but I bet he was loving it inside.

Something strange going on at Southampton though re managerial changes, not as whacky as at Watford these days but not far off it. How do you sack a manager who finishes 8th and gets to a League Cup final?! - it would have been like us sacking O'Neill after four top ten finishes and two league cup wins - and like us, Southampton are no Man U, Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool or Arsenal so 8th and a cup final appearance has to be a good season, not one whereby the manager gets his marching orders at the end! Still, their loss is our gain to date!

Less of the 'one - off'... 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

5 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I just need to know when the next one's due then so I can put a tenner on us and then buy a mansion a year later !

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

Interesting stat

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/total_tackle?se=79

Is this why we can play free flowing football? Wilf is tackling opposition off the park. I think aside from his indifferent passing, he is playing really well in that holding role.

give Wilf his do, he was getting a bit of stick from some of our fans earlier in the season but since hes had Iborra next to him hes been playing brilliantly imo

There's some irony with it being Southampton away (not just the Puel angle) as for me the fixture at the start of the year where we afforded them pockets of space and invited free shots on our goal all afternoon was the absolute point of no return for Claudio, we couldn't get close to them and aside from the standing off them were run ragged with a line of 8 or 9 charging back from the edge of the box to the goal line like startled wildebeest. 

They are also the club that I say are our reasonable closest competitors until West Ham sort themselves out, if you take the traditional big 6 and until recently Everton as a top 7. That next slot is the least we should aim for and when during Ranieri and Shakeys sackings we're told by the  Sky panelists we should expect 10th-17th I would point to days like this and say if we can go there and be fearless and brave like we did we're a grade above where they see us.

1 hour ago, Donut said:

It was one of the most complete away performances ive ever seen last night.

I cant believe how quickly we have improved from early this season. 

The appreciation of space, the fluidity of the system going forwards and the defensive shape looks so sound.

Notice the goals mahrez gray and okazaki are scoring? Whilst vardy seemingly isnt scoring?

Vardy is in top form. He stretches tge backline backwards, gray mahrez and shinji occupy the half space and just create havoc.

The mahrez goal for example yesterday. Unstoppable. No one could afford to be dragged out of position by mahrez so they naturally stay off him but then he has that left foot to bash a shot. Follow him youre leaving a 2 v 1 right side overload or centreback comes out and vardy rushes in.

Southampton have no way of defending that.

And that comes from PASSING THE BALL and trusting the man receiving to take a touch and pass and move themself.

The beauty of this though.... look how it improves our defensive shape.

Because the ball is travelling smaller distances we can recover our shape quicker with less space between players and the lines. Im certain our defensive record will improve.

Other than the brief spell around the goal it was absolute domination really. I couldnt believe how comfortable we were.

Great post! Totally agree with all your points. Regarding Vardy, he’s actually playing better despite scoring less! Look at his positioning and touch. He’s making some great passes, flicks and cushioned assists to his fellow forwards. They are scoring because he’s playing so well. 

One other thing I haven’t seen mentioned yet is togetherness. The team looks and acts like a team again! When Mahrez scored yesterday you could visibly hear Vardy screaming “yesssss!” which was brilliant. After Shinji scored both his goals, half the team came up to hug him! Mahrez and Vardy are passing to each other again realising they can both be the stars of the team. Even Puel has a passionate celebration!

I’m currently rewatching the match start to finish again. Brilliant team performance!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Beechey said:

Think I heard "[We're all going on a European tour] ... dilly ding, dilly dong" being chanted for the first time since February yesterday.

You most certainly did  enjoyed that getting another outing. Another good one was 'You should have gone Christmas shopping'

7 hours ago, Bluetintedspecs said:

If you want even more cringe worthy behaviour Gerbold have a read of Foxes Talk post match threads, some are embarrassing beyond words.

Have just read the Southampton one and describing it as embarrassing doesn't do it justice

I honestly think some of those muppets think Puel and his staff sit in a shed drinking tinnies all week and then draw names out of a hat for the next game

57 minutes ago, ramadaone said:

Have just read the Southampton one and describing it as embarrassing doesn't do it justice

I honestly think some of those muppets think Puel and his staff sit in a shed drinking tinnies all week and then draw names out of a hat for the next game

Yeah incredulous, pre match kneejerk tripe in abundance :unsure:

It could be the insomnia but we can finish 4th this season, back in the Champions League ;)

We know our boys can keep winning under immense pressure (see title win). Tottenham/Arsenal/Liverpool continue to be inconsistent and falter and they have European football as a distraction.

4th place is on the table for us.

Edited by maddog

On 12/13/2017 at 22:57, TaggertvsWise said:

One key aspect for me is, currently, Puel has found a way to not rely on Vardy’s goals. That. Is. Massive.

Vardy has 2 goals out of the 17 we've scored under Puel and I don't think he's even played badly. He could've had more as he's missed a couple of chances but that is very important really.

8 hours ago, maddog said:

It could be the insomnia but we can finish 4th this season, back in the Champions League ;)

We know our boys can keep winning under immense pressure (see title win). Tottenham/Arsenal/Liverpool continue to be inconsistent and falter and they have European football as a distraction.

4th place is on the table for us.

It's not really on. We have 21 games left and we have given Tottenham, Liverpool and Arsenal a six point start (we very likely wouldn't beat them on goal difference). We'd probably have to win the next five games on the trot just to be in the pack alongside them.

Saying that you never know but no one will consider us top four contenders outside of Leicester fans.