Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dorsetboy

Ok two questions regards Top

Still heartbroken about Khun vichai and it helps that top wants to continue his legacy but I'm sure I'm not the only one to think about the following 

1. Is top financially able to run the club and build the legacy? By this I mean does vichais buisness and wealth not pass to his wife ?..she might not want to pay millions for a bunch of grown men to run around a field .I know vichai also wanted to make the club self sustaining but I doubt were are at that stage yet.

2. If top does assume full control will he then have to sell oh Leuven as don't FIFA rules prevent you from owning two clubs ?

Edited by davieG
Edited title to Top.

Good questions that I'm sure are being considered by many of our fans.

1) the ownership of our club isn't simply Vichai but King Power I believe? The CEO of King Power is also our soon to be chairman, Khun Top. The family will be desperately keen to build on Vichai's legacy I'm sure. Whether there's short term implications with the way they fund certain facets of our club, such as the training ground rebuild and the stadium expansion is beyond my musings.

2) Didnt Vichai hold chairman positions at both clubs? Did Top own Leuven then?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dorsetboy said:

Still heartbroken about Khun vichai and it helps that top wants to continue his legacy but I'm sure I'm not the only one to think about the following 

1. Is top financially able to run the club and build the legacy? By this I mean does vichais buisness and wealth not pass to his wife ?..she might not want to pay millions for a bunch of grown men to run around a field .I know vichai also wanted to make the club self sustaining but I doubt were are at that stage yet.

2. If top does assume full control will he then have to sell oh Leuven as don't FIFA rules prevent you from owning two clubs ?

They haven't put their own money in since we've been in the prem, so I'm not sure there is a big worry there.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, dorsetboy said:

Good questions. 

1. I think Vichai always saw Top as his successor and has trained him for his whole life to take over from him. I’m not sure how much control Aimon has over KP or even what her role is but I’m sure she’d want to do the best for Vichai’s legacy in all his businesses. 

2. I’m sure they’ll find a way around it. Perhaps Apichet might take it over? Who knows.

Everything is quite rightly up in the air for now.

Great questions, but I think we all need to be patient! The King Power group consists of multiple companies and I would imagine that the priority would be the duty-free part of the business that is responsible for their vast wealth.

I personally think the club will trundle on fairly "as is" until the summer, at which point bigger changes might be made, such as determining the new chairman of the club, etc which might coincide with new stadium plans, managerial chances, etc. Actually it wouldn't surpise me if Susan Wheelan went from being Chief Executive to taking over Vichai's position because she's clearly brilliant and might be better for the next few years to run it whilst Top consolidates the family's other assets.

At the same time the King Power group tend to have strong managment and leadership. The reaction to the tragedy by the club was 10/10 barring maybe the time it took for news to filter out initially (which was likely controlled for stock market reasons). So it also wouldn't surprise me to see a big announcement sooner than the summer either.

• Like 2

Even if two rang true and you can only own one team, they could also move one of the team's in Apichet's name as he is heavily involved at King Power and with Leicester. 

It'll all be fine and Top seems pretty determined to make a success of it and do his father proud.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Red Bull were allowed to have two teams play each other in European competition, I'm pretty sure King Power can find a loophole to own both a second division Belgian side and an English team both years away from continental competition. 

Red Bull don’t own Salzburg anymore, they’ve just kept the branding. Otherwise one would’ve had to forefit

Edit: Nevermind, looks like it is indeed a technicality and they basically do still own both clubs

Edited by Lestoh

I think:

1) Ownership of the club must be through a variety of holding companies eventually leading to the Kingpower Holdco. To which Top and his Board are responsible for decisions on behalf of their shareholders. I doubt Vicahi's wife has much to do with the running of the ultimate KP company?

2) I can't imagine FIFA rules stop billionaires owning two clubs if they want too. Either pay FIFA off or tell them to do one. Don't red bull and the man city lot own multiple clubs?

Aimon is Group Vice Chair of King Power International, the Chair has just died.

The family have a Duty Free operation, an airline and hotels to look after, with stakeholder expectations to manage.  Decisions about football clubs, polo and racehorses will likely be lower down the list of immediate priorities as the family as senior management team work out how best to stabilize the business, divide the labor and maintain the network of relationships that allowed the business to flourish in the first place.  

It's too soon for these kind of questions to be in any way meaningful.

• Like 2

1. The money comes from King power international and possibly AFI (Asian football investors) not sure if they are still involved. Vichai’s personal wealth is separate. We have also had some very profitable years so I don’t think we need to worry too much on that front.

2. Vichai was chairman of both OH Leuven and Leicester so there can’t be any reason why Top would be stopped from doing both.

The only impact Vichai’s tragic death will have on Top’s capacity as chairman of both Leicester and Leuven is if he doesn’t want to be reminded of his dad everywhere he goes and he finds it too raw emotionally. Nobody could blame him if he wanted to take more of a back seat.

5 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Red Bull were allowed to have two teams play each other in European competition, I'm pretty sure King Power can find a loophole to own both a second division Belgian side and an English team both one of which is years away from continental competition. 

Corrected for you.

OH Leuven are on the rise!

• Haha 1

Maybe I've missed something but isn't it common in the far east for wealth/business to pass to your son.

As for other posts. AFI have no part anymore is my understanding. KP brought them out years back. (For those that haven't broke the seal on the programme for the weekend I'm pretty sure it's in the timeline printed)

We also all consider both Vichai and Top to be men of honour and Top has confirmed he wishes to carry on and see out his father's dream, something that was also backed by Susan Whelan last night.

And let's be honest Whilst we may never know owners like these ever again I doubt we will be sold to the likes of mandaric ever again I think we are in a different league Nowdays.

The club have confirmed the commitment to the training ground and the expansion so I can't see them walking away any time soon.

Edited by Bayfox
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, dorsetboy said:

King Power is a company, why would it go to Vichai's wife?, I work for BT, when I die I dont think my wife will inherit BT

The questions asked so far in this thread, though important, I don’t think are questions that I worry about.

my question is will Top be around the club as much as Vichai and will he have the charisma and personality of Vichai? 

Its that unique bond and presence from Vichai to the staff that helped to make our club, what it is.

Personally I feel Top will continue in his fathers footsteps.