Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
cityfanlee23

End of season Puel poll

Should Claude Puel be given another season?  

506 members have voted

1. 1. Should Claude Puel be given another season?

Whatever the fans think, it's pretty clear the owners will keep Puel around for awhile. There is a cost to changing managers and the case against him isnt strong enough to pull the trigger yet. Looking forward to not listening to rants of "<name> out!"

(insert name of next manager).

2 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I genuinely don't know. It isn't an obvious one to answer looking from the outside. For me it's largely down to how his relationship is with the players. While we do need a rebuild, you're never going to do it without the majority of the squad on your side.

For me, it hinges on that.

This for me as well, I can't make a decision because I don't have enough information. If I could speak to some key first team players to gauge their opinion then that would swing it for me one way or the other.

What I will say about Puel he has done a lot of things I like. He's given this squad ample opportunity to prove themselves to him. In January his only incoming transfer was a rough diamond for buttons in Diabate. A poor manager can't spend the transfer budget quickly enough and Puel kept his tinder dry for the summer. He also attempted to offload the deadwood albeit most of them could only be loaned out as there were no willing buyers. A lot have criticised him for getting rid of both Ulloa and Slimani but I supported that as it's clear their time is up here and it paved the way for Iheanacho to start more.

We've been linked with Pereira who is rated the 10th best right back in the world by 442 magazine. This is probably the best right back in the world who would be obtainable for us. I think Puel would spend the club's money like his own and our buys would either be players who he thinks comes in and improves the first XI or young rough diamonds.

Shakey bought Iheanacho for £25m which gave us six strikers and then didn't play him. He also bought 29yo Iborra for £12m who came here as a squad player. These sort of buys are criminal IMO. I feel Puel squad players would be the best academy players, young bought players with big potential or players who are already here, I can't see him spending good money on older players to supplement the squad like Iborra was.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, toddybad said:

The last two games have shown the previous lackadaisical performances were down to the players imo. I'm interested to see what he'd do with his own team - a new cb, rb and number 10, as well as the Mahrez replacement. I can only assume he doesn't rate dragovic so let's see who he is interested in bringing in. 

.....surprised you say that!!

I believe what has happened is that the owners cant make up their mind what is best to do in this situation. They have approached the players and Puel to find out what is causing this disconnect. The players say they no longer wish to play it around at the back and to move the ball forward quicker (see comments by Vardy). Puel states that, that is, what he has always wanted to do. Quite clearly that is not what has been happening. The sight of  Puel kicking imaginary leaves in his technical area and failing to react to the positive play on the pitch as if he was not in charge of the situation.. The Arsenal performance was a demonstration coming from the players of how they want to play, todays play was a continuation of that.

Vichai, has, to now to ask Puel, if he wishes to continue in this way or does this style contradicts his vision of what he wants the team to be. 

The easy option for Vichai is to retain Puel and hope he can work with the players in view of the many changes that are going to be made next season. Can Puel bend and stop being so dogmatic........I do not think so but I will bet at this moment he is making all the right noises for the owners.

If you are referring to todays game Dragovic is out injured.

I was talking more generally re dragovic.

It's hard to know why the sudden improvement. I think we'd all agree we want to see Leicester pressing. Let's press and attack like Liverpool. If he can get use don't that, keep puel. If he can't, don't. Only those within the club know the truth so we have no option but to watch and hope they get it right.

24 minutes ago, Ricey said:

Madness that 35% of people have changed their mind to stick with Puel after a win against a team with 0 points away from home in 2018 (and 10 men for 85 minutes) and a 5-4 defeat.

If you voted out after West Ham, what has changed your mind?

Agreed. Its very very strange

25 minutes ago, Ricey said:

Madness that 35% of people have changed their mind to stick with Puel after a win against a team with 0 points away from home in 2018 (and 10 men for 85 minutes) and a 5-4 defeat.

We have a lot of fickle fans. 

• Like 2

His style of play is negative, these last two games are the players playing for themselves not for the manager the sooner he buggers off the better. Probably heard he is going hence they have played the way they are playing 

2 hours ago, cityfanlee23 said:

75% of our defence are championship standard.... we've had injuries all over the shop. 

If that's black and white to you then I'm bloody glad you'll never have any influence on the club. 

.....the injuries have been recent. The defence has not been as strong as they had been but Puel,s change of style has affected their balance. We do need to take a look at the back four just don't tell the Spurs they lost out to a bunch of  so called "Championship defenders" when we won the league. You know how mad they can get!!!!!

27 minutes ago, Ricey said:

Exactly this. 

One good performance should not be swaying people's opinions! 

The last two games have been perfect for our players! Big pitches with lots of space and time on the ball.

It's when the teams below 6th come up against us that we struggle and lets face it they're the teams we need to be picking up points against as it's rare that we'll get a win against any of the top 6. 

Against the teams below 6th we have looked shocking and clueless as to how to break them down. 

So the poll is about 50/50 at the moment which is similar to the first poll result. 2 bad performances and 2 good performances since and we've come full circle.

I reckon the owners are struggling to decide what to do, just as we are. It would explain the contradictory information from usually reliable ITKs and journos - he's been varyingly described as gone at end of season > staying > having no future > having 3 games to save his job > staying again. At least they will have the first hand info from the players and staff to make the right decision. All we can do is trust.

• Like 1

Despite what this forum would have you believe, we've had much worse managers than Puel and should he be sacked there's no guarantee that we could upgrade. Our season ended when we threw away a golden opportunity against Chelsea in March. Before then it had been ok although not great. Since then we've lost 3 games against teams who could guarantee survival with a win, we were already 1 down in terms of motivation so I really don't think we should look too much into it.

I'd be inclined to keep the guy, I get the sense that for a percentage of Leicester fans that nothing will ever be quite good enough. You expect far far too much.

59 minutes ago, Ricey said:

This is Foxes Talk

Is all you need to know

2 hours ago, foxes21 said:

Positives of keeping Puel:

- He wants to build something long term

- He’s trying to adapt our style which has been nullified to an extent by teams that park the bus. 

- He promotes youth players. We have a few who have looked good for the U23s and could make the step up.

- He’s identified the deadwood we need to get rid of by shipping out the likes of Slimani, Ulloa, Musa etc in January (albeit on loan)

Negatives of keeping Puel: 

- Persisiting with players like Morgan even though Dragovic has performed a lot better.

- Constantly chopping and changing the team EVERY WEEK. The team sheet changes every week, you can’t put that down to just experimentation.

- Tried to change our style of play COMPLETELY. (Not just the counter attacking side, but the intensity, aggressive tempo, direct attacking play has been obsolete for the majority of Puel’s reign). 

- He might persist with his very boring possession based style that is easy to counter and gets us nowhere.

- Can we trust his philosophy and will the recruitment staff be able to bring in the right players.

- Do our best players want to play for him? We can’t afford to lose the likes of Maguire, Ndidi, Vardy on top of Mahrez. 

Conclusion:

The negatives outweigh the positives. There is no reason why a new manager can’t replicate the positives listed above... But that isn’t a given and we could end up with Pardiola knowing Rudders! So who the fuch knows! 

The most disappointing thing for me about Puel’s reign is he tried to change us to a possession based style and completely abandoned our previous style. 

The machine isn’t broken, we just need to add more cogs, there is no need to dismantle it completely like Puel has tried to do. As shown in the past two games, we know what our strengths are. Build on them!

Pretty fair assessment.

Just to add to your positives about Puel - you need to ask yourself why he is promoting youth players, as you put it. Is it because these youth players are there on merit (talented and mature enough for Premier League matches, better or ready to challenge our more experienced regular starting XI crop, the manager trying to send a message to some of our older players) or because we have nobody else to rely upon (because of injuries and suspensions)?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for giving youngsters a chance to shine - yet we've had plenty of opportunities to give Barnes, Thomas, Choudhury et al. more minutes on the pitch earlier into the second half of the season, as we were practically safe weeks ago. A short cameo in injury time here or time on the bench there doesn't make you a youth wonder manager.

I really don't think it has been our last 3 managers. Beginning to think that we have a squad that show up when they feel like it. Just seems they don't put in a performance untill they are questioned about their attitude. Fuched over Ranieri, Skakey and now Puel. Think we made a big mistake by paying mediocre players huge salaries and now can't get rid of. Also think we need to stop paying good money for unknown or has been talent. We got lucky with Vards & Mahrez but hasn't seemed to have worked since. 

Today's game the back line looked so lacking and slow. Need a complete overall there. Midfield without Ndidi looks really suspect. With Ndidi looks suspect. 

Think the problem was when we won the league to try to keep the squad together. All of Man U days with their success they still moved players on and improved. We let it all get old, stale and slow.  Still not sure what to do with Puel. Just feel if we have the same players it will still be the same with another manager until they are safe then as Frankie once said "RELAX". Could not help myself sorry guys. Lol

10 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Pretty fair assessment.

Just to add to your positives about Puel - you need to ask yourself why he is promoting youth players, as you put it. Is it because these youth players are there on merit (talented and mature enough for Premier League matches, better or ready to challenge our more experienced regular starting XI crop, the manager trying to send a message to some of our older players) or because we have nobody else to rely upon (because of injuries and suspensions)?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for giving youngsters a chance to shine - yet we've had plenty of opportunities to give Barnes, Thomas, Choudhury et al. more minutes on the pitch earlier into the second half of the season, as we were practically safe weeks ago. A short cameo in injury time here or time on the bench there doesn't make you a youth wonder manager.

Hmm good point... I guess you’re right, the youth players were on the bench out of necessity. It is a bit telling that they didn’t get more minutes as you say, surely they would have done if Puel trusts them and is ‘experimenting’ with the squad..

Whatever happens I hope the likes of Hughes, Choudhury, Thomas & Barnes are in the squad next season. They’ve all shown they’ve got something about them.