Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I have no idea why I ever open the comments section under any BBC sport article. 

**** me the mouth breathers. 

The first comment I read in the PREMIER LEAGUE WINTER BREAK SET FOR FEBRUARY article was someone complaining that we'd have no football over Christmas.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, lancyclaret said:

Harry Kane? £280k a week. Bobby Smith was just as good in Spurs' double side of 1961....I think he earned a basic £20 a week.

Judge for yourselves: Smith (for Spurs) 271 games, 176 goals; (for England) 15 games, 13 goals.

Kane (for Spurs) 150 games, 108 goals; (for England) 24 games, 13 goals.

Smith was a league & FA Cup double winner (1961), FA Cup winner (1962), European Cup Winners champions (1963). Kane honours - zilch.

The maximum wage of £20 a week was abolished in 1961. Johnny Haynes of Fulham became the first £100 a week player in 1961 and George Best the first £1,000 a week player in 1971.

Out of interest do you see a loaf of bread for 30p and bemoan the pound notes needed now, not like the old days where you could get a car for 2 shillings and thrupence?

4 hours ago, lancyclaret said:

Harry Kane? £280k a week. Bobby Smith was just as good in Spurs' double side of 1961....I think he earned a basic £20 a week.

Judge for yourselves: Smith (for Spurs) 271 games, 176 goals; (for England) 15 games, 13 goals.

Kane (for Spurs) 150 games, 108 goals; (for England) 24 games, 13 goals.

Smith was a league & FA Cup double winner (1961), FA Cup winner (1962), European Cup Winners champions (1963). Kane honours - zilch.

The maximum wage of £20 a week was abolished in 1961. Johnny Haynes of Fulham became the first £100 a week player in 1961 and George Best the first £1,000 a week player in 1971.

Yes but in those days you could buy a house for that and still have change for a world cruise.

11 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Yes but in those days you could buy a house for that and still have change for a world cruise.

Actually, £20 a week was only about the national average wage in 1961 so many top -flight footballers had to take on a second job to supplement their income.

Jimmy Robson, scorer of Burnley's goal in the 1962 FA Cup final, often did a stint  as a coal miner before some Burnley night matches and a few of the first team worked for local butcher Bob Lord, who was Burnley's dictator-type chairman at the time.

Edited by lancyclaret

18 minutes ago, lancyclaret said:

Actually, £20 a week was only about the national average wage in 1961 so many top -flight footballers had to take on a second job to supplement their income.

Jimmy Robson, scorer of Burnley's goal in the 1962 FA Cup final, often did a stint  as a coal miner before some Burnley night matches and a few of the first team worked for local butcher Bob Lord, who was Burnley's dictator-type chairman at the time.

The Burnley Butcher.

A strong personality.

"Special" sausages, I reckon.

2 hours ago, lancyclaret said:

Very true. Also doesn’t Dyche sometimes work the door of the Burnley Wetherspoons?

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Out of interest do you see a loaf of bread for 30p and bemoan the pound notes needed now, not like the old days where you could get a car for 2 shillings and thrupence?

in 1908 the Model T cost $850, in 1961 I think something like a hillman cost about £850. average wage in UK was about £1000 in 1961.

14 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Contracts don't mean anything - if anything this will just triple Kane's value - but part of me think's he's just gonna stay at Spurs all his career.

Contracts mean nothing to footballers, they do to clubs. If Kane was for sale at the moment I guess he'd get about $130m or at least 2 Mahrez's. I think he'll stay at Spurs for 2 or 3 years but when they continue to fail to win anything he'll be off. 

8 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Liverpool not getting Fekir any more lol 

Apparently they tried to lower the price during the medical as something was wrong and now the whole deal is off.

These things have a habit of sorting themselves out - might take until the jan window by prior agreement 

3 hours ago, StanSP said:

Apparently they tried to lower the price during the medical as something was wrong and now the whole deal is off.

He basically has zero knees. They shouldn't be going near him anyway, especially playing at Klopp pace. He'd probably survive a few seasons in a Mourinho team playing walking football but nowt else. 

The wonder is how they didn't pick it up scouting though given I could ****ing tell them that just from watching the European football show on bt. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, StanSP said:

Had already done the official photoshoot and the introductory interview for LFCTV too lol

DfRWvm2XcAIlq61.jpg:large

• Haha 1