Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

3 hours ago, ThaiFox said:

Brilliant post! 

Hasn't Dean refereed Spuds to more defeats in the past 4 years than any other referee? They hate him there! So, for that reason alone, I think he's top notch!

Here was me thinking he was a cvnt. 

He's got my vote for best ref of the decade. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peach0000 said:

This constant thing of good and bad referees to me is ridiculous. I can see that mike dean with his style might wind a few people up but to suggest he is a bad referee is just wrong. To get to the stage where you are a premier league referee you have to be at the very top of the profession and they all are. It’s really not an easy job. On a premier league football pitch you have elite athletes doing everything at such a pace it makes it impossible for referees. It actually amazes me they are as good as they are.

Cheers Mike. You make some valid points there.

2 hours ago, peach0000 said:

This constant thing of good and bad referees to me is ridiculous. I can see that mike dean with his style might wind a few people up but to suggest he is a bad referee is just wrong. To get to the stage where you are a premier league referee you have to be at the very top of the profession and they all are. It’s really not an easy job. On a premier league football pitch you have elite athletes doing everything at such a pace it makes it impossible for referees. It actually amazes me they are as good as they are.

Agree...Not forgetting fans ,Players,and managers,are too damn stupid to even get to know the rules...!:mad:

All Referees are top...and should be brought a couple of pints after the game..Referees rock !!

12 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Pre season is a long way away but it looks like no Premier Asia Trophy for us. Man City, Wolves, Newcastle and West Ham in Shanghai

Wow.. Big teams!.. 

The Best team in England AND Manchester City too!! 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Pre season is a long way away but it looks like no Premier Asia Trophy for us. Man City, Wolves, Newcastle and West Ham in Shanghai

Given wolves are Chinese owned that’s not a shock. That’s a better line up than the last tournament with West Brom and palace! 

Shanghai back end of July .........players will be happy not to be going there ...... it’s disgusting walking around in that humidity, never mind playing! 

Hopefully we follow our standard austrian camp and close to home friendlies .......

11 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Agree...Not forgetting fans ,Players,and managers,are too damn stupid to even get to know the rules...!:mad:

All Referees are top...and should be brought a couple of pints after the game..Referees rock !!

And not just the top refs. There are literally dozens of ordinary blokes with a love of footy who turn out for all the park and local league games for a paltry £25.

Believe me, when I was playing, the amount of stick and abuse these guys get week and week out, was embarrassing at times.  Without them there would be no grass roots football and the whole pyramid would collapse.

Doesn't mean that I always have to agree with their decisions, and call their eyesight into question on occasion, but when you get a bit of a prima donna type (Mike Dean) it does create an atmosphere and that's when things can turn sour. Start treating people like naughty children and they will behave like them.

Respect is a two way thing, and all the best refs get this whilst giving the players the same respect in return. Fair but don't take no sh*t from no-one.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, peach0000 said:

You’re on the wind up. You must be. I genuinely can’t think of a single referee, in the Premier League, who can be described as anything anywhere near good. They’re all absolutely atrocious and the bloody FA know it, which is why they never come under any criticism from them or their mates at the PGMOL or whatever it’s called and also why they’re not obligated to give interviews after the game such as the players and the managers. 

Some of the decisions they make are...they’re just mind boggling. 

Edited by Manini

2 hours ago, Manini said:

You’re on the wind up. You must be. I genuinely can’t think of a single referee, in the Premier League, who can be described as anything anywhere near good. They’re all absolutely atrocious and the bloody FA know it, which is why they never come under any criticism from them or their mates at the PGMOL or whatever it’s called and also why they’re not obligated to give interviews after the game such as the players and the managers. 

Some of the decisions they make are...they’re just mind boggling. 

Then take on the Black shirt,and show us how it should really be done...:wave:

Edited by fuchsntf

13 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Then take on the Black shirt,and show us how it should really be done...:wave:

Not me. While I admire what they do (despite sometimes atrocious decisions) I value my mental well being too much.

Anyone who has ever played the game at a local level will know that the usual protocol is that whilst the leagues provide the ref, each team is supposed to provide someone to run the line (usually one of the subs).  First time I was asked to do this I could not believe the abuse I got, even from my own team mates when I gave a decision against them. Whatever you give, you are either a cheat (in the eyes of the opposition) or letting your side down (if you give it in favour of the opponents).. This is ten times worse for the ref.

I admit there is a huge range of abilities in refs as there is in those actually playing but they should be given some credit for what is a thankless task.  Most of the refs that I have talked to would all much rather be playing but for a variety of reasons (injury, fitness, age, or simply no talent) cannot but still want to be involved in the game.  At least in grass roots level many of the refs do, or have played the game at a similar standard to that that they ref at.  I wonder why no pro footballers take up refereeing when they hang their boots up? It is about time the FA encouraged some ex players onto the ref circuit and refs committees.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, urban fox said:

Not me. While I admire what they do (despite sometimes atrocious decisions) I value my mental well being too much.

Anyone who has ever played the game at a local level will know that the usual protocol is that whilst the leagues provide the ref, each team is supposed to provide someone to run the line (usually one of the subs).  First time I was asked to do this I could not believe the abuse I got, even from my own team mates when I gave a decision against them. Whatever you give, you are either a cheat (in the eyes of the opposition) or letting your side down (if you give it in favour of the opponents).. This is ten times worse for the ref.

I admit there is a huge range of abilities in refs as there is in those actually playing but they should be given some credit for what is a thankless task.  Most of the refs that I have talked to would all much rather be playing but for a variety of reasons (injury, fitness, age, or simply no talent) cannot but still want to be involved in the game.  At least in grass roots level many of the refs do, or have played the game at a similar standard to that that they ref at.  I wonder why no pro footballers take up refereeing when they hang their boots up? It is about time the FA encouraged some ex players onto the ref circuit and refs committees.

It’s an interesting post. And in my opinion, it’s because nobody, of sound mind, actually wants to do it professionally. I did lads football for a bit when I was 17/18 and even that was horrendous. 

I mean yeah they might be the best we’ve got, but it’s a small pool of people to choose from who actually want to do it as a profession. If you wanted to be a professional ref, I think you could, if you started early enough and applied yourself to do well - through promotion across the referee levels etc. It isn’t a closed shop. 

9 hours ago, urban fox said:

When I managed my works team I occasionally ended up reffing or running the line and as you say a thankless task. 

One away game whilst running the line I flagged one of the other team for offside and he was at least 2 metres adrift the ref from their team ignored me and gave  the goal he scored so I strolled over and gave him the flag and told him to put somewhere he might find it useful. I refused to do either roles after that.

Horendous job at grassroots level.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Haha! Just came on here to post this!!!

I've been waiting for this day for years!

Am I missing something here? I don’t understand what’s going on?

Edited by Phube

38 minutes ago, Phube said:

Am I missing something here? I don’t understand what’s going on?

Sounds like somebody doesnt watch Peep Show! It's a classic line from the show. Can't for the life of me find a clip of it. Basically one of the characters plan to make it in life without working is to sell the headline Three-0 Walcott to the tabloids when Theo Walcott turns 30. This episode came out years ago and lots of hardcore fans have been counting down the day and today it arrives! This explanation has probably sucked any sort of humour out of it. You have to have watched the show.

Edited by Arriba Los Zorros
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1