Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Qwerty

Iborra

What’s happened to him? He doesn’t even seem to be making the subs bench either.  And on that subject, what did Simpson do wrong? He looked OK last season - not as good as previously, but surely not ready to be pensioned off just yet?

9 minutes ago, Qwerty said:

What’s happened to him? He doesn’t even seem to be making the subs bench either.  And on that subject, what did Simpson do wrong? He looked OK last season - not as good as previously, but surely not ready to be pensioned off just yet?

I think in all honesty, as there's room for a limited amount of players in each position on the bench, compared with other players we've got,  he's not good enough, there are better options. Personally I'd put both Choudhury and Silva before him to partner Ndidi.

20 minutes ago, Qwerty said:

Neither player are in the best 18 we have. We will need the whole squad this season as injuries and suspensions take hold. But for now, they are not as good as others in the squad.

I'm not sure he really fancies Iborra to be honest.

I don't think he's bad but he does have some weaknesses which we've not really accounted for. He lacks the mobility to be much good as a defensive midfielder.

He's our best goal threat from midfield by a mile though.

• Like 1

We need him back to challenge Ndidi, who to my mind hasn't come back from Russia in any sort of form. Iborra is quality and strong in the air - seems just to lack the energy and pace of Ndidi, Maddison, Choudhury and even Silva. 

Still his nipper has been born on a good day of the year?

3 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I'm not sure he really fancies Iborra to be honest.

I don't think he's bad but he does have some weaknesses which we've not really accounted for. He lacks the mobility to be much good as a defensive midfielder.

He's our best goal threat from midfield by a mile though.

When he played him last season we won most games he featured then we went to shit and never seen the same man again, he is clearly a good player so I wouldn't be surprised to see him feature soon.

5 hours ago, Qwerty said:

In a 4-2-3-1, you need your full backs to come forward and attack so as to create overloads and, quite often, to provide width. For instance, imagine Mahrez last season, he loved to cut inside, Pereira does it quite nicely when he plays as a wing as well. You bring the FB up the sideline and the FB stays wide to provide an outlet target and threat that needs to be covered. Alternatively, the wing stays wide and FB provides support or might find himself cutting inside. The idea is to bring more attackers into the attack, creating imbalance, especially on the counterattack.

The problem for this scheme is you need special FBs. You not only need players who can run the entire game, they need to be good defenders who are fast who are also dangerous in the attack. Ideally you want your FBs to be good on the ball, strong crossers, and a threat to attack directly if they aren't given defensive attention.

Unfortunately Simpson doesn't provide a real threat in the attack, he lacks the skills to attack directly, he is not difficult to dispossess, he is not much of a threat if he cuts inside and leaves the width-making to the wing, etc. So when he plays, perhaps he can defend better than Amartey, but Amartey is perceived to have the potential to give more overall to the team, certainly on the attacking end. And if we're honest, I suspect in Puel's eyes it's pretty even with him and Simpson on the defensive side as well.

Bottom-line is Simpson isn't playing is bc he doesn't have the attributes we need in a FB on the attacking side of the ball. It hurts our chances of scoring if we play him. The only way we will see him at this point is if we have a rash of injuries, or perhaps in a cup match.

4 hours ago, Qwerty said:

I am sure Puel,hasn't dumped him mentally,hes going through his squad,and taking his own intuitions as his priorities.

Both he and Silva,could still see 20+ games. Puel will use the squad. If Mendy can take his chance,and Ndidi cement his place,

Doesn't mean their days are numbered