Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

Just now, Jattdogg said:

Mahrez is magical in the right environment. He wouldnt ever come back here though.

He'd probably see it as a step back, but at the same time the nostalgia factor can play a part. 

When we beat Man City it was interesting to see his reaction, Ricardo was mobbed by the other players on the team and adored by the fans, whereas Mahrez still seems like an outcast at Man City and their fans consider him a waste of money. When I see Man City play, I get the feeling their star players don't really trust him. Aguero has looked fed up with him on a number of occasions, though this is mainly because Mahrez does something greedy instead of passing it to him!

3 hours ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Really can't understand why Man City signed Riyad. Not because I don't think he's good enough to play for them but simply because they already have so many high quality players who can fit into the 3 positions behind the striker. It's no wonder he gets no game time. His signing was driven either by pure greed or to stop another Big 6 team coming in for him. 

Similar to what Guardiola did at Bayern and Barcelona. Buying some of the best players from clubs in the same league in order to weaken the immediate opposition.

Following the motto "If you can't have him, we will".

8 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Similar to what Guardiola did at Bayern and Barcelona. Buying some of the best players from clubs in the same league in order to weaken the immediate opposition.

Following the motto "If you can't have him, we will".

Oh yeah because we're regularly challenging Man City for the title. They bough him because he's had outstanding seasons for a mostly average mid table side and they only have three proper wide players.

3 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Oh yeah because we're regularly challenging Man City for the title. They bough him because he's had outstanding seasons for a mostly average mid table side and they only have three proper wide players.

I assume MC means so that no other teams in the Top 6 could buy him. I could have seen him making more of an impact at Chelsea, for example. (In more of a Kante type way than a Drinkwater one!)

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

Hence *weakening the immediate opposition" - we're not part of that elite.

54 minutes ago, davieG said:
The truth is that the three standout academy graduate success stories over the last two years have only come through necessity. Marcus Rashford, Trent Alexander-Arnold and Aaron Wan-Bissaka all seized their opportunities during injury crises. Newcastle’s Sean Longstaff is another example of the same trend. These players are good enough, they just need a chance.

Er, they seem to be forgetting about a certain England international left-back, there...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xen said:

Er, they seem to be forgetting about a certain England international left-back, there...

Forgotten Champions, Fish and Chip paper now.

5 hours ago, MattP said:

He'll get more satisfaction from our one.

That's not the issue here though as the two are now totally separate as our title win happened years ago.

The question now is will he get more satisfaction as a bit part player winning trophies at Man City or playing every week at mid-table Leicester City and the answer to that for anyone who isn't a fan of us is the former. 

You are probably right on all points.

As I said in my post, Mahrez is a special talent. I hope it works out for him. 

I have no grudge if players want to leave, or think the grass is greener. As long as they do their utmost for us whilst here.

But at Man City he's finding out he's just another player.

So I wonder how his mindset is at the moment? I've heard Robbie Savage say players basically want two things......to be paid and to be playing. It'll be interesting watching how his career goes from now on.

Absolutely superb piece from Daniel Storey on football hysteria: https://www.football365.com/news/the-2018-19-premier-league-title-race-expose-the-fraud

The passage that sums it up best:

"Even away from the worst elements of supporters, a general mania exists that is enough to give you a migraine. Melodrama and hysteria now come as standard as clubs and managers lurch between crisis and glory like a runaway train and supporters delight in both according to their loyalties. No longer is it enough to wait until the end of the season for medals and trinkets to be handed out. Why bother, when you can scream and scream and scream until you’re sick after every match. And you can."

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Stadt said:

Drinkwater played 500 minutes of football last season. Mahrez has played 1245 already so not really.

That's not really a fair comparison though is it? Drinkwater was signed to fill an English quota and as a backup. Mahrez was the most expensive signing the league champions have ever made. If he was as good as you were all making out he'd be the principle starter and others would be getting the back-up and squad minutes. The fact is since our title win he hasn't been very good apart from a few minutes here and there.

19 hours ago, Manini said:

I never fully appreciated how good Mahrez was until I realised I had to watch Dimi Gray plod up and down the wing pretending he’s able to play at a decent level every week. 

Typical Leciester supporter of the moment. Denigrating his own players. Gray had looked better and better. Hiw pace is electric, his control and decision making great and he has leaened to put in a shift in defence. Now we just need his shot accuracy to improve and he'll be a very good prem player. all that and he's not even 23.

6 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Would you take Mahrez back if he was offered? Maybe on loan instead of buying him back?

Despite the handbags around his departure, for me it would be an obvious yes!

Not for me. Shown a lack of effort and spirit for 2 years with us. was happier to stir things with Slim against Vards than actually get the team to gel. We showed last season that we can't afford to carry him and let's face it for all the doom and gloom (brexit like) spread at his departure we are in as good a position in the league without him as we were with him.

He's moved on, LCFC have moved on, some of you need to move on too. Support the players who want to play for us instead of booing them and supporting players who didn't want to play for us and even refused to play for us.

20 minutes ago, FIF said:

That's not really a fair comparison though is it? Drinkwater was signed to fill an English quota and as a backup. Mahrez was the most expensive signing the league champions have ever made. If he was as good as you were all making out he'd be the principle starter and others would be getting the back-up and squad minutes. The fact is since our title win he hasn't been very good apart from a few minutes here and there.

I didn’t make the comparison.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Manini said:

Whatever you say @FIF - I’d say compared to most on here I’m quite the optimist. I think we’ve got some cracking young and old players I just don’t think Gray is very good. 

He's gonna be 24/25 and he'll still have some saying he's got potential and we need stick with him.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, egg_fried_rice said:

Absolutely superb piece from Daniel Storey on football hysteria: https://www.football365.com/news/the-2018-19-premier-league-title-race-expose-the-fraud

The passage that sums it up best:

"Even away from the worst elements of supporters, a general mania exists that is enough to give you a migraine. Melodrama and hysteria now come as standard as clubs and managers lurch between crisis and glory like a runaway train and supporters delight in both according to their loyalties. No longer is it enough to wait until the end of the season for medals and trinkets to be handed out. Why bother, when you can scream and scream and scream until you’re sick after every match. And you can."

Sometimes the honest truth hurts...especially when it sits!!!   Below is also relevant to clever media deliberately throwing in the biggest spoon to create and

make their own agendas....

Social media has enabled antisocial people to become social. Someone who would normally have had an outrageous opinion dismissed can now find like-minded (and often anonymous) individuals who share it. When those opinions are given undue prominence  they inevitably propagate.

Even I might be taking an higher station than I should when I say,no matter how much everyone has the right to an opinion...

but it's often far,far OTT. 

when those opinions tear into and slate the whole character and potential of any young  sportsman,with nonsensical,immature

own made agendas,and crusades. Demeaning and discrediting that targeted sportsman right to ply their chosen career....

Many should sit back,and just think on their own characters display,when putting fingers onto their keyboards.... 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Hasn’t he already served one game and his second would be this weekend if he accepts the second game or the fa cup game if he appealed and lost 

Yes, he's already served one match, so it's odds-on he'll appeal knowing if he loses it, he'll be banned for the FA Cup match, which he probably wouldn't play in anyway!