Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bob Weasel Fox

Watford (H) pre match

16 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I agree that I want to be entertained if possible, but I don't believe that sport is part of the entertainment industry... That's the sector I work in. 

Football is a results business, sadly. 

Personally I disagree with this, sport is an entertainment business and the reason I pay my hard earned cash to watch football is to be entertained, if it were just a results business I wouldn’t bother going and just look at the results on sky sports at 6:00 on a Saturday afternoon 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I agree that I want to be entertained if possible, but I don't believe that sport is part of the entertainment industry... That's the sector I work in. 

Football is a results business, sadly. 

It is literally an entertainment industry. 

Of course its a business, that's implied by the word "industry." It makes a fantastic amount of money, as does Hollywood, but it's still an entertainment industry. 

It exists, as does Hollywood, to give us a distraction from our work lives. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Doctor said:

Puel said post match Tuesday he's not expecting Maguire back so:

Schmeichel

Ricardo

Morgan

Soyuncu

Chilwell

Ndidi 

Mendy

Silva

Maddison 

Iheanacho

Vardy

Preferably. Narrow three behind Vardy, width is coming from the full backs anyway, Silva can drop back and Iheanacho forward to a 4-3-1-2 if needed as well

We're far too narrow even with wingers, our full backs don't get stretch the opposition enough to play a centre midfielder, an attacking midfielder and a striker behind Vardy especially as Watford are very narrow.

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

If football was just about entertainment, you'd question why Sunderland, Cov, etc have anyone going to watch them at all. Football transcends entertainment and always has done, it's not like going to the cinema for most people.  The tribalism, local pride, the sheer hope that even in your darkest days there is an amazing season just around the corner is what keeps people going down.

Some people will be all about the entertainment, but frankly you might as well go and support Barcelona if it's just about that. Expecting consistently thrilling football and seasons from anyone outside the top five clubs is just silly. People will spend their entire lives miserable with their football... which probably explains this place.

Nobody expected to be be entertained when it was a tenner to get in, when ticket prices are so grossly inflated, rightly or wrongly, people expect (not even to be entertained) not to bored.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stadt said:

Nobody expected to be be entertained when it was a tenner to get in, when ticket prices are so grossly inflated, rightly or wrongly, people expect (not even to be entertained) not to bored.

I honestly think we've been spoilt, a mate at work is a Walsall season ticket holder and he pisses himself when I show him this place.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mint23 said:

Personally I disagree with this, sport is an entertainment business and the reason I pay my hard earned cash to watch football is to be entertained, if it were just a results business I wouldn’t bother going and just look at the results on sky sports at 6:00 on a Saturday afternoon 

It's certainly an extremely unusual entertainment business.

'Pure' entertainment business are almost solely dependant on their audience numbers. Those numbers are in effect their 'result', but for football that's one (relatively small) result.

By 'results business', I think @HighPeakFox is alluding to the huge, fixed(ish) payments based on the league you are in. These payments don't exist (not that I can think of!) in other entertainment industries.

If you take the theatre as an example, playing in the Premier League is the equivalent of playing on Shaftesbury Avenue. The difference is for a theatre that's a potential advantage (it's also a potential crippler), whereas for just being in the Prem last year and finishing 12th we were paid around £120 million quid. That payment wasn't predicated on how entertaining we were (I'm ignoring relatively minor adjustments based on games shown live which might be based on how fecking boring we are to watch).  Gate receipts (the equivalent of a theatre's audience) were around £16 million. Even if we were so boring as to have no fans at our games it would make relatively little difference financially.

39 minutes ago, Stadt said:

We're far too narrow even with wingers, our full backs don't get stretch the opposition enough to play a centre midfielder, an attacking midfielder and a striker behind Vardy especially as Watford are very narrow.

I disagree, Chilwell has been almost like a proper chalk-on-boots winger this season. Other sides more questionable but I don't see why Ricardo can't do it

47 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

I disagree, Chilwell has been almost like a proper chalk-on-boots winger this season. Other sides more questionable but I don't see why Ricardo can't do it

He gets forward but with how we play he should be almost running in behind, sometimes if he was 10 yards further forward he’d be more threatening. I appreciate physically it’s more demanding but he’s definitely capable.

4 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Schmeichel

Ricardo

Morgan

Soyuncu

Chilwell

Ndidi 

Mendy

Silva

Maddison 

Iheanacho

Vardy

Preferably. Narrow three behind Vardy, width is coming from the full backs anyway, Silva can drop back and Iheanacho forward to a 4-3-1-2 if needed as well

Hideous that is, literally zero pace behind Vardy.

Isn't Pereyra their left midfielder? Fvck Ricardo against him.

Schmeichel

Simpson -- Evans -- Soyuncu -- Chilwell

Ricardo -- Mendy/nDidi -- Iborra -- Maddison

Vardy - Iheancho

Edited by Fox92

4 hours ago, Babylon said:

If football was just about entertainment, you'd question why Sunderland, Cov, etc have anyone going to watch them at all. Football transcends entertainment and always has done, it's not like going to the cinema for most people.  The tribalism, local pride, the sheer hope that even in your darkest days there is an amazing season just around the corner is what keeps people going down. The entertainment isn't just about the football played, it's about the day, the anticipation, the atmosphere, the shouting and screaming and kicking your chair. The goals, the wins the losses... to me good football has always been a bonus.

Some people will be all about the entertainment, but frankly you might as well go and support Barcelona if it's just about that. Expecting consistently thrilling football and seasons from anyone outside the top five clubs is just silly. People will spend their entire lives miserable with their football... which probably explains this place.

* Just realised I'm not in the creativity thread lol

There has to be a balance. I agree with you to a certain extent but it does need to be entertaining to watch. Saying if you want to be entertained then you might as well support Barca is like saying if you want results then you might as well watch Man City and not bother going to watch the other 91 teams in the leagues because they can’t win it. I agree with you that the day out as a whole is the entertainment but I still want to be able to see entertaining football too.

7 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Schmeichel

Ricardo

Morgan

Soyuncu

Chilwell

Ndidi 

Mendy

Silva

Maddison 

Iheanacho

Vardy

I highly doubt Silva will be in the team, he didn't exactly seize his opportunity on Tuesday. 

5 hours ago, turtmcfly said:

It's certainly an extremely unusual entertainment business.

'Pure' entertainment business are almost solely dependant on their audience numbers. Those numbers are in effect their 'result', but for football that's one (relatively small) result.

By 'results business', I think @HighPeakFox is alluding to the huge, fixed(ish) payments based on the league you are in. These payments don't exist (not that I can think of!) in other entertainment industries.

If you take the theatre as an example, playing in the Premier League is the equivalent of playing on Shaftesbury Avenue. The difference is for a theatre that's a potential advantage (it's also a potential crippler), whereas for just being in the Prem last year and finishing 12th we were paid around £120 million quid. That payment wasn't predicated on how entertaining we were (I'm ignoring relatively minor adjustments based on games shown live which might be based on how fecking boring we are to watch).  Gate receipts (the equivalent of a theatre's audience) were around £16 million. Even if we were so boring as to have no fans at our games it would make relatively little difference financially.

Wrap it up,with pretty ribbons and snowflakes,or zombies flying through titanic storms,with wailing shrews in each arm,but whether I am home alone,

or partying  and watching it with some goodfellas....even when I am standing in the cold rain,in a blizzard,watching someone bend it

like Beckham,or like Tootsie,it gives me an whole lotta luv,that makes me feel headless,with a curved spine like Richard III,even when it's much ado about

nothing,hoping it finishes all's well that ends well,it falls into loves Labour lost,but when we score I get Tiger feet,and mouth gets dry like a deepthroat virus.

So taking those 39-steps,to my seat,is like the highway to heaven,though we have crossed many a Bridge over troubled water...

We have pundits,Persuadors,Avengers,some Saints,and all the answers are blowing in the Wind......

So football was..is..and always be Entertainment!!

7 hours ago, Finnegan said:

As someone that doesn't generally come in here and moan in every thread and whom tries to be reasonably balanced even when I've got criticism, I really, really hate being told not to moan by some happy clapper routinely towing the party line regardless. 

The "cheer up, we're supposed to be mid table, nothing is wrong, Puel is fine, you lot would moan about anything, you expect us to win the league every year, you're so spoilt" crew are no less annoying than the "everything is shit all the players are crap Puel is the devil" crew. Just two sides of the same coin. 

I really have to question how much some of you watch. I'm not going to be snobbish about who does and doesn't go to games but any actual season ticket holder that goes and watches this shit at the moment and comes away happy is beyond me. 

We are just absolutely garbage to watch. We have a purple patch every now and then where we'll play half an hour of really exciting football, like the first half at Arsenal and things will be great. But then we'll go four or five games just being rigid, four, slow, even if we win or get a point its just dull as all **** with no creativity and no very few decent chances. 

I think people are allowed to moan a bit about this and express some measured concern. Acting like it's the end of the world is clearly dramatic, we're obviously going to finish mid table with no risk of going down, we obviously have some good young players and some real prospects for the future. That's great. 

But how many of us can honestly say they're excited about match days? I feel like I'm going out of begrudging obligation half the time, I don't particularly enjoy the action on the pitch at the moment. I resent being told its because we're not top of the league either, it's nothing to do with that, it's just we aren't entertaining. 

This is an entertainment industry and we fail in that regard. We play slow, passive, patient and measured football and its not what we're used to. 

I'd much rather watch the football we played in the great escape season when we were rock bottom for half the year than this. Hell, even the Shakespeare and second season Ranieri spells were more enjoyable than half our games at the moment. 

This is a young team trying to evolve from a style ingrained in our team for a good few years to a fluid passing one. 

Rome wasn't built in a day and frankly you come across akin to those who 'expect to win the league every year' with your own post.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, walkerleeds said:

This is a young team trying to evolve from a style ingrained in our team for a good few years to a fluid passing one. 

Rome wasn't built in a day and frankly you come across akin to those who 'expect to win the league every year' with your own post.

You’re talking nonsense,he explained the exact reasons the Puel dislikers are not happy, and as he’s said it’s mostly nothing to do with league position,which if we were playing good football and showing signs of improvement, consistency over 90 minutes and consecutive matches and creating some decent chances each game ,we would be more than happy with,all this talk of spoilt and we expect top 4 etc is utter drivel.

Edited by elvisfmcfly
  • Like 1