Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Croatia V England Semi Final Wednesday 11th July 19:00 KO

48 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

yer been told that in every game so far, if we’re playing someone were better than not sure why we can’t be confident? 

was the same when city were any good and people on here were predicting 0-1 losses at home to like swansea when we had literally lost like once in 18 months. 

You do know we're playing Croatia not Russia right? A far superior team to us on paper at least.

6 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

You do know we're playing Croatia not Russia right? A far superior team to us on paper at least.

They're a decent side, but they have appeared uninspiring at times and also they have an ageing team that lacked energy towards the end - the latter which could help England if Vardy and Sterling etc start from the first whistle.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

7 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

have you watched them in this tournament? far superior to us?! 

theyve looked pretty good once, against an argentina side who’s keeper literally teed them up for the opener and then proceded to go 1 at the back for the last 30 minutes. 

needed penalties to beat denmark (the worst team in the tournament) and russia (also rubbish). 

have a bit of faith and enjoy the fact we’re going to win the world cup, stop worrying about nothing. 

1 hour ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Modric and Ratikic would walk in to this England team, however the rest aren't anything special. 

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 1

Having watched both teams as a neutral, I favor England to win this one. England's defense looks like the best out of the remaining teams. The back three are in sync, and they are so physically dominant. Henderson does a great job slowing down counterattacks and he forces the opposition to play sideways or backwards. Pickford is playing at the top of his game right now.

We get wowed by the star power of teams like Belgium, France, etc but England look to me to be the most cohesive team. Its probably overly obvious to mention it at this point, but I think England have a real shot to win both games. 

What Gareth Southgate has done is impressive. Even if England do not succeed against Croatia, they finally have an identity going forward. They have something to build on. It would be a shame to let one result stop that progress.

lol look at these Daily Mail readers desperate for Sterling to be dropped.

I've dropped all my nervous pessimism and am 100% buying into the positivity. Croatia are knackered, we're a great team unit and we'll never have a better chance. They've already fulfilled my dream of seeing a country come together in the sheer anticipation. I cannot wait.

Same team and a good performance and we'll come through. Sterling to score two and blow up the heads of the lowkey bigots and know-it-alls across the country.

I thought Sterling had a decent game, bar his misses.  He was the only one getting into some good positions, playing some decent linkup play.

When our midfield isn't the most creative, it makes sense to have an extra forward who is more creative than the other options and can play as a link man.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CollinsLCFC said:

Don't fix it if it isn't broken...

Apart from Sterling. 

Thought that Sterling was far more effective than Alli. Sure, Alli scored the goal, but first half he was so off the pace it was unreal. 

Sterling creates space for other players and this is crucial at this level.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Facecloth said:

We've barely scored from open play, we've created nothing for Kane. How many times does Sterling dither on the ball and give it away. How many times does he just run into a defender. More attacks breakdown due to him than actually create anything. Add to that he can't finish I'd rather Rashford play. He's more composed on the ball, thinks quicker and can finish.

This is true.  Incredibly frustrating to watch Sterling.

He seems better to me when playing insctinctively.  If you give him time to think he doesn't know what to do. 

He squandered several opportunities and wasted possession but we're not supposed to say that.  We must agree with BBC studio players union and not swim against the tide.

10 hours ago, Facecloth said:

I'd rather Rashford play. He's more composed on the ball, thinks quicker and can finish.

Forgotten the Belgium game already? Rashford was clown shoes in that game, missed several good chances and created nothing.

This isn't the time to be tinkering - Sterling was starting to show flashes of his best form against Sweden, but is just taking a second to think about things because his confidence isn't there yet. However, if you rewatch the game, he was involved in a lot of the good stuff we did - winning corners off defenders, dragging their back line around to create space for Kane and Lingard, always willing to chase the out ball over the top.

He didn't have a worldie by any means, but he was doing the right things more often than not. 

• Like 1

Honestly, after the train wreck that was Martin Keown on commentary yesterday (even the good lady, who's a lifelong gooner was getting wound up by him), I'd be willing to risk it with ITV. If you can mentally filter out the pro-spurs propaganda, Hoddle does have some really good insight to offer. 

38 minutes ago, TeePee said:

Forgotten the Belgium game already? Rashford was clown shoes in that game, missed several good chances and created nothing.

This isn't the time to be tinkering - Sterling was starting to show flashes of his best form against Sweden, but is just taking a second to think about things because his confidence isn't there yet. However, if you rewatch the game, he was involved in a lot of the good stuff we did - winning corners off defenders, dragging their back line around to create space for Kane and Lingard, always willing to chase the out ball over the top.

He didn't have a worldie by any means, but he was doing the right things more often than not. 

As much as I don't rate him he done well yesterday but still not convinced... I think we should just keep him in there now though and just hope he can take at least one of the chances he gets

Sterling and Alli have been poor and no amount of national euphoria or bias can change that fact. In fact, England have been largely poor, bar the 2nd half yesterday and against Panama.

I make them marginal favourites against Croatia but they can’t afford the lack of guile and ruthlessness we’ve seen in previous games, and even more so if they reach the final against one of 2 teams who are clearly superior.

Vardy must start if fit. Sterling and even more Alli (goal aside he was dreadful again yesterday) have not earned their place (in Alli’s case even his club form has been poor) and that is unacceptable regardless of the overall result.

This is the World Cup, serious business, but it’s still ‘jobs for the boys’.