Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
cityfanlee23

End of season Puel poll

Should Claude Puel be given another season?  

506 members have voted

1. 1. Should Claude Puel be given another season?

37 minutes ago, ithuriel said:

Wrong, a lot changed, we moved the ball at pace, looked up for the games and pressed from the front and damn the defence.

Previous to that we looked sluggish, far to much back passing and cross field balls of poor quality and sitting back with the intention of holding the ball.

Pressing is something encouraged against the top 6.

Passes were quick as there were forward passes available and players in space.

If these games had been against Huddersfield and Watford it would have been the same turgid football.

Don’t be fooled. Nothing has changed. If we stick with Puel all of the reasons 90% of people voted for him to be sacked will return.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, peterborofox said:

This poll being 50 50 is a joke to be honest.

How fickle are fans?? Beat a ten man poor Arsenal team and then blow a two goal lead at Spurd....and that changes peoples minds??

Ridiculous. People need to sort themselves out

Yeh i was thinking similar as after the west ham game, 95% wanted him gone. So 45% have changed their mind on the back of beating a poor 10 man arsenal and throwing away a 2 goal lead against spurs. Too many negatives with him in my opinion and his cons definitely outweigh his pros. I don't like the idea of turning into Watford and having a new manager every few months but I also don't like the idea of having the wrong person in charge. Throw everything at Benitez in my opinion. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brucey said:

Hasn't the football been generally turgid against mid-table sides since around the halfway point of the title-winning season? It hasn't changed under 3 managers.... 

Teams outside the top 6 generally just sit deep against us and stop us playing and have done since we won the league. Claudio, shakey and now Puel didn't seem to know how to play against teams that played this way and never had a plan b. But I think the last 3 months has been worse than anything we saw under shakey and Claudio. Losing 5-0 to palace is one of the worst results we've suffered in my lifetime. Should never lose by that many to a bottom half team, regardless of having a man sent off 

3 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

Teams outside the top 6 generally just sit deep against us and stop us playing and have done since we won the league. Claudio, shakey and now Puel didn't seem to know how to play against teams that played this way and never had a plan b. But I think the last 3 months has been worse than anything we saw under shakey and Claudio. Losing 5-0 to palace is one of the worst results we've suffered in my lifetime. Should never lose by that many to a bottom half team, regardless of having a man sent off 

I had the misfortune of being there at Palace away, although I still think the run of 9 games or whatever it was without a goal under Claudio was worse.

The same problem persisting under 3 managers suggest that the issue more likely lies with personnel (RB/CB in particular). One of these days, we will need to finally allow a manager enough time to bring in new players for those spots and see if that changes things.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, elvisfmcfly said:

Some fans are unfathomable! Can’t get anymore fickle than that! And I don’t even see a reason for the swing back either!? 

Because it’s ok to concede five goals as long as you score four, perhaps? Which of course it total idiocy.

I really want to say yes (voted yes because there's no in-between option) because I think we need to adapt our style, and I'm worried going after a Dyche will revert us back to being absolutely overrun for 80 minutes of a game. However, I just don't know what his position with the players is like, and with the fans it's not particularly good. Feel like it could work, but I'm just not sure.

Whatever the club decide I'll happily back because I can see it going either way.

Edited by Beechey

I voted ‘in’, because that’s the sensible thing.

But I’ve now realised that I fūcking hate top flight football. A sacking would obviously hasten our spiral to the Championship and, maybe with crossed fingers, League 1 - so I’m now totally up for yet another change in manager. Get him out and send our best players with him. And sack the board.

• Haha 1

Fickle bloody lot!

First poll showed around 60 odd percent said keep him, second poll showed 92 percent wanted rid of.

We now almost have a 50 - 50 split!

Just shows how a difference in play or results can have an effect.

Let's have a poll after every game next season, could be interesting. :facepalm:

15 hours ago, foxes21 said:

Positives of keeping Puel:

- He wants to build something long term

- He’s trying to adapt our style which has been nullified to an extent by teams that park the bus. 

- He promotes youth players. We have a few who have looked good for the U23s and could make the step up.

- He’s identified the deadwood we need to get rid of by shipping out the likes of Slimani, Ulloa, Musa etc in January (albeit on loan)

Negatives of keeping Puel: 

- Persisiting with players like Morgan even though Dragovic has performed a lot better.

- Constantly chopping and changing the team EVERY WEEK. The team sheet changes every week, you can’t put that down to just experimentation.

- Tried to change our style of play COMPLETELY. (Not just the counter attacking side, but the intensity, aggressive tempo, direct attacking play has been obsolete for the majority of Puel’s reign). 

- He might persist with his very boring possession based style that is easy to counter and gets us nowhere.

- Can we trust his philosophy and will the recruitment staff be able to bring in the right players.

- Do our best players want to play for him? We can’t afford to lose the likes of Maguire, Ndidi, Vardy on top of Mahrez. 

Conclusion:

The negatives outweigh the positives. There is no reason why a new manager can’t replicate the positives listed above... But that isn’t a given and we could end up with Pardiola knowing Rudders! So who the fuch knows! 

The most disappointing thing for me about Puel’s reign is he tried to change us to a possession based style and completely abandoned our previous style. 

The machine isn’t broken, we just need to add more cogs, there is no need to dismantle it completely like Puel has tried to do. As shown in the past two games, we know what our strengths are. Build on them!

Good balanced post mate, I'd also add recruitment to the positives as he has only made one signing and Diabate looks quality and a snip at 2 million.

If  the good performances and results were spread out over the last 6 months then I would be more inclined to keep him, but after finding the right formula at the end of last year, failing to rediscover that form in the following 4 months suggests it was luck rather than judgement.

It is hard to read anything into the last 2 games, Arsenal were a man down early on and yesterday was just ridiculous, the facts are we finished 9th, which is our third highest finish in the premier league. It was only 47 points. 1 less than Peter Taylor got  in his first season in charge but the same number of points and position as MON got in his first season in the prem.

The problem is this season has a lot more similarities with Taylor's season, with points picked up early on saving a relegation fight. We won 4 of our last 19 games in Taylor's first season and we have won 5 of our last 19 under Puel, a stat very similar to Puel at Southampton last season who have just avoided relegation. You finish a season that badly then you are going to struggle the next season. West Brom, Stoke, Southampton all finished last season badly and started this season badly.

Of course none of this means anything, Swansea finished last season with 13 points from their last 15 games and got relegated.

If we are going to sack Puel, let's just do it now, get it over and done with and prepare for next season properly. If we aren't then we need to show our intent, back him strongly with a good early signing and everyone get behind him.

Maybe he has learned a lot in the last few months, failure is a great teacher, maybe with a pre-season and few more of his type of players he can turn this round. I won't be holding my breath. If I had my finger on the button I would sack him now, but I don't and I don't know the feeling inside the club with the players and the rest of the back room staff.

Edited by Captain...