Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

Leicester 1- Newcastle 2 post match thread.

The Maguire booking was Twattwells fault, if he blows as soon as he sees the pulling the incident doesn't occur but no, he lets it go, lets it go, lets it go, then blows for the foul after Maguire reacts. Maguire shouldn't react but he's being pulled back and has a knee in the back of his thigh and a foot hooking around making contact with him and not the ball and the ref just watches, I didn't notice a "play on" gesture suggesting he hadn't acknowledged it as a foul until Maguires actions made stopping the game inevitable.

On two occasions this season managers have questioned the safety of their players in an Attwell match, one day something serious is going to happen.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

FFS, Puel!

What a way to throw away three vital points or at least one for the Europa League challenge!!!

Where's the ambition gone?

Where do we want to go with this season - just peter out with little to no Fuchs given??

Seriously underwhelmed by our style of play under Puel.

And the First Half Curse under Claude strikes again! I've had it with our lacklustre approach to matches.

If we are not interested in the Europa league  why not  play a few youngsters  and give another goalie a run out The younster who came on was probablly our best player

4 hours ago, jammie82uk said:

It Definitely is, having seen the incident live I thought it was but then reading on here people who watched on television said it wasn’t I would have thought it was more debatable then that 

I might be reassessing my opinion of some posters seeing as MOTD apparently reviewed and agreed it was 

Edited by st albans fox

4 hours ago, UPinCarolina said:

I love that other FT posters have met other FT posters in real life. Met @HoustonFox at the PSG match in LA. Imagine I met a few others as well and didn’t know it. 

Yeah, it was awesome to meet you too!  Also got to meet with @The_77, who is one of my favourite people.  I'm sure a lot of people have met him, and hung out at Legends in NYC.  Houston isn't as glamorous of a location, but all welcome to meet if ever here. 

Haven’t read though this thread yet but I’m sure the negatives are well documented. On the positive side I’d say that was Silva’s best performance since he’s been here, Choudhury looked OK though unsurprisingly a bit lost at times, and made some crucial blocks, and Diabate continues to impress.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

14 hours ago, ZeGuy said:

Singling out Morgan or the gaffer is beyond pathetic.

We never looked like we were or even wanted to win.

The best players didn't turn up. Mahrez looked like he was already on holiday and made one wrong choice after another, Albrighton polished his run of crosses and passes to the opposition, even Vardy who besides his tap-in couldn't be arsed to fall back a bit instead of waiting between two defenders for a ball which was never going to land at his feet. 

Diabaté is still too rough and his end product lacks a bit but was as well as Silva, the only one who wanted to make things happen. Add to two key midfielders out, a catastrophic mistake and there you have it.

The coach started the best possible team and made the subs on time. It's a collective failure on the pitch.

I think you are on your own here son. Defending the indefensible makes Jack a lonely boy.

8 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Watching the highlights of the game back this morning. The amount of space we afforded them in the space between our defence and midfield was criminal. It could easily have been more than two conceded.

Just shows how much we need N’didi.

Puel's changed our style of play and I've no objection to that, our former style had be sussed out by the opposition managers who set their teams up the negate it.  We had to have more than one plan and now we have.  Unfortunately it seems to me that one side effect of the change is that we're no longer a constant threat to the opposition and that gives them the freedom to play as they wish.

The last few matches have been uninspiring, we've been tepid against average opposition who have a greater motivation to win than ourselves.  It looks like the team spirit and Foxes Never Quit attitude has gone with our style of play.  We need to get it back because we have little future without it, there are no successful teams that don't show purpose and determination as well as skill on the football field.

I don't want to single out individual players because even if we replace them we will continue to underachieve if the system is weak.  There is work to be done and we have the luxury of being able to experiment before the season is over without fear of relegation.  This has to be sorted before next season's campaign or we'll really have something to be unhappy about.

34 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Watching the highlights of the game back this morning. The amount of space we afforded them in the space between our defence and midfield was criminal. It could easily have been more than two conceded.

This happens quite frequently even with Ndidi in the side. Iborra being the deepest CM is only able to move at a snails pace off the ball, so any opposing midfield with some good movement can get in between the lines very easily.

Our defensive structure is non existent and is one of the reasons our defence looks so poor. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Crinklyfox said:

Puel's changed our style of play and I've no objection to that, our former style had be sussed out by the opposition managers who set their teams up the negate it.  

We should have improved upon our previous style, not changed it so radically. Look at Atletico Madrid as an example, they are a counter attacking team like we were. But they have added elements like keeping possession to their counter attacking style, not just abandoned it completely. 

We had to have more than one plan and now we have.  We had to have more than one plan and now we have.  

Do we? It looks like we’re going one way and that’s to play possession football. We’re becoming as one dimensional as we ever have been. When have we played counter attacking football under Puel? 

I decided to wait and reflect before posting about this game. My immediate reaction was to lay into the team and manager, like so many others, after a really flat and poor performance. Against Swansea, Stoke and Bournemouth, I felt we were unlucky not to win; today, I felt losing only 2-1 was fortunate.  We were awful. 

However, perspective  is everything:

We had our 2 best CMs this season off the pitch for most of the game. 

We are 8th in the table and made it to the last 8 of both cups. Statistically, this is a relatively good season in terms of our history.

We are almost certain to finish in a higher position with more points than last season, which represents progress. 

Yes, it's disappointing that 7th place and Europe looks to have been lost to a team with a much smaller budget. But Burnley have a very stable team and way of playing, whilst we are essentially in transition, with several young players being blooded in and older ones phased out, and a new style of play being developed.

Overall, these are really exciting times for our club, with a big budget for new players this summer and plans for a stadium expansion and a state of the art training ground.  

So, I'm not going to get too despondent about things just yet. 

• Like 3

Disgusting performance from the player's yesterday. Newcastle were rubbish yet you could see how much more they wanted it compared to our player's and it did not surprise me that they walked away with all three points.

What disappoints me most is that many of the player's who played such a pivotal part in the great escape and title winning side seem to have forgotten how much their own high work ethic contributed to their success and have simply become complacent. 

Culturally that can't be a good thing, as any new player's coming into the squad accept that as the norm. You can have all of the talent in the world but if you're not prepared to work hard for the team you'll seldom succeed. The league has evolved to the point where even the very best teams are now continuously pressing, tracking back, and on the move. That says a lot about how high the bar is now set just to compete. 

I lay the blame yesterday at the feet of the player's. Too many simply didn't turn up and individual errors cost us dearly.

Whilst it was a turgid performance overall, I'm prepared to get behind the manager as I can see what he is trying to do and with the right personnel which I think will arrive in the summer the system and style of play will most certainly work. 

It's difficult right now as he's having to try and get across his ideas to a group of player's some of which are technically limited and some who have clearly seen better days. Those players will know that they are effectively finished at the club for one reason or another yet still have a job to do. As such I wouldn't be surprised if motivation is relatively low amongst some of the squad and they have downed tools. 

I said last week after the Brighton game that the movement in the final third was very poor which was causing us to slow down the play as none of the forward players were offering an option. Nothing yesterday suggested that this had improved but this is ultimately down to the work rate of the attacking players. Without attackers prepared to disrupt the back line of the opposition, the play will naturally slow down especially in a team schooled to retain possession of the ball. 

My anger yesterday was down to the fact that the game should have easily been a winnable one especially with the opportunity to finish seventh, yet that result barring a colossal down turn in form from Burnley has pretty much ended any hopes of possibly achieving European qualification. If the player's can't get up for games when we clearly have something to play for then it doesn't bode well for the remainder of the season.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gurru991 said:

It doesn't matter if it is given or not. The second the ref says no then you need to move on and win the game by scoring goals. We never looked dangerous at any time !!

Penalties come and go .. somedays Yes .. others No   

We have to score to win .. Full Stop

Whining about a refs decision when we didn't deserve the win anyway is laughable 

It does matter, if the penalty is given then the game takes a completely different flow. 

Its all ifs and buts, but yes we were poor today. Seems to be whenever a team doesn't let us settle we suffer 

15 hours ago, ZeGuy said:

What did you honestly expect this season? What do you want? Sack him?

You're one of the most sensitive posters here and I swear I have hard time to follow you. It was clear that season was a transition with a LOT of hit and miss games.

Weren't we utterly boring and predictable under Ranieri II and Shakey using the old system? Didn't surrendering possession show its utter limits? Weren't we playing great under Puel before Gray and Iborra went off the boil? 

Who gave Gray and Chilwell their chance? Who freed Mahrez from his defensive shakles? Who introduced Choudhoury for the first time? How many first halves under Shakespeare did we throw?

The counter-attacking excellence you and so much crave for was gone as soon as the midfield which launched them went to Chelsea and the other teams decided to give us the ball. It never has been the same since then, no matter how much you try to sugar coat it.

Yes it's a slow based possession but there is little to no end product because Puel's system demands modern FBs and a 10. We have neither. Chilwell whilst undeniably progressing, isn't ready and Simpson.. well, is Simpson. At home where every rival or crappier team comes for a draw we struggle and we still will. Using Morgan's colossal error of judgement to have a dig at the manager is absolutely ridiculous.

He has his own ideas about this team and was recruited accordingly. He's sticking to them and I won't judge him until he has at least a transfer window. 

The rest of the fans can feel free to slag him off.

Sorry, ZeGuy, but something in that post tells me you've been a little blinded by Puel.

I also understand that he's trying to implement a new system. Trouble is, it's the exact antithesis of what made us so great. If he were to implement new elements to our counter-attacking play, mixing it with a bit more possession here and there, no worries. But on countless occasions, we look tame, Mahrez gets lost with his fancy dribbling into the opposing box, creating nothing, Vardy gets more and more isolated and it's a miracle he still manages to score goals for us. The link with Okazaki is somewhat broken, jury's still out on Gray and Diabaté, Simpson and Chilwell get caught on the counter, because they're not proper wingbacks that can track back in time, Morgan is getting on and should retire or switch to a lower division this summer. Our centre-backs tend to move deep into opposing territory (*gasp*) and then we wonder why they aren't where they're supposed to be, defending. Crowding the other half of the pitch with your own players only works if you can control a game like Manchester City do under Guardiola.

But we don't have the players to do that, and Puel isn't Guardiola.

There's so many elements of our team that are not functioning properly, it hurts. It hurts even more because we're in sight of Burnley, have a chance of playing Europa League next season, but JUST DON'T WANT TO GO FOR IT. Again, did we really want to win at Brighton until Chilwell came up with that surprisingly well-timed cross? Time and time again, it's the same story under Puel. This consistency of negativity on the pitch does my head in. We only start playing football when we're forced to do so! It's a reactionary type of football that is pitiful to watch.

About Choudhoury: You seriously believe that is down to Puel? He had no other choice at CM! Ndidi suspended, Iborra injured yesterday, James injured, King away on loan. We seriously lack class in central midfield, have done so all season. That's not an attack on Puel, not his fault we didn't spend sensibly there last summer (or in January). Choudhoury played surprisingly well, because he had something to prove. He brought something fresh to the game. Our starting XIs under Puel come across as devoid of any idea, little creative spark with Mahrez going hit and miss. This isn't a team, it's a sum of eleven players more like it.

So, while you understand that we don't have the players to implement Puel's system - why the need for Puel to change it this drastically during an ongoing season then? Is this all just one big test tube? I do hope we can somehow lay the foundations for a successful and entertaining 2018/2019 season with this experimental phase. I just don't want to see Puel sucking more life out of this team. Every time I watch an LCFC match lately, we come out of the tunnel not knowing what to do going forward, we just want to waste time and play a possession-based game that suits neither the players nor the fans.

People say we should look at the table. Let's remind everyone that we're 8th not because we're particularly good, but because the teams immediately behind us are worse than us.

Here's to a better next season and a full pre-season under Puel.

*Bites teeth*

Edited by MC Prussian
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Gerbold said:

I think the opposite, pal. So ZeGuy isn't on his own. He made some very reasoned comments - unlike your clumsy and exaggerated attempt to single him out.

No not biting. Pal. Although ------------ maybe you are right there are two of you so guilty as charged for being exaggerated and clumsy.

Edited by Bunyip