Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Shane

Wolves Pre-Match Thread, 18th Aug

1 hour ago, SuperMike said:

Ah, yes, DOMINATE!

Like we have in the last 8 PL games.

W1 D1 L6.

Puel The Messiah.

For me, Puel starts off with pretty much a clean slate for this season. And I do hope you can give him that much credit, too.

Yes, the second half of last season was underwhelming to put it mildly.

But now, that particular Algerian midfielder is gone, and we've got to integrate about six new players with first team ambitions (Maddison, Pereira, Ghezzal, Evans, Benkovic, plus Söyüncü).

Puel's had a full pre-season to work on his formation and tactics - and now it's time to see how it all develops as the season progresses.

Lose against Wolverhampton and a few fair questions will have to be asked, though. None of our key players is injured as far as I can tell, so we should put our full strength to good use.

No excuses for not going for a positive result.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

I'd love to think we'll win this, but I just don't believe Puel is good at setting up teams to win games at home. Think we'll look better on the road this season.

Leicester 1 Wolves 2

I also have a feeling because my left my knee twitched, that we will win 2-0

2 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

And we've addressed that with 4 first team quality signings. But some people will never be happy becasue they're expecting us to win the league again. 

Im still high from the  league win, stop killing my nostalgia you ****. I think the main problem is our best player, hes crap.

23 minutes ago, Koke said:

We scored more goals than anyone bar top 6 last season. We scored 5 less than Chelsea. You can accuse Puel of anything but lack of scoring isn't one of them. We have scored a shed load under him.

Defence is our problem. 

The only gripe i'll have with this is, there were still many games we struggled to score in but also had a good amount of games we stuck 2/3/4 goals away which boosted our numbers. Likewise we had 3 games where we shipped 5 goals which is a disgrace. If you look at the average game though under Puel we drew a lot 1-1 or lost 2-1 often scoring a consolation after going 2-0 down. We 100% need to improve defensively but to automatically think that's our only issue is naïve as we've lost Mahrez and even with him there were so many games we were never troubling the 3 points.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Koke said:

We scored more goals than anyone bar top 6 last season. We scored 5 less than Chelsea. You can accuse Puel of anything but lack of scoring isn't one of them. We have scored a shed load under him.

Defence is our problem. 

To prove the point - on 3 separate occasions last season under Puel we scored 4 away from home (Southampton, WBA, Tottenham). On 3 separate occasions last season under Puel we conceded 5 away from home (Man City, Crystal Palace, Tottenham).

5 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

The only gripe i'll have with this is, there were still many games we struggled to score in but also had a good amount of games we stuck 2/3/4 goals away which boosted our numbers. Likewise we had 3 games where we shipped 5 goals which is a disgrace. If you look at the average game though under Puel we drew a lot 1-1 or lost 2-1 often scoring a consolation after going 2-0 down. We 100% need to improve defensively but to automatically think that's our only issue is naïve as we've lost Mahrez and even with him there were so many games we were never troubling the 3 points.

Yes, the results from the end of January to the end of the season were poor but for me there were only a few games where we were genuinely poor. We were far superior to Swansea, Stoke and Southampton, had enough chances to have beaten Bournemouth twice (admittedly they had a few too) and played Burnley off the pitch in general play,  even with a weakened team. The only 3 games where I thought we were dreadful were Newcastle, West Ham and Palace. And in all 3 there were mitigating circumstances, such as key players missing. 

Edited by Sunbury Fox
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Koke said:

Defence is our problem. 

Wasn't Mahrez responsible for maybe 20 goals though (created and scored)? That's a bloody big hole to fill just to stand still let alone improve. I know we've got a number of new players in but I wouldn't expect to see the best of them for some months, maybe a season, given they've never played in this league.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

And we've addressed that with 4 first team quality signings. But some people will never be happy becasue they're expecting us to win the league again. 

No just expect us to perform as we should with such a strong squad, not like a bunch of muppets as we did after xmas.

3 hours ago, FoxInTheBox89 said:

I would keep Ricky at right mid, anybody know if Flipovic can play right back? or maybe put Darnell Johnson there. Amartey not in the squad for me

... we should not be going back to square pegs in round holes! 

Darnell does not want to play at right back, he wants to play centre back, probably a stipulation in his new contract. 

1 hour ago, Bablemikey said:

Wasn't Mahrez responsible for maybe 20 goals though (created and scored)? That's a bloody big hole to fill just to stand still let alone improve. I know we've got a number of new players in but I wouldn't expect to see the best of them for some months, maybe a season, given they've never played in this league.

What if madders is responsible for 12-15 goals be we learn to defend and conceded 15-20 less goals?

58 minutes ago, Raj said:

For me,this game gauges how we have/will progress under Puel.

Couldn't ask for a better comparison for where we are going.

If we somehow managed to win by three goals I think it could define our season v positively with the squad .... if we lose or have a bore draw then concern that the season could suddenly look long and tough for the players