Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Shane

Wolves Pre-Match Thread, 18th Aug

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

If we somehow managed to win by three goals I think it could define our season v positively with the squad .... if we lose or have a bore draw then concern that the season could suddenly look long and tough for the players 

The end of last season couldn't come quick enough for me. It was as boring as Nigel Worthington's regime. Hence this team MUST do something to connect with the fans. We've had Puel for almost half a season and not once have I heard a song towards him....says alot about how the majority feel towards him....Must give him time though...he's had the cash...now time to show 

13 minutes ago, Raj said:

The end of last season couldn't come quick enough for me. It was as boring as Nigel Worthington's regime. Hence this team MUST do something to connect with the fans. We've had Puel for almost half a season and not once have I heard a song towards him....says alot about how the majority feel towards him....Must give him time though...he's had the cash...now time to show 

It’s well over half a season raj .....

On 15/08/2018 at 15:33, kingfox said:

5-0 Wolves then lol 

We know how well Albrighton can defend, Gray put in the work against Man Utd, needs to do the same against Wolves or they'll pummel our left-side with constant diagonal balls.

Wolves,should be given the problem,we will pummel their right side...

This game. Win lose or draw, poor or great,is not going to show too much,how our season will pan out.

we have to get a few games behind us,and build and develop routine.....Let the players get to know each other's games,then

see after 4-7 PL and a few efl cup games, if Puels set up is something to believe in and worth following....

He and the team can definitely win over a vast majority of us with a good all round performance this weekend,making it

easier for him,and give him time , deep into the early season.

• Like 4

On 14/08/2018 at 22:56, BirminghamFox said:

I'd play this team but we all know Morgan will start! :nigel:

You are probably right. We have bought in 3 CB's but at the end of the day, Wes will be in.   'Dragovic 2' the sequel - at a Cinema near you.

21 hours ago, Koke said:

We scored more goals than anyone bar top 6 last season. We scored 5 less than Chelsea. You can accuse Puel of anything but lack of scoring isn't one of them. We have scored a shed load under him.

Defence is our problem. 

Yep, back four were atrocious at times last season. Then again, we were hammered by a few teams only which skews the stats somewhat.

Just to throw this into the ring with regards to our Premier League goalscoring record under Puel last season:

Out of these 56 goals scored, 12 had already been marked before Puel was appointed (in nine matches under Shakespeare/Appleton).

Seven of the remaining 44 goals were scored in the last two matches.

That leaves us with 37 goals in 27 league matches. That‘s roughly 1.3 goals a game. Not bad, but not overly impressive for a side that wants to push for a Top Seven spot.

We‘ve also been overly relying on two players only in terms of attacking output.

When 32 out of 56 league goals are scored by two individuals, you‘re asking for trouble. Looking at it from a different angle, other players scored 24 goals in 38 matches, that‘s a goal in two out of three matches... Not good enough.

But either we address our defensive strategy or have to try pushing our attackers and midfielders to become more clinical up front. Either way, something‘s got to give.

But I digress...

Edited by MC Prussian
  • Like 2

Just listening to the Radio Leicester Boot Room podcast. Some bloke from the local radio station in Wolverhampton was on. Talk about confidence - even Birch said afterwards that it's not worth us turning up on Saturday! At one point this bloke said the new owners at Wolves have ambitions to be on Man U's level within 10 years! ?

Edited by Sunbury Fox

7 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Just listening to the Radio Leicester Boot Room podcast. Some bloke from the local radio station in Wolverhampton was on. Talk about confidence - even Birch said afterwards that it's not worth us turning up on Saturday! At one point this bloke said the new owners at Wolves have ambitions to be on Man U's level within 10 years! ?

We’ll fosun are worth many many billions so they could afford to try (although how they get around the ffp annual wage bill increase rules without doing ‘a rangers’ interests me) 

anyway, could get to 80f tomorrow which could affect the pressing intentions of the teams ............

1 hour ago, MC Prussian said:

Yep, back four were atrocious at times last season. Then again, we were hammered by a few teams only which skews the stats somewhat.

Just to throw this into the ring with regards to our Premier League goalscoring record under Puel last season:

Out of these 56 goals scored, 12 had already been marked before Puel was appointed (in nine matches under Shakespeare/Appleton).

Seven of the remaining 44 goals were scored in the last two matches.

That leaves us with 37 goals in 27 league matches. That‘s roughly 1.3 goals a game. Not bad, but not overly impressive for a side that wants to push for a Top Seven spot.

We‘ve also been overly relying on two players only in terms of attacking output.

When 32 out of 56 league goals are scored by two individuals, you‘re asking for trouble. Looking at it from a different angle, other players scored 24 goals in 38 matches, that‘s a goal in two out of three matches... Not good enough.

But either we address our defensive strategy or have to try pushing our attackers and midfielders to become more clinical up front. Either way, something‘s got to give.

But I digress...

This is 'll true. But could also be said for the defence. We conceded 5 Spurs. 5 at Palace. 5 at Man City.  4 at Arsenal. So that skews that stat a bit as well. 

On 16/08/2018 at 10:34, Simoken said:

I also have a feeling because my left my knee twitched, that we will win 2-0

22 hours ago, Simoken said:

i was surprised no one sent a few FT death threats towards me for spelling 'block' as 'bloke'

On 16/08/2018 at 10:49, Simoken said:

Im still high from the  league win, stop killing my nostalgia you ****. I think the main problem is our best player, hes crap.

Well aren't you quite the rude boy lol

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

This game. Win lose or draw, poor or great,is not going to show too much,how our season will pan out.

You’re right but say we played like last week and won 4-0... the atmosphere in the crowd and the excitement among the fans would be lifted which could really help us push on. 

I think back to Ranieri’s first game. The sun was shining and though pre match there was a buzz there was also some apprehension given Pearson’s sacking. 20 minutes in and 3-0 up and that apprehension had evaporated. The excitement was back and the fans behind the team and well... it turned out to be a decent season :D.

So you’re right in the overall context one match doesn’t define anything but momentum is important and getting the fans behind you important. 

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

You’re right but say we played like last week and won 4-0... the atmosphere in the crowd and the excitement among the fans would be lifted which could really help us push on. 

I think back to Ranieri’s first game. The sun was shining and though pre match there was a buzz there was also some apprehension given Pearson’s sacking. 20 minutes in and 3-0 up and that apprehension had evaporated. The excitement was back and the fans behind the team and well... it turned out to be a decent season :D.

So you’re right in the overall context one match doesn’t define anything but momentum is important and getting the fans behind you important. 

Indeed, and I am definitely optimistic and agree with want you are saying.

However,a 5-0 a la Bolton under tater peeler can also set the opposite tone.

individual games with extreme results can dictate the season.

They can also, however, be a total one off either way.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Foxes1 said:

Used to love these games in the past with the 2 Steve's Walsh & Bull going head to head against each other for 90 minutes if neither managed to get themselves sent-off

Is it blue tinted specs or did our Steve always seem to come out on top?