Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
cityfanlee23

End of season Puel poll

Should Claude Puel be given another season?  

506 members have voted

1. 1. Should Claude Puel be given another season?

I am completely undecided. Changes in the playing style and personnel are desperately needed and Puel has shown some signs of knowing what needs to be done. Whether he has done enough and whether he has the personality to sell some of the bigger calls that are on the horizon I'm not sure. 

I have no idea what the board will do either, they are probably as undecided as me. Maybe Rudkin tries for the umpteenth time to get Wagner and if he knocks us back we still with Puel. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lancyclaret said:

Carvahal is the man....he reckons he would have had Swansea challenging for a Europa League spot if he had been given the whole season.:D

Yea, I hear Burnley are sounding him out as I type this.....lol

51 minutes ago, kingfox said:

How can so many fans be blind at the fact that nothing has changed.

He hasn't realised anything in a matter of two games, the players had licence to attack not because of Claude Puel, it was because of the opposition we faced. Arsenal and Spurs gave us the space to play, that's why there was a considerable difference of how we attacked, you then look at us against the likes of Southampton, West Ham and Newcastle and it was an entirely different story for a reason, when teams sit in against us the football is slow and boring and we struggle to break teams down, if Arsenal and Spurs were defensively organised then I'm sure we would've struggled to break them down too.

We set up exactly the same against Arsenal and Spurs as we did against West Ham, the only thing that was different was the space the opposition gave us.

Do you really give a shit what the media think? Every time we've acted it's been in the best interests of the club. The position we finished in was satisfying, the football on display wasn't. We are an ambitious club but Puel from what we've seen is not an ambitious manager, especially in terms of his footballing philosophy, I fully believe we need and can do better.

There was zero attacking intent against West Ham, Southampton or Newcastle. We just didn't bother trying to score- our attackers were far too static, and we made it easy for them to sit back and contain us.

The Arsenal and Spurs performances were the polar opposite- we looked forward and moved the ball quickly at every opportunity. We pressed the ball rather than sitting off. The intensity was there, players were moving off the ball and creating their own space.

And no, I don't care what the media think. That wasn't my point- potential new managers might.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ted Maul said:

There was zero attacking intent against West Ham, Southampton or Newcastle. We just didn't bother trying to score- our attackers were far too static, and we made it easy for them to sit back and contain us.

The Arsenal and Spurs performances were the polar opposite- we looked forward and moved the ball quickly at every opportunity. We pressed the ball rather than sitting off. The intensity was there, players were moving off the ball and creating their own space.

And no, I don't care what the media think. That wasn't my point- potential new managers might.

But you are missing the point mate.

Those three teams all did a job on us defensively, you can add Stoke, Swansea and Bournemouth to that list too. There was a reason why we had zero attacking intent, because those teams didn't allow us the space to play. There was a lack of forward thinking and movement because those teams suffocated our attackers. They came to do a job of sit back, be organised, be compact and frustrate and unsurprisingly it worked.

The Arsenal and Spurs performances were polar opposite for a reason, look how much space they allowed us, Mahrez, Silva, Iheanacho and Vardy were given time on the ball, they were given the space to play, teams like West Ham, Southampton and Newcastle didn't give them that. We exploited Arsenal's weakness which is their defence, we knew they'd make errors and we capitalised, they also lost 3-1 away to Swansea and look where they are now, against Arsenal you could clearly see why they hadn't won an away league game in 2018. Yesterday was a defensively poor game from both teams, just like Arsenal, Spurs gave us the space to play. You look at three of ours goals yesterday for instance, Mahrez's came through about three defensive errors from Spurs, Iheanacho got away from Wanyama for his and Spurs gave him the space and time to smash it top corner and Vardy's second started through Mahrez getting tonnes of space, Spurs didn't close him down, one pass and Vardy was through. 

The likes of West Ham, Southampton, Newcastle gave us none of that, hence why our performances against those teams were poor and the football was slow and turgid.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kingfox said:

Those three teams all did a job on us defensively, you can add Stoke, Swansea and Bournemouth to that list too. There was a reason why we had zero attacking intent, because those teams didn't allow us the space to play. There was a lack of forward thinking and movement because those teams suffocated our attackers. They came to do a job of sit back, be organised, be compact and frustrate and unsurprisingly it worked.

The Arsenal and Spurs performances were polar opposite for a reason, look how much space they allowed us, Mahrez, Silva, Iheanacho and Vardy were given time on the ball, they were given the space to play, teams like West Ham, Southampton and Newcastle didn't give them that. We exploited Arsenal's weakness which is their defence, we knew they'd make errors and we capitalised, they also lost 3-1 away to Swansea and look where they are now, against Arsenal you could clearly see why they hadn't won an away league game in 2018. Yesterday was a defensively poor game from both teams, just like Arsenal, Spurs gave us the space to play. You look at three of ours goals yesterday for instance, Mahrez's came through about three defensive errors from Spurs, Iheanacho got away from Wanyama for his and Spurs gave him the space and time to smash it top corner and Vardy's second started through Mahrez getting tonnes of space, Spurs didn't close him down, one pass and Vardy was through. 

The likes of West Ham, Southampton, Newcastle gave us none of that, hence why our performances against those teams were poor and the football was slow and turgid.

You can credit the opposition as much as you want to, it‘s just sad to see we threw games away one after the other in the space of three, four months.

I can understand an opposition being clever and able to „nullify“ our attack or midfield once or twice, but we‘re talking regular occurrences during a run of seven, eight, nine or even more straight matches here.

If you as the manager can‘t learn from these mistakes repeatedly and commit the same tactical errors or make questionable substitutions that don‘t help us going forward, then the blame‘s on you.

I think Puel should get at least till Christmas and see how things are going, as this squad needs trimming and more quality added.

All changing manager does is give players like Simpson Morgan and Fuchs,1 more season before it’s realised they are no longer good enough.

And lifelines to players out of contention like Musa,Benny,James,Ulloa who we know need moving on.

Let Puel make these changes now it’s needed.

Maguire needs a whole new back line and partnerships take time hopefully this can be addressed in the summer as our midfield and attacking options are fine.

Im quite optimistic about next season, we just need to find a plan B to beat the teams who park the bus.

11 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

You can credit the opposition as much as you want to, it‘s just sad to see we threw games away one after the other in the space of three, four months.

I can understand an opposition being clever and able to „nullify“ our attack or midfield once or twice, but we‘re talking regular occurrences during a run of seven, eight, nine or even more straight matches here.

If you as the manager can‘t learn from these mistakes repeatedly and commit the same tactical errors or make questionable substitutions that don‘t help us going forward, then the blame‘s on you.

All those teams we played all played to a similar style, Puel stuck to his idea of possession football against those sides and it was never going to work. When teams come and sit with the gameplan of being organised and too frustrate you, you can have all the possession you want, if they don't give you the space then you'll create fvck all. Those teams limited us and the only option was to pass backwards and sideways. 

Then you come to games like Arsenal and Spurs, two teams who were defensively open and look what happens.

His philosophy is possession football but we struggle to play that style against the likes of Southampton, Newcastle and West Ham, when it comes to playing the likes of Arsenal and Spurs where we don't get the lion share of possession, it's better for us.

• Thanks 1

On 13/05/2018 at 17:48, Milo said:

Agree to an extent - but dangerous game to play, unfortunately. 

He is fairly incomprehensible and dour when he talks, and I think the team have reflected this on the pitch. 

Great start, shocking middle, good end - and I don’t know what to think. :blink:

I'm not sure the end was good, shipping 13 goals in 4 games is terrible.

Utterly amazed how many can flip flop because of two good performances by the team. Two performances that were the polar opposite of everything Puel has been seen to have done at both Southampton and now Leicester. Very odd thought process.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, l444ry said:

Utterly amazed how many can flip flop because of two good performances by the team. Two performances that were the polar opposite of everything Puel has been seen to have done at both Southampton and now Leicester. Very odd thought process.  

Disagree. 

Beginning of Puel’s appointment was good - and a massive improvement on what Shakey had been giving us. 

Middle section was the most depressing, turgid, dull and life sucking experience I have experienced in over 30 years of supporting the team. (Yes we’ve had worse teams, but not as good a bunch of players being so bad). 

Last two two games have been enjoyable. We played fast, attacking and pro-active football. 

Manager is dull and incomprehensible. If we play like we played at the beginning and end then I’m happy. 

If if we play like we played in the long cold dull winter of 2017/8, then we’re fvcked. 

We have a poor defence and an average midfield. None of which are massively Puels fault. 

I don’t like the guy at all, btw.

but if we play like we played at the beginning and end of his reign so far...dabbling with Europe and two good cup runs then I’ll take it.

Edited by Milo

7 hours ago, Ted Maul said:

I'm honestly not sure, but we've played some brilliant attacking football over the last couple of games.

I agree and I know it seems like ages ago but the performances against Southampton away, Newcastle, away, Everton home, Chelsea  away etc were absolutely sublime, and we showed grit and fight to grind out wins against Spurs and Burnley, and draw against Man Utd.

I'm not turning blind eye to the shockers that were West Ham and Palace and pretty much Feb onwards but it seems like a lot if people forgot how goods we were at one point. Chelsea away was brilliant, the way we completely dominated them until the red card was so pleasing to watch. I never thought I'd see a City side go to the likes of Chelsea and make Chelsea look like the away team.

I think Puel has shown signs he can produce exciting football. Just need to be more consistent.  Another stat that goes unnoticed is that we have scored more goals than everyone outside top 6. Not bad for a supposed boring dull team.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Koke said:

I agree and I know it seems like ages ago but the performances against Southampton away, Newcastle, away, Everton home, Chelsea  away etc were absolutely sublime, and we showed grit and fight to grind out wins against Spurs and Burnley, and draw against Man Utd.

I'm not turning blind eye to the shockers that were West Ham and Palace and pretty much Feb onwards but it seems like a lot if people forgot how goods we were at one point. Chelsea away was brilliant, the way we completely dominated them until the red card was so pleasing to watch. I never thought I'd see a City side go to the likes of Chelsea and make Chelsea look like the away team.

I think Puel has shown signs he can produce exciting football. Just need to be more consistent.  Another stat that goes unnoticed is that we have scored more goals than everyone outside top 6. Not bad for a supposed boring dull team.

Really?? 

Blimey - good stat, thanks

57 minutes ago, kingfox said:

All those teams we played all played to a similar style, Puel stuck to his idea of possession football against those sides and it was never going to work. When teams come and sit with the gameplan of being organised and too frustrate you, you can have all the possession you want, if they don't give you the space then you'll create fvck all. Those teams limited us and the only option was to pass backwards and sideways. 

Then you come to games like Arsenal and Spurs, two teams who were defensively open and look what happens.

His philosophy is possession football but we struggle to play that style against the likes of Southampton, Newcastle and West Ham, when it comes to playing the likes of Arsenal and Spurs where we don't get the lion share of possession, it's better for us.

That’s why it was crazy in letting both Slimani and Ulloa go out on loan, if things ain’t happening you need a target man

All those teams that stifled us knew they had nothing to fear from balls being crossed in the box, the only way possible to break them down was through the middle, and we just don’t have a De Bruyne on our books.

Very poor from Puel

On 13 May 2018 at 17:44, cityfanlee23 said:

75% of our defence are championship standard.... we've had injuries all over the shop. 

If that's black and white to you then I'm bloody glad you'll never have any influence on the club. 

Really?

Kasper,Maguire,Dragovic for starters disprove your argument.And he seems to rate Chilwell.

And you seem to forget he has had a transfer window and I cannot believe he was not capable of getting as a minimum a couple of players in on loan to shore us up.I am guessing you are one of those who has changed his mind after the Arsenal game, how many seem to have forgot we actually lost 4 out of our last 6 on the back of an already crap run of form.

The blokes a car crash but let's not worry, he can blow all the money we get for Mahrez plus the transfer kitty before we have to get rid 10 games in next season.

The likes of Maguire and possibly Ndidi won't stick around to be managed by this chap.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Yes but 5th worst goals against, so actually more of a defence problem than attack over the whole season.

Um, yes. We have a really poor defence and keeper(s). 

No real shock, tbh. But scoring lots of goals was a bit of a surprising stat. 

3 hours ago, kingfox said:

If Puel can sort home form against poor sides I’m not sure there are many who would or should moan.

If he gets he chop, those 6 home games against likes of Palace, Swansea, Stoke etc will cost him dear (though he’ll be quids in so he’ll get over it pretty quickly)

At first I was a little tentative but things had to change so I didn't turn against him.

Then I was in a dilemma but there were a lot of people spouting off about a pipe dream managers.

Then I was doubtful he could do this but thought better the devil you know and give him even more time.

Now I've decided I'm definitely in a quandary.

There's a lot of work to do now! Mahrez is probably already gone, players need shipping out and bringing in but I don't want an overhaul.

If he's not sacked by next week I'm getting 100% behind him and whom ever he brings in.

10 hours ago, Larry_LCFC said:

What a ridiculous result. How do you shift from 66% to 48% out in the space of a win against 10 men and another loss. Deluded.

No more then your Idea,that changing your opinion is a weak Option.

I Want,and  always wanted Puel to stay ...

I never once thought or think in Football-terms that those should Want Puel Out are deluded,

or enstranged wierdos,everybody from their individual Perspective,have that right to 

Gives their Views,Just Like Politics or any other topic...

I am an Puel in,because this Forum Like any other is No Measure,of all the General thought

or opinion in the terraces. ITS only one Platform..

I for one believed since Ranieri,the Players Attitude has Been poor,the odd great Game,

Whether WE won or lost ,was for me, from my Perspective confirmed.

I aM Not a Pearsonite,but If He had stayed and WE had the Same success,

I doubt the Players,would or buckled,or would of been allowed to build Up any

Unproffesional pettulance. That in Turn,would Not mean we would of Not

Experienced mistakes,Errors on Gameday, also this Squad would still have had

Bad Games and results,but they wouldnt of dared to let that needle of

Effort Go into the red....I dont,and wont believe that the good days,

were Not down to His influence and in some conspiracy,the players took

Control,on those top Performances.

You See I do believe in Sport in the "Moment in time" strength of of belief,confidence and

Recognising Chance. ITS a human trait ...ITS a Challenge for a Team and Individual to

recognise that discipline of togetherness and Showing and Proving flexability and being

Able to addapt are a Major necessity  in Team Sport.

In individual single Sport,those needed characteristics  are still There,but have their variants.

An Individual cant Afford to Go on a "Blame" crusade.

A topside,even those who have their childish,petulant,imature outbursts,have

Real (Not cosmetic) strong group of characteristics,who opinions for the Team,

Back with performances,1st for themselves then the Manager,anybody who

Drifts from that,get smacked down from the Different cliques from within.

On Gameday..No Matter what the difference ( and they exsist), a quality,Classic,

and mentally strong Player/Players will pull together.

The difference between our after title seasons,our Players lost that mental Drive of thought

and discipline. Even Chelsea/Mancity,who also Fell Off,plus the other 4+ top sides,

Keep their internal Ethos going,Despite Manager change.

4-6 of our Players went over,certain boundaries,and there was Nobody internal,

Within Player Groups/original LCFC Management staff/single Players/new Bosses

that had that Very strong characteristics or strength, to kick ass, or simply be

respected for recognising need of Change...

Sorry but for me,ITS the Players who have let the Fans down over 15+ Games this season

and ditto Last season. Not forgetting Puel actually kept Most of the B.Room staff,where

Ranieris 2nd season He Dismantled the B.Room staff,the total Ethos of Training/medical cover,

thats the reason I Personally didnt Back him towards the end of the season,in His

Last Games...but it was the Players Lack of discipline,and effort that I saw as being far worse,

than all Things Ranieris/Shakespeare.

Thats one reason,of all the original Players,I only saw in everyone of His Games,with Errors,

mistakes and mishaps.... Vardy still delivered that Ethos of Leicester...

with Effort,No fear, Attitude and aptitude to trying to Take on Change.

Like G.Cross,S.Walsh,before him ....

.... Jamie Vardy is in His foxes-era my Mr Leicester city.

Back to Puel...keep him,lets See what now He can develope/rebuild and create.

He will have a totally new Blume-Print,He will keep who He Wants.

In these very Last 2 Games, he May have seen and realisiert,what Hes got,and what He will need,

and how he should go Forward. 

Despite Fans suggestions, and real possibile candidates Put Forward,everyone of them will need

time,and that Special Instant Translation of ideas,to addapt what He actually  has within the squad,

what He can use,to what He might have ,then will need,then the Connections to get!!

If the owners so decide to Release Puel,I will Back any new coach-Management group...

But If they are silly and dawdle through   this month,I would lose total respect for them.

If they decide to keep him,and give him and Planque  with/without Appleton.

I Hope Appleton does stay.

Then all Descission, moves, Transfer Handling, squad/Player Support and Brief,will be

Fully supported by me,He has the closed season Carte-blanche,what ever Players He then

selects  in pre-season, then 1st 6-8 Games of next season.  Plus 1st Cup Games.

Unless something really goes Skew-wiff, that Period He,or any other Manager will have,

before ,I would think of turning my Back on him....

Whereas, If Fans in General/normal banter Put their critic and discuss,negative opinions,

Fair enough,but If any  Go from today,through to end of September, on a delerious,imature

Negative Crusade against,Manager or Player ,My thought/opinion ist

would Not be writable or postable.

Again... Unless there is a real fk Up,a Summer Transfer of  gross-failure or non action.

And start the new season,without at least 2 new Players.

Let me say now,that does Not mean ,If Simpson/Morgan are selected,I would rage myself

Off the Radar. It will be effort,Attitude ,and 80% uplift on better perormances ,compared 5fold to

our miserable  Presentation,,  this Part of 2018, that will have me on the swingometer.

And willing to Play the Henker/exe'cuteur even a miserable Bourreau..

Enjoy the coming Up, trailers , trials, ecapades and journey,through this summer..:scarf:

Edited by fuchsntf

1 hour ago, Ian S said:

Really?

Kasper,Maguire,Dragovic for starters disprove your argument.And he seems to rate Chilwell.

And you seem to forget he has had a transfer window and I cannot believe he was not capable of getting as a minimum a couple of players in on loan to shore us up.I am guessing you are one of those who has changed his mind after the Arsenal game, how many seem to have forgot we actually lost 4 out of our last 6 on the back of an already crap run of form.

The blokes a car crash but let's not worry, he can blow all the money we get for Mahrez plus the transfer kitty before we have to get rid 10 games in next season.

The likes of Maguire and possibly Ndidi won't stick around to be managed by this chap.

I'm talking about defenders not the goalkeeper clearly. 

And chilwell isn't premier league standard. Maguire is, and dragovic doesn't get a game ahead of Morgan. 

Therefore of our 4 defenders we have 1 (maguire) that is premier league standard. 

31 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

I'm talking about defenders not the goalkeeper clearly. 

And chilwell isn't premier league standard. Maguire is, and dragovic doesn't get a game ahead of Morgan. 

Therefore of our 4 defenders we have 1 (maguire) that is premier league standard. 

So you make excuses for the manager re a championship defence but make no mention of why he selects Morgan over Dragovic  who clearly is premiership quality or why he did not bring anyone in.

And sorry about my mistake but I always thought goalkeepers were part of a defence.

Just now, Ian S said:

So you make excuses for the manager re a championship defence but make no mention of why he selects Morgan over Dragovic  who clearly is premiership quality or why he did not bring anyone in.

And sorry about my mistake but I always thought goalkeepers were part of a defence.

The last 3 managers have been too scared to replace Morgan or even consider dropping him. Look into that as you will. But of our starting back 4 only 1 of them isn't a championship player. 

Goalkeepers are part of the defence but I'm talking specifically about defenders.