Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Beechey

Ricardo Pereira

5 minutes ago, Livid said:

I feel a lot more confident when Albrighton is on the same side as him. He seems to track back and help him out a bit more.

I've only watched the extended highlights from Saturday and he seemed to get caught out a couple of times defensively, both times he looked a little exposed.

Going forward he looks fantastic, runs at pace, close control, good feet.

He's growing on me.

And that fits in with playing Gray on the left working with Chilwell too. I like to think it would be a case of 2+2=5 with Ricardo and Marc - Ricardo not quite as good as we would like defensively but makes up for that with going forward, and visa versa with Marc. Potentially could say the similar with Ghezzal too - Ghezzal better defensively than might be expected, and Ricardo can make up for his lack of pace. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Correct. Just as maddening is when you address an argumentative point, give a proper response that debunks what they said, and they go silent on you then, as admitting you're right/they're wrong is beyond them, and it seems that conceding a point is deemed weak. It has happened to me a number of times on here (recently in particular) and does nothing to instil confidence that you're talking to someone reasonable.

Yeah. Unfortunately slating someone take seconds while making argument for debunk them take some, if not lot of time and effort to made a response. 

22 hours ago, rachhere said:

I was looking at his stats earlier, and was surprised to see how highly rated he was defensively. I think if he's in the right position he's fine, he has the skills needed to deal with the situation, it's just making sure he's in the right position not to get caught out where it's going wrong. But I would like to think that would be the easier of the two to rectify?

His issue is that he's over-eager to make the tackle. His pace is such an asset he backs himself to beat the attacker to the pass. However the attackers are generally more quicker/physical in the PL and he 'sells' himself trying to win the ball at the 'first phase'. It's more apparent when he's isolated. The upside is that he has this incredible recovery pace where he gets back to tackle. 

He needs to learn that not every time can he win the ball at the 'first phase'. He sometimes has to jockey and slow down the attacker then win the ball when he attempts to take you on. 

Like Chilwell, needs games to learn about the higher level so to speak and iron out those mistakes. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

Not even sure why we're even bothering with this thread. He's looked good so far and will only improve. Close thread. Thanks everyone and goodbye. X 

This is player thread. Few slaters didn't mean the thread become slating thread. No urgent to close this as yet

And that fits in with playing Gray on the left working with Chilwell too. I like to think it would be a case of 2+2=5 with Ricardo and Marc - Ricardo not quite as good as we would like defensively but makes up for that with going forward, and visa versa with Marc. Potentially could say the similar with Ghezzal too - Ghezzal better defensively than might be expected, and Ricardo can make up for his lack of pace. 

If he is going to play at full back (which I assume he is with Amartey now out until Jan) then it's absolutely essential Albrighton is playing in front of him given the work he does in his own half as well, he has the energy and the intelligence to drop into space behind when Pereira decides to make one of his dartinf forward runs and we don't want to stop that as it's clearly the best part of his game.

Ricardo wasn't that bad defensively on Saturday, he only made one howler that nearly cost a goal but it's hard to judge given it was only Cardiff. Think I'll take a blindfold to the Man City game though.

Albrighton struggles every time he ends up on the right as he can't take on players nor cut inside and cross. Gray is better there than on the left for me, its prevents him shooting on sight all the time and I can remember a few assists from that side (Stoke away, Everton home for example), but none come to my mind from the left. He also scored the one time he and Albrighton switched sides at the weekend.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Mark said:

Albrighton struggles every time he ends up on the right as he can't take on players nor cut inside and cross. Gray is better there than on the left for me, its prevents him shooting on sight all the time and I can remember a few assists from that side (Stoke away, Everton home for example), but none come to my mind from the left. He also scored the one time he and Albrighton switched sides at the weekend.

I see your point - I guess we have tended to play him on the left because of Mahrez. Difficult one though as for the reasons discussed earlier, switching them would make us more vulnerable defensively. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, dmayne7 said:

He was excellent today as were many of them in the second half. Looks like he's growing in confidence and getting used to the league now.

He has definitely improved. Much more solid defensively in recent games, and I think he links up very well with Albrighton. Kasper gave him a massive pat on the back for stopping Brighton scoring a second goal. I think he's a good player and will likely get even better.

8 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

Look at where Ricardo is now versus where he was at the beginning of the season, especially defensively.  Look at where Chilwell is vs. a year ago (though he was already very good and much underrated then, he's clearly our best player and England's #1 LB now).  Maybe, just maybe, Puel deserves a little credit for his player development and teaching skills?

You make a very good point. The one thing that’s just about keeping me in the “Puel in” camp is how he’s developing our younger players. Last season I thought Chilwell showed potential going forward but was so poor defensively against any half decent winger but now he looks to be improving every week as does Ricardo. These 2 have to play for the formation to work as they are effectively our wingers, my biggest concern is that leaves us open at the back and we need centre half’s who are more comfortable on the ball and sweeping over the gaps to full back. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

Look at where Ricardo is now versus where he was at the beginning of the season, especially defensively.  Look at where Chilwell is vs. a year ago (though he was already very good and much underrated then, he's clearly our best player and England's #1 LB now).  Maybe, just maybe, Puel deserves a little credit for his player development and teaching skills?

Steady on now…

• Haha 1

I’ve been part of the sceptical crew who want Clyne in January, but I tell you what; at the moment Ricardo is doing enough the past 3 games to change my mind. 

Defensively seems to have improved whilst his ability to be an outlet for us when attacking is crazy to watch, both him and Chilwell don’t stop running!

• Like 1

Watched the first half only but Pereira looked very good at times.

But I wouldn't get carried away just yet. The last 4 games have been to teams in the bottom half but he wasn't great against Liverpool or Arsenal. You would expect a £25 million signing to do well against the teams from 11-20 at least. Perform against top 6 sides and we can start singing his praises more and more.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

I’ve been part of the sceptical crew who want Clyne in January, but I tell you what; at the moment Ricardo is doing enough the past 3 games to change my mind. 

Defensively seems to have improved whilst his ability to be an outlet for us when attacking is crazy to watch, both him and Chilwell don’t stop running!

I like Clyne and in a theoretical world where money and starting positions didn't matter sure, he'd be a great get.  But I like Pereira better, and he was signed to be a right back.  In the style of football Puel wants to play the fullbacks are essential, and Ricardo is ideally suited to it (as is Chilwell).  To me it makes no sense to prioritize signing another RB when you already have a damn good one, who's showed massive improvement defensively in adapting to the PL after only a couple of months.

• Like 4

Albrighton playing the last few games with him has definitely improved him defensively and allowed him a lot more protection than when Gray/Maddison were being played on the right.

That said, he's definitely improving a lot and growing on me a lot. Felt like he cost us a goal a game in the first 5 or 6 games, but he's undoubtably exciting going forward. Just hope that his early performances were a case of teething pains or a lack of support from players in front of him and he continues as he has the last few games.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

From the Mercury:

With the persistent rain, cold weather, slippery pitch, goals from set-pieces and the physical scrap between the two sides throughout the afternoon, it was a typical blood and thunder Premier League clash, but for Pereira who has played all his football in Portugal and France it was a unique experience.

The City right-back has taken time to settle since his summer move from Porto, most notably during the defeat at Bournemouth earlier in the campaign, but he believes he is finally getting used to the demands of the English game.The 25-year-old impressed during the stalemate at the Amex and he admits he is feeling more at home now in England

“It’s important to have game time to get used to the championship, to the team, to my team-mates,” he said.

“I am getting used to the physicality of the English game.

"It was a bit hard when I first came. It’s different. Not only the aggressiveness, the way we play here is a little bit different to what I was used to.

“I hope I am showing my true self to the fans and will keep doing more.

“The attacking runs down the right have always been my trademark.

“I need to improve defensively, be more clinical when I arrive there and give more place to go.

“I think it’s important for me to keep going like that to keep improving.

“Playing with 11 is already difficult in that weather but playing with 10, it’s even more difficult, but we did a good job and with a little bit of luck we could win the game.”

Refreshingly honest assesment of his time here, and I would agree with what he says. He has definitely shown signs of improvement as since Amartey got injured we haven't been exposed at the right back position yet, and his attacking elements are of great benefit to the team. Still not in Chilwell's league, but the signs of improvement are encouraging!  

Chilly has been bought up in our game. That's a huge bennifit pareara has had 12 games and admitted he's learning. 

At the back he's picking it up going forward he's ahead. He knows when to pass/Cross and have a go. Chilly has improved no end but still lacks that.