Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Liamlcfc1

Ben Gibson - Burnley

15 hours ago, mozartfox said:

If Gibson goes to Burnley it will go into meltdown on here as we face Manure with Wes and Benny in tandem:ph34r:

I doubt Gibson will start even if we did get him. Otherwise Maguire should be playing, there would be no excuse that he is just getting back into training with the team - so would Gibson (or any other player we sign before the start of the season).

Question is why is he now available for a cheaper fee than he was in the last year it 2? Despite the hugely inflated market?

Maybe he's bit as good as first thought? 

If he was that much if a bargain then why are other clubs not queueing up for him? 

We may have been interested a while back but don't see an interest in the player now. 

2 minutes ago, Bablemikey said:

We conceded far too many goals last season, particularly set plays, and we have lost both goals created & scored with the departure of Mahrez. It’s too early to say with any confidence really but I’m not convinced at all that we have fully addressed those things yet.

We have, but not to the extend we should have. and we will need luck on our side in terms of keeping key players fit. 

If Maguire and Evans can play 90% of our games together, then I think we should do OK at the back, but one injury to one of those and we will really struggle.

Maddison will be absolutely key to our attacking success too, and it's a big mistake if we don't add another winger IMO, to help lessen that burden on him alone.

I'm disappointed, as I genuinely thought with Mahrez finally going, we would have a domino effect and we would really go out and make a splash in the market and show real intent to challenge for the top 6. That simply hasn't happened, and looks increasingly unlikely now after Puel's recent interview. 

Currently, with the business we've done and how other teams are shaping up, I fear that mid-table will be likely and perhaps even a struggle to reach that if we have any injuries to key players. 

3 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

We have, but not to the extend we should have. and we will need luck on our side in terms of keeping key players fit. 

If Maguire and Evans can play 90% of our games together, then I think we should do OK at the back, but one injury to one of those and we will really struggle.

Maddison will be absolutely key to our attacking success too, and it's a big mistake if we don't add another winger IMO, to help lessen that burden on him alone.

I'm disappointed, as I genuinely thought with Mahrez finally going, we would have a domino effect and we would really go out and make a splash in the market and show real intent to challenge for the top 6. That simply hasn't happened, and looks increasingly unlikely now after Puel's recent interview. 

Currently, with the business we've done and how other teams are shaping up, I fear that mid-table will be likely and perhaps even a struggle to reach that if we have any injuries to key players. 

If we go into the season without further additions then we’ll be inside the weakest 5 in the league imo. Not good.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

It's madness that our whole season depends on the fitness of Maddison and Maguire / Evans!

Agreed. One injury to maddison and our ability to create chances is gone, coupled with an injury to one of those centre half’s and were in a relegation battle.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

It's madness that our whole season depends on the fitness of Maddison and Maguire / Evans!

Hit the nail on the head. One injury to become one of the weakest in the league if we aren’t already. We have to buy more, find a way and make it happen. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wattolcfc said:

Agreed. One injury to maddison and our ability to create chances is gone, coupled with an injury to one of those centre half’s and were in a relegation battle.

Silva can play as a playmaker, just hasn't been able to show that aspect of his game. There were hints of it last season.

Agree with regards to the centre-back situation, but there's still almost a week left to conclude business.

And let's not forget we've fielded arguably weak centre-back pairings before in the Premier League (Morgan & Wasilewski).

14 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Silva can play as a playmaker, just hasn't been able to show that aspect of his game. There were hints of it last season.

Agree with regards to the centre-back situation, but there's still almost a week left to conclude business.

And let's not forget we've fielded arguably weak centre-back pairings before in the Premier League (Morgan & Wasilewski).

I would take 2015 Wes and Wasilewski over 2018 Wes and Benalouane any day of the week. I should be in utter disbelief that it’s exactly one week til Utd away first game of the season and that’s looking like our expected centre half pairing. Except I’m not, because this is Leicester. We needed to go out and buy two gold centre backs, I’m not even convinced by Evans. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TJB-fox said:

I would take 2015 Wes and Wasilewski over 2018 Wes and Benalouane any day of the week. I should be in utter disbelief that it’s exactly one week til Utd away first game of the season and that’s looking like our expected centre half pairing. Except I’m not, because this is Leicester. We needed to go out and buy two gold centre backs, I’m not even convinced by Evans. 

Maybe we've had some restrictions in place with regards to our wage structure that didn't/doesn't allow us to splash the cash that easily on two "gold centre-backs"?

And like I've said, even though he may not be fit or available yet, there's still a big chance we'll go for another centre-back in the next few days before the transfer window closes.

Personally, I'm done with this kind of panic mode deployed by some fans over the past few days. Let's see how it pans out on matchday.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

I have to admit that I have never been an admirer of Evans & remain sceptical both of his qualities & ability to stay fit & available I’m afraid. I hope to be convinced otherwise. 

Maddison does indeed look to be a quality addition I’d agree, but if he’s all we have to offer creatively it won’t be long before  teams shut him out of games as we saw them try to do with Mahrez. 

59 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

Question is why is he now available for a cheaper fee than he was in the last year it 2? Despite the hugely inflated market?

Maybe he's bit as good as first thought? 

If he was that much if a bargain then why are other clubs not queueing up for him? 

We may have been interested a while back but don't see an interest in the player now. 

I imagine Boro are willing to let Gibson go as he already gave them a year last season and another year in the Championship at his age is a bit of death knell to his career, his uncle owns the club so there will be some family sympathy to his situation.

I can't comment too much on Gibson as a player as I haven't seen enough of him but this time last year he was ahead of Maguire in the England squad and both players career have moved in an opposite trajectory when Maguire moved from his relegated club and Gibson didn't.

With Evan's flexibility in different positions and the injury he has just sustained it might be worth us getting in another centre half if the opportunity presents itself especially as Maguire could be sold at any time if someone makes an eye watering bid.

Morgan and Benalouane will almost certainly be released next season so the chance to bring in a 25yo who has flirted with the England team for a reasonable fee sounds like good business. I'm sure we could give Maguire, Evans and Gibson enough game time to keep them all happy this season with injuries, suspensions and tactical changes during a match. 

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Maybe we've had some restrictions in place with regards to our wage structure that didn't/doesn't allow us to splash the cash that easily on two "gold centre-backs"?

And like I've said, even though he may not be fit or available yet, there's still a big chance we'll go for another centre-back in the next few days before the transfer window closes.

Personally, I'm done with this kind of panic mode deployed by some fans over the past few days. Let's see how it pans out on matchday.

Typo, meant to say two good centre backs not two gold ones. I’m not panicking I’m just starting to get fed up at our transfer windows. Window after window has been shutting over the past several years and were going into the season knowing we’re short in certain areas. Although it may not necessarily be harming us it just seems like wasted opportunities. 

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

One things for sure, Burnley know a defender when they see one. He'll do well there.

They play defensive football like 'Boro did when they were in the league. Their defenders look good because they get covered by their team mates. We're all at sea half the time... only time we've been covered properly was the title season and it made Morgan and Huth look unreal.

14 minutes ago, Babylon said:

They play defensive football like 'Boro did when they were in the league. Their defenders look good because they get covered by their team mates. We're all at sea half the time... only time we've been covered properly was the title season and it made Morgan and Huth look unreal.

I know what you're saying but they still teach proper defending. Gibson would be a solid signing.