Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
cityfanlee23

End of season Puel poll

Should Claude Puel be given another season?  

506 members have voted

1. 1. Should Claude Puel be given another season?

Not another fecking poll.

If we are going for Benitez, I'd still go for him to be honest but something has changed because the last two games have been like chalk and cheese compared to what we have been like for the last few months.

Either the manager has altered his style or the players have stepped up, so it gives the owners something to think about.

8 minutes ago, toddybad said:

The last two games have shown the previous lackadaisical performances were down to the players imo. I'm interested to see what he'd do with his own team - a new cb, rb and number 10, as well as the Mahrez replacement. I can only assume he doesn't rate dragovic so let's see who he is interested in bringing in. 

Get us relegated. 

4 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

Or they could have been on the fence like I've been for a while. 

Or they could have been assuming our performances were due to puels tactics (even though he's said for ages that he wants them to express themselves more and play with more intensity) 

And the last 2 games they have so people may be more willing to give him a chance. 

This isn't a black and white scenario. 

Pretty black and white to me.We have been a disgrace for months and the last few days does not change anything.With the squad he has had at his disposal including a 20 goal plus striker he has made a right pigs ear of the season.

• Like 3

Benitez is your man, he said if he gets no money from Newcastle to buy players, he will have consider his future, if the owners have any sense they will be sounding out this week, give him a figure they will allow him to spend on players, to me its no brainer to both parties. 

Just now, Ian S said:

Pretty black and white to me.We have been a disgrace for months and the last few days does not change anything.With the squad he has had at his disposal including a 20 goal plus striker he has made a right pigs ear of the season.

75% of our defence are championship standard.... we've had injuries all over the shop. 

If that's black and white to you then I'm bloody glad you'll never have any influence on the club. 

14 minutes ago, toddybad said:

The last two games have shown the previous lackadaisical performances were down to the players imo. I'm interested to see what he'd do with his own team - a new cb, rb and number 10, as well as the Mahrez replacement. I can only assume he doesn't rate dragovic so let's see who he is interested in bringing in. 

Agree to an extent - but dangerous game to play, unfortunately. 

He is fairly incomprehensible and dour when he talks, and I think the team have reflected this on the pitch. 

Great start, shocking middle, good end - and I don’t know what to think. :blink:

4 minutes ago, southfox66 said:

Benitez is your man, he said if he gets no money from Newcastle to buy players, he will have consider his future, if the owners have any sense they will be sounding out this week, give him a figure they will allow him to spend on players, to me its no brainer to both parties. 

Even if we have money having Rudkin as your main negotiator is pretty much as frustrating as having no money.

Positives of keeping Puel:

- He wants to build something long term

- He’s trying to adapt our style which has been nullified to an extent by teams that park the bus. 

- He promotes youth players. We have a few who have looked good for the U23s and could make the step up.

- He’s identified the deadwood we need to get rid of by shipping out the likes of Slimani, Ulloa, Musa etc in January (albeit on loan)

Negatives of keeping Puel: 

- Persisiting with players like Morgan even though Dragovic has performed a lot better.

- Constantly chopping and changing the team EVERY WEEK. The team sheet changes every week, you can’t put that down to just experimentation.

- Tried to change our style of play COMPLETELY. (Not just the counter attacking side, but the intensity, aggressive tempo, direct attacking play has been obsolete for the majority of Puel’s reign). 

- He might persist with his very boring possession based style that is easy to counter and gets us nowhere.

- Can we trust his philosophy and will the recruitment staff be able to bring in the right players.

- Do our best players want to play for him? We can’t afford to lose the likes of Maguire, Ndidi, Vardy on top of Mahrez. 

Conclusion:

The negatives outweigh the positives. There is no reason why a new manager can’t replicate the positives listed above... But that isn’t a given and we could end up with Pardiola knowing Rudders! So who the fuch knows! 

The most disappointing thing for me about Puel’s reign is he tried to change us to a possession based style and completely abandoned our previous style. 

The machine isn’t broken, we just need to add more cogs, there is no need to dismantle it completely like Puel has tried to do. As shown in the past two games, we know what our strengths are. Build on them!

Edited by foxes21
  • Like 4

its highly visible that he isn't going to make the cut here, apart from the previous 2 games where we have completely changed tactics we have looked absolute brainless, boring and not motivated at all, this is down to the man in charge who has not been very logical with his approach.

the moral of the story is we need to move on and bring someone in with some authority and a new defence.

Two games ago it was a definite no.

I’ve climbed back on the fence a bit. As a club we have to get it right though. 

If we’re keeping him then let’s have a clear out and give him substantial backing. 

• Like 1

Depends on numerous things for me. If someone like Benitez would replace him. If he has or hasn’t lost the dressing room. If he knows who he will sign and will buy quality defenders. But at the end of the day it’s if the owners trust him. It’s gonna be interesting anyway 

It's a footballing truism that you're only as good as your last game but dare I ask that those of you suddenly willing to forgive and forget cast your mind back four days - yes just FOUR days - and recall how you felt then.

.... and how you have pretty much felt about the dull, mortifying quality of our football for the past FOUR MONTHS!

You might even want to read back some of your posts and then reconsider your opinion about whether you think Puel is the man to take us forward...