Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Rafa Benitez

According to their local paper..

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/17388341.leicester-to-offer-benitez-a-summer-escape-from-newcastle/

LEICESTER CITY are ready to offer Rafael Benitez an escape route from Newcastle United in the summer, with the Spaniard looking increasingly likely to move on in the wake of yet another bitterly disappointing transfer window.

Benitez has resigned himself to a low-key few days ahead of Thursday’s transfer deadline, despite Newcastle’s failure to sign a single player since the window reopened at the start of the month.

The Magpies have rekindled their interest in Antonio Barreca after a proposed loan deal for Lazio’s Jordan Lukaku collapsed on Friday night, and the Monaco full-back is expected to sign in the next couple of days.

However, the club’s interest in Miguel Almiron remains at an impasse with Mike Ashleyrefusing to meet Atlanta United’s $25m asking price for the Paraguayan forward, and Newcastle’s owner remains extremely reluctant to invest significant sums into the playing squad while he attempts to sell up.

Benitez is adamant he will not walk away mid-season, and remains determined to ensure Newcastle achieve Premier League survival in the final four months of the current campaign, but his future beyond the summer is in major doubt.

He has refused to discuss a new contract at St James’ Park, and is understood to be at the top of Leicester’s wanted list if, as looks increasingly likely, they dispense with the services of Claude Puel before the start of next season.

Puel’s position has been vulnerable for a number of weeks, with the Leicester hierarchy concerned at a run of indifferent results and suggestions that the Frenchman is at loggerheads with a number of influential senior players.

Benitez has rebuffed approaches from a number of overseas clubs during his time in charge of Newcastle, but an offer from Leicester would make obvious appeal given the club’s position in the top half of the Premier League and the King Power Stadium board’s proven track record for substantial investment into the playing squad in the last few years.

Benitez wants to stay in England, having enjoyed his time in the North-East, but he also wants to lead a club he feels has a realistic chance of challenging for silverware in the next few seasons. Under Ashley, Newcastle show no sign of shifting from their current parsimonious approach.

They failed to reach the fifth round of the FA Cup for the 12th season in a row at the weekend, with second-half goals from Andre Gray and Isaac Success condemning them to a 2-0 defeat to Watford.

Benitez cut a disconsolate figure in the wake of his side’s latest home reverse, and steadfastly kept up his recent approach of refusing to discuss transfer matters despite the dramatic collapse of Lukaku’s proposed move late on Friday night.

“I will not talk too much about this,” said Benitez, when he was asked whether the next few days will have a major bearing on Newcastle’s future. “I have been talking about this for the last two years. I will just try to concentrate on the Manchester City game.”

In an increasingly tetchy discussion, he was asked whether he was really happy to be leaving transfer matters to other people, and he responded: “I will concentrate on the Man City game.”

When he was pressed again on the imminent transfer deadline, he said: “I will not talk about the transfer window, you have to ask, but you know my position. I can talk about transfers, but I don’t want to. I have nothing to say.”

That hardly sounds like a manager who is happy in his current position, and while it would cost Benitez around £6m to break his current contract, he will be free to leave for nothing in the summer.

Leicester are aware of his contractual situation, hence their unwillingness to move now. Puel will be given a chance to prove himself in the second half of the season, but a move for Benitez is anticipated if results do not improve in the next four months, along with a shift in the general mood at the King Power Stadium.

The mood on Tyneside is threatening to boil over, and while a loan deal for Barreca would at least provide some much-needed competition in the left-back berth, it would barely meet the minimum requirements of a squad that lacks quality in a number of areas.

Lukaku’s transfer collapsed on Friday night when problems emerged with the Belgian’s medical, and Newcastle’s recruitment team immediately rekindled their interest in Barreca, having spoken to the 23-year-old earlier in the week.

I can see the appeal of Brendan Rodgers especially after what he did at Swansea and his early days at Liverpool. He'll bring through youth and focus on attacking football. However I can't see the appeal of Benitez, he's very similar to Puel and Mourinho, generally defensive managers. Puels saving grace is that he does give youth a chance, under Benitez this wouldn't be the case.

• Like 1

It wouldn’t be the worst appointment but I’m not sure he’d be that interested or that he’s man to move the needle enough for us to get 6th or 7th consistently - we’re already a solid team, it’s just that we don’t score enough.

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

I'd imagine he'd just be one of a few on the list, if we don't see much improvement in performance then I can't see Puel sticking past the summer.

I think Puel is gone for whatever happens to be honest.

• Like 1

Ive always though that Rafa lands on his feet in many jobs and does well playing safe football. His way isnt to attack and thats when he has had quite a few offensive minded players at his clubs. I remember a mate telling me that his signings were largely crap back in the day. I know he bought the likes of Spaniards Alonso, Torres and Reina as well as Argie Mascherano but the list of turkeys in the transfer market of non-Spaniards was quite depressing for the scousers. 

I think Rafa is good,his record speaks for itself but Im not convinced the football will be much different. IMO he will be a more organised and regimented Puel. Whether the fanbase accepts that or not is open to debate LOL

Let's go for a younger, hungrier, up and and coming manager if a change happens. 

Rafa is way past his sell by date, also he loves Newcastle fc and the fans love him, why do we want to scupper that relationship. So so sad that some people can only think of Rafa as the only candidate for the next Leicester manager 

Edited by Crispin LA

I like him as a manager, just not for us. He'd be completely the wrong fit. We've got a young squad and we're complaining about lack of attacking excitement, and Benitez is a manager who plays ultra-defensive and safe and has no real record of bringing through youth.

I wouldn't be opposed to Rogers as I think he'd offer a bit more to the club than Benitez and is more likely to trust the younger players - including Benkovic, obviously.

Still prefer for us to keep Puel, however. I feel that when (if) it clicks and we start converting the chances we're creating/cut out the defensive errors, then we'll go on a positive run to end the season comfortably 7th, which should be enough to see him keep his job. It could of course go the other way, but I'm optimistic.

• Like 3